• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'd avoid this ebay seller - "misjif", aka ALL AMERICAN COLLECTIBLES

42 posts in this topic

I was asking him about the Action 36 he had- transcript:

me: Hi- what's the overall condition of this book? and do

you have a return policy?

seller: We do not accept returns.

me (bored at work, deciding to goof with him): so I'm supposed to buy a $600 book with a small picture, no description, no grade, and no returns? Thanks!  I'll be sure not to bother then.

seller: Hey, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be shopping for it.  If you need to ask about returns in the first place, you're going to argue whatever I say anyhow.  By the way, return policies are listed on the bottom of auctions, try reading them next time.

me: not wanted to get ripped off does not equate to not being able to afford it. You have absolutely no description of the book in your listing, and you cannot tell anything from a picture that size. For all a buyer would know, it is missing the back cover.

And you should reread your own auction. Nowhere in it does it state anything about a return policy, or lack thereof. Good luck with your auction.

regards, Matt

seller: Available returns are listed at the bottom of Ebay auctions, when applicable.  Any avid Ebayer should know this.  In the collectible market, no one in their right mind would take returns, as they could never guarantee that they would get back what they sold.  Having been in the comic business forever, I have NEVER seen a comic shop that takes returns.  Entering a transaction concerned with returns only makes me NOT want to get ripped off (plus I'd think 24,000 positive feedback speaks for itself).  Perhaps your going to miss out on a great comic due to your onw assumptions.  Well, you know what they say about those. 

Not that you haven't wasted enought of my time, or, that you deserve an explanation, but here goes.....  These initial books are part of a large local collection that I purchased years ago.  The first batch is going up to fund a new laptop and scanner so I can sell MUCH more online with better content.  The lack of definition on each book was due to the listing sale which made quantity more important than quality.  If I weren't so busy answering stupid and assanine e-mails, I could be updating those listings.  Having already sold $2000 in books based on reputation alone, I don't think "luck" is needed. 

Mark @ AAC

me (more and more amused by all this): having been in the comic business forever, I would have thought you could understand a person requesting something as simple as a grade on comic book as part of an internet sale. Apparently that is beyond your abilities to provide. Having been sold many comics with undisclosed defects such as missing centerfolds, married covers, interior writing, and inaccurate descriptions, I am no longer willing to buy non-CGC, nonreturnable comics over the internet. Thank you for answering my 'stupid emails'. I wish you good luck with your auctions.

regards, Matt

seller: Condition, yes.  Returnabiltiy no.  And when I said simply "we do not accept returns" you should have called it a day.  No, you had to turn into a *spoon*.  Once again, no luck involved, just patience to deal with people who want the world to work their way.  By the way, the last time a "known" dealer graded this book (and he probably low balled as he wanted to buy it) it was Fine+. 

me (finally bored of this exchange): Once again, thank you for your time. good luck with your auctions.

The guy is a *spoon*ing *spoon*head. He spends an hour typing all this stuff out about how busy he is when the exchange could have gone like this:

mattbird: Hi- what's the overall condition of this book? and do

seller: About a Fine+ and sorry, we do not accept returns.

The end.

me (bored at work, deciding to goof with him): so I'm supposed to buy a $600 book with a small picture, no description, no grade, and no returns? Thanks!  I'll be sure not to bother then.

seller: Hey, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be shopping for it.  If you need to ask about returns in the first place, you're going to argue whatever I say anyhow.  By the way, return policies are listed on the bottom of auctions, try reading them next time.

me: not wanted to get ripped off does not equate to not being able to afford it. You have absolutely no description of the book in your listing, and you cannot tell anything from a picture that size. For all a buyer would know, it is missing the back cover.

And you should reread your own auction. Nowhere in it does it state anything about a return policy, or lack thereof. Good luck with your auction.

regards, Matt

seller: Available returns are listed at the bottom of Ebay auctions, when applicable.  Any avid Ebayer should know this.  In the collectible market, no one in their right mind would take returns, as they could never guarantee that they would get back what they sold.  Having been in the comic business forever, I have NEVER seen a comic shop that takes returns.  Entering a transaction concerned with returns only makes me NOT want to get ripped off (plus I'd think 24,000 positive feedback speaks for itself).  Perhaps your going to miss out on a great comic due to your onw assumptions.  Well, you know what they say about those. 

Not that you haven't wasted enought of my time, or, that you deserve an explanation, but here goes.....  These initial books are part of a large local collection that I purchased years ago.  The first batch is going up to fund a new laptop and scanner so I can sell MUCH more online with better content.  The lack of definition on each book was due to the listing sale which made quantity more important than quality.  If I weren't so busy answering stupid and assanine e-mails, I could be updating those listings.  Having already sold $2000 in books based on reputation alone, I don't think "luck" is needed. 

Mark @ AAC

me (more and more amused by all this): having been in the comic business forever, I would have thought you could understand a person requesting something as simple as a grade on comic book as part of an internet sale. Apparently that is beyond your abilities to provide. Having been sold many comics with undisclosed defects such as missing centerfolds, married covers, interior writing, and inaccurate descriptions, I am no longer willing to buy non-CGC, nonreturnable comics over the internet. Thank you for answering my 'stupid emails'. I wish you good luck with your auctions.

regards, Matt

seller: Condition, yes.  Returnabiltiy no.  And when I said simply "we do not accept returns" you should have called it a day.  No, you had to turn into a *spoon*.  Once again, no luck involved, just patience to deal with people who want the world to work their way.  By the way, the last time a "known" dealer graded this book (and he probably low balled as he wanted to buy it) it was Fine+. 

me (finally bored of this exchange): Once again, thank you for your time. good luck with your auctions.

The guy is a *spoon*ing *spoon*head. He spends an hour typing all this stuff out about how busy he is when the exchange could have gone like this:

mattbird: Hi- what's the overall condition of this book? and do

seller: About a Fine+ and sorry, we do not accept returns.

The end.

This also, is another completely valid way of looking at this. Very well put and perhaps exactly the way it should have gone.Although, having seen the way arguments can get out of hand on these boards, I have to assume that something, perhaps the initial response to his auction, set this guy off into argumentative mode. Some people can be set off easily and others can be good at setting people off, in fact, some people really enjoy mixing it up. Myself, I'll just ignore the auctions and hope it turns out well for nearmint, he deserves it, with his even handed approach. It takes a certain amount of strength to rise above it all. Still, it would have been nice if the initial response had been like the above quote.

oh, I was looking for trouble with my follow up message, no doubt. I was just put off by his initial rude response, and in the mood to mix it up. smile.gif I'm sure he has great books, but who cares? My hobby is for my enjoyment, and I would not want to do business with someone who is not at the least cordial to me.

There is a specific dealer I see at comic shows who, when asked a question, or asking to see a book, will act annoyed at you, only briefly looking up from his eBay browsing to grunt a half answer. he has AWESOME books, but I simply will not buy from him on principle.

There is a specific dealer I see at comic shows who, when asked a question, or asking to see a book, will act annoyed at you, only briefly looking up from his eBay browsing to grunt a half answer. he has AWESOME books, but I simply will not buy from him on principle.

'Buy by the seller's manner's, not the grade'. I actaully wish it was true. Just simple plain cordial behaviour is so much more important these days, and in particular with ebay where face to face dealings are missing. With Mr misjif, he seems to use is feedback rating as some excuse for outright obnoxious behaviour. And then as it was pointed out, takes 'time and effort' to be particularly lengthy in his tersness.

Well at the end day, he's the one that will pay for the attitude that he adopts.

One word.. looser.

nah, i think he's just a grumpy old guy. Doesn't seem to be out and out malicious.

I don't know - I got some choice emails from him after I pointed him to this thread - he accused me of "not being a man and hiding behind my keyboard". I told him where I lived in Ohio and he was more than welcome to stop by anytime to find out if I'm hiding or not.

So I have a small child and turn the ringers off at night. Apparently this psycho found my number online and called me at home! He didn't leave a message either.

This guy's nuts, and my wife refused to let me call him back.

nah, i think he's just a grumpy old guy. Doesn't seem to be out and out malicious.

I don't know - I got some choice emails from him after I pointed him to this thread - he accused me of "not being a man and hiding behind my keyboard". I told him where I lived in Ohio and he was more than welcome to stop by anytime to find out if I'm hiding or not.

So I have a small child and turn the ringers off at night. Apparently this psycho found my number online and called me at home! He didn't leave a message either.

27_laughing.gif! Now there's a man who needs an *spoon* beating like no other. What a loser.

27_laughing.gif! Now there's a man who needs an *spoon* beating like no other. What a loser.

Actually, I am enjoying it. If Shield likes to stir up a hornets nest, he should be prepared when they come to sting him...

Interesting...

I though this seller's name was familiar and sure enough it was who I was thinking about. While in Japan my wife and I won atleast 5 auctions from this seller for DVD box sets and never had any problems at all.

The seller even seemed real friendly and sent us an extra DVD with one of our orders, not to mention they were willing to ship to an FPO and had very good prices on their DVD sets. Communiaction was always pleasant.

Now, I never saw them offering comics at that time, so that experience could be much different. It just doesn't even sound like the same person doing the communicating now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agree,

What are you thinking calling this guy out without knowing who or what he is capable of. Especially if you are married with kids.

All this over funny books foreheadslap.gif

I should also add that I have been guilty of this once in the past, definately not worth the time or aggrevation confused-smiley-013.gif

I mean, come on now, what do people expect when someone starts a thread and trashes a sellers reputation, flowers? I don't care if the guy rubs you the wrong way, ignore him, don't buy from him but don't go after him and expect him not to respond. I have to agree with Drice on this one.

Agree,

What are you thinking calling this guy out without knowing who or what he is capable of. Especially if you are married with kids.

All this over funny books foreheadslap.gif

I should also add that I have been guilty of this once in the past, definately not worth the time or aggrevation confused-smiley-013.gif

You're right - we never call people who sell funny books out on these boards... screwy.gif

Besides - he's the one who got pretty nasty first. I'm also quite comfortable defending myself. You see that he's obviously just got a short fuse if you ask him for more detail on a book and he goes nuts like that. Other sellers have been called out for much less.

I mean, come on now, what do people expect when someone starts a thread and trashes a sellers reputation, flowers? I don't care if the guy rubs you the wrong way, ignore him, don't buy from him but don't go after him and expect him not to respond. I have to agree with Drice on this one.

I have Drice on ignore, so I'll assume he somehow managed to agree with the seller in this case. Vince, you're the master of hiding behind your keyboard. poke2.gif

I have Drice on ignore, so I'll assume he somehow managed to agree with the seller in this case. Vince, you're the master of hiding behind your keyboard. poke2.gif

Hey look, more attacks. screwy.gif

The point is, Shield is the one that pushed the guy - a bully tactic that he is famous for, by the way. He tries to come across as the innocent one in this whole affair, but I have my doubts. Take it for what it is worth.

regards, Matt

Mark @ AAC

regards, Matt

Wow, Matt. Sounds like you got just about the same response I did! Seems like this guy is pretty defensive of the books he's selling, don't you think? I wonder why he even bothers listing them if it's too much of a hassle to respond to simple questions about item descriptions?

Wow, Matt. Sounds like you got just about the same response I did! Seems like this guy is pretty defensive of the books he's selling, don't you think? I wonder why he even bothers listing them if it's too much of a hassle to respond to simple questions about item descriptions?

It does seem like this guy only goes out of his way to be obnoxious. Anything to do with being, nice, conducting himself in a resonable manner is all far too much effort.

Defend, or ignore this guy and his kind of behaviour at your peril!