• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'd avoid this ebay seller - "misjif", aka ALL AMERICAN COLLECTIBLES

42 posts in this topic

So, I collect golden age. This seller lists two books I'm interested in; a Pep Comics #2 and a Zip Comics #20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180076661169&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

Here's the entire description:

"Up for sale is the aforementioned comic as pictured below. US bidders only. Checks held. 5561_1.JPG "

So I ask him a question via the EBAY messaging:

"Will you send me high resolution scans of the front and back of your MLJ books? Please note any defects, paper quality, any detached staples, etc. I am a very serious buyer. Please email everything to shawn@goldcomics.com

Thanks!"

I get this back from him:

"No scanner available at this time. Hope to have one by the next listing.

Mark @ AAC"

Me: You can’t describe the book(s) in any greater detail?

Him: "Did that for the first 2 days only to find out that people...

A) Don't trust independent grading.

B) Still refused to purchase without a scan.

C) Have nothing better to do than test to see if I'm stupid.

D) Want something for nothing.

The last dealer to look at the Pep 2 said he felt it was Very Good. I didn't plan to list these without scans and info BUT a 20 cent listing motivated me to do so as is. The first two days funded a new lap top. Hoping the next two will finish the package with a scanner. Then, I'll have some serious listing of what's left and a lot more (but probably auction style).

Mark @ AAC

Me: Well, with all due respect, would you buy a $500 comic book from 1940 with a small picture and no real description of the book’s defects? I’m not asking for an overall grade, just a list of defects on the book. I’ve bought about 50,000 worth of comics in the last 6 years, so if you want to lump all prospective buyers into one category then that’s up to you. If you’d like to provide more information for true buyers like myself and actually sell these books, by all means, please do.

Until then I just don’t have enough information to bid. I have a Pep 3, 4 and that #2 would go nicely with them.

Thanks!

Him: OK. It'll still be there if you're interested. And yes, I've bought $500 (and higher) books with less info than a picture and grade from an Senior Overstreet advisor. Sure, I want to sell these books, but don't have to and am quite satisfied with the sales I've made considering the little effort and, above all, cheap listings offered. I can fully appreciate someone who wants to wait for more info on the books, but you, as well as many others, have acted like I have some responsibility to do more RIGHT NOW. If what's offered is not to your liking, by all means, don't buy it. If and when I relist it and the info you see is there for you to make a more informed purchasing decision--GREAT. But, with all due respect, had your initial e-mail been more precise, I might have treated you different. but it lumped you in with all the others, not me.

Mark @ AAC

Me (Obviously done with this guy by this point): Are you serious? Had my initial email been more precise? How about your stupid auction being more precise? You list an item from 67 years ago, post a chitty tiny little picture and absolutely no description of the product. I was quite specific and asked you to see more pictures and more item description.

Are you a Senior Overstreet advisor? No? Then why would someone buy from you with such little description? I and others act like you have some responsibility to do more Right now? All I asked was “Will you send me high resolution scans of the front and back of all your MLJ books? Please note any defects, paper quality, any detached staples, etc. I am a very serious buyer. Please email everything to shawn@goldcomics.com Thanks!”

Anyway, you can keep this comics – your attitude sucks. If Ebay is too much work for you, perhaps it’s time for you to get a real job instead of person_without_enough_empathying about maintaining your 19,000 feedback.

27_laughing.gif

I know who you're talking about. He has an early Fox book I was interested in, but a ludicrously high pricetag and the same "concise" description as on the Pep #2.

I know you want the book, but I'm amazed you continued chatting with him past the first exchange. Even if he provided scans, if he's that unwilling to help, any transaction is going to be a gamble. Better to pass...you'll find it somewhere else. thumbsup2.gif

Even if he provided scans, if he's that unwilling to help, any transaction is going to be a gamble. Better to pass...you'll find it somewhere else. thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. They guy is obviously being evasive for a reason. He posts no information other than what book he is auctioning off and a tiny scan of it. This way, he can send you the book and you really have no recourse if you aren't satisfied with it. He could smear a dog turd in the centerfold and there isn't anything you could complain about since he didn't assign a grade or give any details of it's condition.

Even if he provided scans, if he's that unwilling to help, any transaction is going to be a gamble. Better to pass...you'll find it somewhere else. thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. They guy is obviously being evasive for a reason. He posts no information other than what book he is auctioning off and a tiny scan of it. This way, he can send you the book and you really have no recourse if you aren't satisfied with it. He could smear a dog turd in the centerfold and there isn't anything you could complain about since he didn't assign a grade or give any details of it's condition.

Dog turd 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Yep, it's a drag how some people can act on

Ebay and in life, but pick your battles. this

person isn't worth squat.

I am curious if, and what his response was to

your last e-mail.

What an idjit, for the effort he put into the e-mail responses he could have at least come up with something.

He lists tens of thousands of $ "worth" of books, and he sells enough to buy a laptop for a few hundred and he thinks that means he needn't be more specific.

If he just included classically vague ebay descriptions with his photos, he'd probably sell a few more books without committing himself to a proper grade.

It always pays to do due diligence when buying on eBay -- but more and more I am beginning to think this includes an assessment of a seller's choice of eBay name.

If a person's selection of a user ID is reflective of their personality ...

Dennis

Oh exactly. I sent him a link to this thread then I blocked his email address. He's been blacklisted from sending me email.

Of course, I'm trying to get something for nothing / clueless because I ask for further detail on a $500 book.

Just goes to show that any *spoon* can sell on ebay. Don't worry, I won't be bidding on any of his stuff, and I hope you all do likewise. grin.gif

I took a chance and bought this from them...

mark.action36.jpg

But only after he mentioned that Harley had graded it 6.0 when he was trying to buy it from him.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

That looks like a pretty nice cover, great cover gloss. Hopefully there isn't any undisclosed restoration. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was asking him about the Action 36 he had- transcript:

me: Hi- what's the overall condition of this book? and do

you have a return policy?

seller: We do not accept returns.

me (bored at work, deciding to goof with him): so I'm supposed to buy a $600 book with a small picture, no description, no grade, and no returns? Thanks!  I'll be sure not to bother then.

seller: Hey, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be shopping for it.  If you need to ask about returns in the first place, you're going to argue whatever I say anyhow.  By the way, return policies are listed on the bottom of auctions, try reading them next time.

me: not wanted to get ripped off does not equate to not being able to afford it. You have absolutely no description of the book in your listing, and you cannot tell anything from a picture that size. For all a buyer would know, it is missing the back cover.

And you should reread your own auction. Nowhere in it does it state anything about a return policy, or lack thereof. Good luck with your auction.

regards, Matt

seller: Available returns are listed at the bottom of Ebay auctions, when applicable.  Any avid Ebayer should know this.  In the collectible market, no one in their right mind would take returns, as they could never guarantee that they would get back what they sold.  Having been in the comic business forever, I have NEVER seen a comic shop that takes returns.  Entering a transaction concerned with returns only makes me NOT want to get ripped off (plus I'd think 24,000 positive feedback speaks for itself).  Perhaps your going to miss out on a great comic due to your onw assumptions.  Well, you know what they say about those. 

Not that you haven't wasted enought of my time, or, that you deserve an explanation, but here goes.....  These initial books are part of a large local collection that I purchased years ago.  The first batch is going up to fund a new laptop and scanner so I can sell MUCH more online with better content.  The lack of definition on each book was due to the listing sale which made quantity more important than quality.  If I weren't so busy answering stupid and assanine e-mails, I could be updating those listings.  Having already sold $2000 in books based on reputation alone, I don't think "luck" is needed. 

Mark @ AAC

me (more and more amused by all this): having been in the comic business forever, I would have thought you could understand a person requesting something as simple as a grade on comic book as part of an internet sale. Apparently that is beyond your abilities to provide. Having been sold many comics with undisclosed defects such as missing centerfolds, married covers, interior writing, and inaccurate descriptions, I am no longer willing to buy non-CGC, nonreturnable comics over the internet. Thank you for answering my 'stupid emails'. I wish you good luck with your auctions.

regards, Matt

seller: Condition, yes.  Returnabiltiy no.  And when I said simply "we do not accept returns" you should have called it a day.  No, you had to turn into a *spoon*.  Once again, no luck involved, just patience to deal with people who want the world to work their way.  By the way, the last time a "known" dealer graded this book (and he probably low balled as he wanted to buy it) it was Fine+. 

me (finally bored of this exchange): Once again, thank you for your time. good luck with your auctions.

He sounds like a true spoon....someone should point out to him that, in fact, MOST reputable Comic Book stores DO take returns when doing online purchasing...ComicLink, Metropolis, Mile High, etc...whay a twerp

he is a complete spoon- but, just as NearMint did, I would have bought the Action 36 if I could afford to lose that much cash, but I'm just not willing to gamble. It's a good bet that the book is at least a fine.

plus, I just refuse to buy from spoons on principle.

I sent him a lengthy email last night with some constructive criticism, and invited him to post some books in the marketplace after he gets his new scanner. Our emails have been very cordial, and I tried to get across last night how frustrating it can be for a collector to really want a book they see on eBay, and not even be able to get a grade on it.

I sent him a lengthy email last night with some constructive criticism, and invited him to post some books in the marketplace after he gets his new scanner. Our emails have been very cordial, and I tried to get across last night how frustrating it can be for a collector to really want a book they see on eBay, and not even be able to get a grade on it.

That sounds like a very good approach to dealing with the seller, I'll be curious to see how the transaction turns out. He sounds like a person who gives as good as he takes. Most likely the rapport you've established with the seller by not behaving in an adversarial fashion, will make it possible to return a book if the need arises. I think that there are people who believe that all auctions are final, does anyone know how regular auction house handle returns? Other than Heritage.