• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the OA 'Kiss of Death'?

75 posts in this topic

On another thread, a member posted that unpublished covers were the "kiss of death" for an OA collector. There was some strong disagreement -- and some gorgeous unpublished covers shown -- before the thread dwindled away.

But it got me thinking about the factors that diminish collectibility of OA. Not a true k.o.d., just something that lowers the value of a piece of original comic art. And I remembered receiving a piece of comic art that instantly dropped in value as I took it from its packaging.

It was from a small press publisher and I'd contacted the artist directly. I admire the artist and I still enjoy the cover...but I do wish he hadn't written (in the body of the cover itself) "To Hal!, Best wishes --"....

On another thread, a member posted that unpublished covers were the "kiss of death" for an OA collector. There was some strong disagreement -- and some gorgeous unpublished covers shown -- before the thread dwindled away.

But it got me thinking about the factors that diminish collectibility of OA. Not a true k.o.d., just something that lowers the value of a piece of original comic art. And I remembered receiving a piece of comic art that instantly dropped in value as I took it from its packaging.

It was from a small press publisher and I'd contacted the artist directly. I admire the artist and I still enjoy the cover...but I do wish he hadn't written (in the body of the cover itself) "To Hal!, Best wishes --"....

Mis-placed salutations/signatures, as you suggest, are unwelcome within the main image. 893whatthe.gif

Of the top-of-my-head, artwork that originally existed as pen & ink (b&w) line art later receiving the color treatment is another no-no 893naughty-thumb.gif

Mis-placed salutations/signatures, as you suggest, are unwelcome within the main image. 893whatthe.gif

Of the top-of-my-head, artwork that originally existed as pen & ink (b&w) line art later receiving the color treatment is another no-no 893naughty-thumb.gif

Terry; that might be the top of the list. Another thing that turns me off is when a piece has been poorly restored and has re-inking and/or too much bleaching. 893whatthe.gif Dan

Another thing that turns me off is when a piece has been poorly restored and has re-inking and/or too much bleaching. 893whatthe.gif Dan

Yep, that's a good one . . . can't say I'm overly-fond of some of the 'restoration' practices employed by Robert Dennis who's done work for Heritage.

Another OA 'Kiss of Death', for me, is bad memories attached to artwork deals.

Quite a few of my favourite originals have fond personal memories attached to them. That is, I can look at many pieces and recall how I came about acquiring them (the background history) This might have involved driving lengthy round-trips around the country (United Kingdom) to meet-up with fellow-collectors to complete deals in person.

Very few deals have unpleasant memories attached to them.

The absolute worse deal I ever completed with anyone, was a trade with Gary Land, who owns Comicart-l. I started-off trying to do the guy a favour, but he was so full of himself - treating me like some kind of low-life - that to this day I've never forgotten or forgiven his actions. The artwork I received from him quickly went from being something of aesthetic worth - to being a source of annoyance - and I quickly got shut of the art.

I can't stand personalized signatures on original art. It's a shame that people aren't particular about what and where the artist signs the work. I'd rather have no signature than a personalized one or one that is within the image area. In fact, I prefer artist signatures in pencil on the outside edge.

Terry; that's interesting that you should bring that up. I don't know why it didn't jump into my mind when thinking about this topic, but I think you are in fact right. I guess it might seem strange to some but I have sold pieces just because the deal was such a bummer that I never got over the bad taste. There are pieces that I've paid too much for but I still seem to cherish those, but if I was treated so poorly during the deal or had to jump through so many hoops I almost always have a bit of a sour feeling when I look at the art. Of course, it is usually coupled with paying too much, but just paying too much on its own doesnt seem to give me the same feeling. I'm afraid it has happened more than once. confused.gif

By the same token, I usually sour on the piece during the 'nasty' negotiations but before the purchase and never look at it again, even if someone else owns it. The piece just becomes tainted in my mind and I lose all interest. I wonder if this happens to alot of collectors. I mean really, the art should stand alone by itself despite the present owners foibles, but I display most of my art and looking at the piece usually jogs all the memories nostalgic and what it took to get it. frustrated.gif

Another kod to some is when they had a bad experience with the artist. I have a friend who was treated rather poorly by a top name artist and he will never look at work by that artist. Christo_pull_hair.gif Dan

Another kod to some is when they had a bad experience with the artist. I have a friend who was treated rather poorly by a top name artist and he will never look at work by that artist. Christo_pull_hair.gif Dan

A bad experience with an artist would keep me from purchasing his/her original artwork, no matter how much I liked the work. The good thing is that by far most of the artists I have met have been very kind.

Since they are all one of a kind pieces I don't know that there is anything that would make me not buy a piece.

But misplaced sigs, colored OA, dedications, bad condiditon, lots of white out ... they are all things that would make me pay a lot, lot less.

In my limited experience the kiss of death has been one (or some combination) of the following:

1.) The "bad taste" deal that sours the OA.

2.) Buyers remorse after overpaying. (This often accompanies #3...)

3.) Underwhelming art that looked great as a jpeg, but not so great in person.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

4.) Flipping a piece of art soon after purchasing it (due to 1, 2, or 3.) It's incredibly easy for a piece to be shunned when buyers see someone making a quick turnaround after just picking it up. The thought must be "wow -- there must really be something wrong with that!!"

Never experienced these but agree they would kill the value:

Misplaced signature, colorization, relationship with artist turns sour.

Oh, and buying a page of "historical significance" that is later retconned.

Unpublished art. While not exactly the kiss of death, it is definitely worth less than published artwork.

Pencilled only pages come to mind as another factor involved in the devaluation of the art as well as pages without lettering although to a lesser extent.

I too hate seeing the signatures within the art area. I've got several signed pages but they're all signed outside the image area. I even got one page personalized to me from John Byrne but specifically requested it be outside the image area. It was a cheap page and it's a keeper for me and I wanted the personalization so I don't care about the resale value.

I can't stand personalized signatures on original art. It's a shame that people aren't particular about what and where the artist signs the work. I'd rather have no signature than a personalized one or one that is within the image area. In fact, I prefer artist signatures in pencil on the outside edge.

As a non-OA collector, I find this position to be very interesting and perhaps contrary to practice in the "real" art world. After all, isn't "real" art signed by the artist? Or is it that with OA you only want the signature if it was part of the art as originally published?

As a non-OA collector, I find this position to be very interesting and perhaps contrary to practice in the "real" art world. After all, isn't "real" art signed by the artist? Or is it that with OA you only want the signature if it was part of the art as originally published?

I think he means the "To Billy Bob, best regards, Jack Kirby" rather than simply "Jack Kirby".

A personalized signature might affect the art price for a lower end page (one or two hundred bucks max) but I suspect if the cover to amazing fantasy #15 turns up, I don't think any signature would matter. The same would apply to higher end pieces in the $500+ range.

The only exception of course if the signature and dedication is HUGE and alters the art! =)

Malvin

A personalized signature might affect the art price for a lower end page (one or two hundred bucks max) but I suspect if the cover to amazing fantasy #15 turns up, I don't think any signature would matter. The same would apply to higher end pieces in the $500+ range.

The only exception of course if the signature and dedication is HUGE and alters the art! =)

Malvin

Yeah, I can just imagine it . . . the cover to AMAZING FANTASY # 15 comes up for sale, which a huge personalized message right across the main image, "To K.K., best wishes from Jack and Steve!" 27_laughing.gif