• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada from U.S. - Filling out the custom form

22 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to send my first comic package to Canada using Global Priority. I want this transaction to go as smooth as possible and not have the receiver have to absorb any custom fees.

I've sent non comic packages to Canada and always was able to use the "gift" option on the slip. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with a comic package?

Any info on shipping from U.S. to Canada is welcome.

I'm getting ready to send my first comic package to Canada using Global Priority. I want this transaction to go as smooth as possible and not have the receiver have to absorb any custom fees.

I've sent non comic packages to Canada and always was able to use the "gift" option on the slip. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with a comic package?

Any info on shipping from U.S. to Canada is welcome.

You "CAN" check whatever box you want! But, if this is a transaction where you accepted payment, it is a commercial shipment. You are supposed to check the Other box and declare the country of origin, the special code, and the value paid for the items.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one on the planet who does that, though. The "gift" box is standard operating procedure.

I always ask my sellers to put "comics, gift, $10.00". Don't include a receipt of payment with the comics in case customs wants to open the package. With Global Priority, it's nice to have the tracking number. For me, that's enough piece of mind....even if I'm having a $200 item sent to me. Mind you, I would talk to the receiver and ask him/her how they want to handle it. I'd make it clear that if they want you to declare a low value for the item, this will be their full responsibility if something happens during shipping.

Andy

I used to just check gift all the time. The clerk at my old P.O. in Fl. read me the riot act one day though, so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I only had one problem. I had sent a framed poster to Canada, and the receiver claimed damage. Since I had put a minimal value, that's all that was able to be claimed on the insurance part. Some types of mail give automatic insurance.

If you know and/or are comfortable with buyer, it's a lot easier.

Another thing to consider is that Canada Customs is becoming fanatical about package inspection and catching this type of stuff.

Example:

I bought an FF 25 off Ebay and the seller overnighted it and declared the value at 1 dollar. Customs opened my package to inspect it, knew the value was over that, made me come from the city to their airport depot and would not release the package unless I could prove the value, which meant I had to bring along the ebay auction.

Short story: They made me drive 1 hour out of the city during work hours, to prove the value which was 56 dollars, so they could charge me the actual customs fees: a total of 5 dollars!

Don't mess with them.

Declare correct value.

One other thing, do NOT put "comics" or "collectibles" on the declaration of contents. Ask your postal service for better descriptive options but it is a known fact that the word "comics" on the box is an automatic flag for postal employee theft of your package.

In the last 2 years I have had 11 packages simply go missing.

Artboy99

One other thing, do NOT put "comics" or "collectibles" on the declaration of contents. Ask your postal service for better descriptive options but it is a known fact that the word "comics" on the box is an automatic flag for postal employee theft of your package.

I've started putting "Used Books" down the last few years.

Sounds the safest! thumbsup2.gif

I've started putting "Used Books" down the last few years.

Sounds the safest! thumbsup2.gif

I've done the same or listed them as "used collector's comics". I've not had any packages stolen.

I declare the correct value and insure it appropriately -- that way if there is loss or theft the item will be covered. Because I am registered as a retail business and pay taxes I don't lie on my customs forms. Sure it's a pain, but I don't want to risk my business by getting in trouble for improper documentation. confused-smiley-013.gif

I always ask my sellers to put "comics, gift, $10.00". Don't include a receipt of payment with the comics in case customs wants to open the package. With Global Priority, it's nice to have the tracking number. For me, that's enough piece of mind....even if I'm having a $200 item sent to me. Mind you, I would talk to the receiver and ask him/her how they want to handle it. I'd make it clear that if they want you to declare a low value for the item, this will be their full responsibility if something happens during shipping.

Andy

how do you get a tracking number with global priority? The only way they let me get insurance/tracking is to send it regular parcel post airmail.

Andy

how do you get a tracking number with global priority? The only way they let me get insurance/tracking is to send it regular parcel post airmail.

There's a shipment number that acts like a tracking number until it arrives to Customs.

aah so you have proof it left the US foreheadslap.gifyeahok.gif

Actually, it's more than that - you can track the book on Canada Post's website...or so I hear. It's weird that you can't track it on the USPS site though? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always indicate "books" on the postal form and that's it.

I don't recommend that you call it a gift. Canada Post may be inefficient. They may even be stupid. But they see enough of this so that the scam is not worth trying. Though it works most of the time you are buying a huge headache when it doesn't.

Call the comics "collectable magazines". It seems there is no specific catagory for comic books. They may be like stamps and coins, they may be like magazines. Collectable magazines covers both.

Note that they are "Traded between collectors". The word "traded" refers to trade between our countries, not two Little Lulu's for one Donald Duck.

And note that they are "Not for Resale". Collectables are duty free under most circumstances but not when they are to be flipped.

Do NOT put down "ebay transaction". They will charge duties.

And if you are Canadian sending it the other way, write down, "Printed in the USA".

Now you still may get stung. But this is honest (in most of our situations) and works. You shouldn't have to pay tax. Comics should fall under our free trade agreement.

I obtained this information from the gang at Fedex when sending an expensive comic to the states. It has not failed me.

P.S. Doing it this way doesn't mess things up when you want to insure the package. After all why would you be giving a $500 gift to someone with a last name different then your own who lives in another country? (Sure, we can all come up with answers but it's not much fun sitting in a room trying to be convincing, wondering if you are going to charged with postal fraud).

Actually, it's more than that - you can track the book on Canada Post's website...or so I hear. It's weird that you can't track it on the USPS site though? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes you can. If it's scanned in at the USPS, you can track the whole journey. However, sometimes it's not scanned in until it is done by the Canada Post officials. Then you can see what's happening on the Canada Post website.

Yes you can. If it's scanned in at the USPS, you can track the whole journey. However, sometimes it's not scanned in until it is done by the Canada Post officials. Then you can see what's happening on the Canada Post website.

Don't you need both the envelope number and shipment number for that? Or will the shipment number work on its own?

Don't you need both the envelope number and shipment number for that? Or will the shipment number work on its own?

You'll need the serial number. It's usual LY (bunch of numbers ) US or LC (bunch of numbers) US

I don't recommend that you call it a gift. Canada Post may be inefficient. They may even be stupid. But they see enough of this so that the scam is not worth trying. Though it works most of the time you are buying a huge headache when it doesn't.

Call the comics "collectable magazines". It seems there is no specific catagory for comic books. They may be like stamps and coins, they may be like magazines. Collectable magazines covers both.

Note that they are "Traded between collectors". The word "traded" refers to trade between our countries, not two Little Lulu's for one Donald Duck.

And note that they are "Not for Resale". Collectables are duty free under most circumstances but not when they are to be flipped.

Do NOT put down "ebay transaction". They will charge duties.

This is good advice.

"Old Books" will get through without customs charges. "Comic Books" will have to pay. sign-rantpost.gif

Dennis