• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What 5 Golden Age books would you pick if.........

32 posts in this topic

Ok guys.....I am being pulled deeper and deeper into the GA market....and I'm lovin' it! I would like to know what 5 books you would pick, assuming you could find them, with the following criteria/limitations:

1. VF unrestored raw or CGC graded

2. off-white / light cream PQ or better

3.. $8k - $10k price per book max

4. 1942 or earlier

5. any genre or publisher

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions thumbsup2.gif

Ok guys.....I am being pulled deeper and deeper into the GA market....and I'm lovin' it! I would like to know what 5 books you would pick, assuming you could find them, with the following criteria/limitations:

4. 1942 or earlier

Everything I want in that price range, from that period, needs to be restored to be in VF for $8 to 10K..

The Comics Magazine #1 [Comics Magazine Company]

Star Comics #1 [Chesler]

Wonder Comics #1 [Fox]

Blue Ribbon Comics #1 [MLJ]

Police Comics #1 [Quality]

Nice choices!

Add The Comics Magazine for me as well!

On the esoteric side you could try and complete a run of Large Feature comics either 1939 or 1942 series. Like the 4 color run it has various characters from Lone Ranger to Popeye. Impossible to find in VF or better and less chance of restoration since they were funny books. But if you do find one it won't cost the same as the name brand lines. Fits in well with your platinum interests too.

I get first dibs on the Feature 8 with Bugs Bunny though.

Ed

On the esoteric side you could try and complete a run of Large Feature comics either 1939 or 1942 series. Like the 4 color run it has various characters from Lone Ranger to Popeye. Impossible to find in VF or better and less chance of restoration since they were funny books. But if you do find one it won't cost the same as the name brand lines. Fits in well with your platinum interests too.

I get first dibs on the Feature 8 with Bugs Bunny though.

Ed

Tried once, gave up when it became clear it was futile.

Everything I want in that price range, from that period, needs to be restored to be in VF for $8 to 10K..

I understand with my limitations this one is a toughy....... I recently found out about this VF+ raw unrestored gem, which sold a few months ago for $10k, and it inspired me to start this thread:

1601488-MarvelMysteryComics-10-8.75-DET.jpg

1601488-MarvelMysteryComics-10-8.75-DET.jpg.acdba5835dcea826a39b1b41287d48b8.jpg

I understand with my limitations this one is a toughy....... I recently found out about this VF+ raw unrestored gem, which sold a few months ago for $10k, and it inspired me to start this thread:

1601488-MarvelMysteryComics-10-8.75-DET.jpg

That's one of the nicest copies I have ever seen althought your price range vs grade is a bit of a challenge. I'm of course a big Timely fan but I might consider the following:

- More Fun #54 - Metro has a few 8.0's just over $10K.

- Human Torch #12.

- An early Church Target Comic with the White Streak on the cover.

That's all I can think of for now, would probably buy a few books from the late 40's in very high grade as well.

Some comics where an 8.0 should go for less than 10k

Funnies 64 (if it exists)

Walt Disney 22 Flag cover 9.2 copy

Looney Tunes 1 10 Flag Cover HGC

What do the NY City Fair comics go for in 8.0? These are pretty common so maybe a 1939 issue isn't out of the question for 10K, 1940 issue would be an easy find.

Ed

4. 1942 or earlier

I don't know that I could get any of the 5 I would pick for 10 grand each.

I would Pick the Following though.

Adventure 40

Suspense 3

Tec 34

Tec 8

Daredevil # 1 ( Daredevil battles hitler)

Wow.. some good choices in this thread already.

I think I'd go with:

The Comics Magazine 1

More Fun 54

Marvel Mystery 10

Silver Streak 1

and Daredevil Battles Hitler

(honorable mention: Captain America comics 2 & 3, and Startling comics 49 which would've definitely made the list if we could choose books from 1945 and earlier.)

Pre Batman Tecs !

Their amongst the oldest comicbooks[in the modern format] There covers are the most gorgious artistically speaking of the entire Detective run.[i love Flessel]

They are the most affordible of the vintage goldenage Tec run [believe it or not]

They are actually out their in low grade unrestored] I mean theres more than I thought there were.There is growth potential in the undervalued Pre Batman Tec run.Its been undervalued for years.Your literally buying the very beginnings of the D.C universe. [with the exceptions of the New funs] Which were not in the modern comicbook format as they call it.

Pre Batman Tecs !

Their amongst the oldest comicbooks[in the modern format] There covers are the most gorgious artistically speaking of the entire Detective run.[i love Flessel]

They are the most affordible of the vintage goldenage Tec run [believe it or not]

They are actually out their in low grade unrestored] I mean theres more than I thought there were.There is growth potential in the undervalued Pre Batman Tec run.Its been undervalued for years.Your literally buying the very beginnings of the D.C universe. [with the exceptions of the New funs] Which were not in the modern comicbook format as they call it.

hello all...

well said...I know Steve likes the early Tecs...tough to get VF's for under 10K, but I have bought multiples of all early Tecs 29-37 in the last year, and I agree, you can't go wrong!

rick