• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM 1st Comic

5 posts in this topic

This was the first book I ever bought....got it when it came out in 1983 (remember that year??!) So be kind....its not a 9.8, but figured I would put it up just for gits and shiggles yay.gif

Pages are Tan...the major defect is the soiling (from something spilled many, many moons ago) on the front and back cover (soiling is not inside the book)...

SM1030.jpg

SM1031.jpg

Soiling to front cover is tough to see in the scan... assuming it's as bad on the front as it appears on the back cover, I think 6.0 is as high as it can go...

Not bad for your first comic, tho - my very first comic is lost to time; a 15-cent Jimmy Olsen I begged my dad to buy for me at a diner in Bethel, CT... I'm guessing it's in about 1.5 shape by now wink.gif

Back when I started collecting, condition was pretty secondary, especially to me and my friends... took me a couple of years to gain some appreciation of higher-grade comics... when I got that first shipment of "NM" books from Robert Bell (which were in fact in grades ranging from FN/VF to NM-), I really started to 'get it' and took better care of my comics. But the first ones I owned and are still in my collection are largely in VG to FN range - at best!

so wait, a book that might be a F/Vf or VF (tan pages, some spine ticks, blunted corners) is a 6.0 with a stain that covers 20% of the front and back cover? Sounds pretty generous to me. I guess I'm going to have to pull some of my "otherwise decent but stained" bronze age books out of the "freebies for forumites and big ebay purchasers" box.