• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joey Q gets it!

9 posts in this topic

Too bad the zombies don't get it:

Q: “The Fool”- Joe, a while back you stated that while Wolverine: Origins had poor reviews it was making good sales, which was a good indicator you were on the right track. Can you truly judge that a comic is good by how much it sells? Take into consideration that there are many comic readers out there who'll purchase issues, even though they know they're bad, simply to complete their collection, not to mention those who'll buy an issue just to see what the big reveal is (who is Ronin? who is Ultimate Cable? etc) and then are disappointed.

JQ: Hey, The Fool, first let me say this, poor reviews? Is this a global thing, like everyone reviewed the book badly, because I have a large list of people who really love it and are buying it in truckloads. I cannot run my business by reviews, if I did would most have to cancel half our line of comics [laughs]

Now, while I’m sure there are some completionists out there who will buy every issue, I don’t think that number is enough to keep a book afloat at significant numbers. It certainly doesn’t make up 50,000 readers of a book that’s selling 100,000 copies. The bottom line is that this is a business and you the costumer vote with your dollars or your feet; it’s a message that comes through loud and clear. When a title isn’t working, it doesn’t matter if it’s a top character, the sales do drop, it’s very visible to us. And to be honest, I could make a statement that is just as accurate but diametrically the polar opposite of what you just said. For every person that buys a comic even when they don’t like it because they “collect” it, there are just as many (and I’ll bet even more) people who will complain about a company, project, comic, story, artist, column, etc., while actually loving everything about it behind closed doors.

Come on, don’t tell me every single person here doesn’t know someone just like that.

He has basically said, many times over, that he doesn't care if people like it. As long as we buy it, he'll do it.

He did get one thing right, our dollars do dictate what he does. It may be time to reconsider what I'm buying. For someone to think that is one thing. To publically disown his customers, stupid & disrespectful.

Pat

I've gotten out of Origins myself. I stopped with issue 10...guess i'll have to find another title to start off with, any suggestions from upcoming new series?

OMEGA FLIGHT MINI SERIES