• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those PGX Guys Have Really Tightened Their Grading...

110 posts in this topic

I found PGX to be very tough on my books but there are clients that seem to have a knack

for obtaining high grades. Ebayer dhooker manages to get the coveted grades. Six 9.8s,

six 9.9s and one 10.0 out of twenty-four current auctions.

dhooker auctions

Check out this beauty.

shz1a.jpg

I think that Dennis submits most of his books to PGX via culls so he only gets books back that meet his grade. I was in his shop several months ago when he was preparing a 9.9 cull for PGX.

I believe that was the same way that Collosus Comics came up with all the CGC 10.0 Spider-Man 1s a couple years back. I'm told that they sent in over 1000 books with a 9.9 cull and got back 26 that made the 10.0 grade as well as a bunch of 9.9s.

I found PGX to be very tough on my books but there are clients that seem to have a knack

for obtaining high grades. Ebayer dhooker manages to get the coveted grades. Six 9.8s,

six 9.9s and one 10.0 out of twenty-four current auctions.

dhooker auctions

Check out this beauty.

shz1a.jpg

I think that Dennis submits most of his books to PGX via culls so he only gets books back that meet his grade. I was in his shop several months ago when he was preparing a 9.9 cull for PGX.

I believe that was the same way that Collosus Comics came up with all the CGC 10.0 Spider-Man 1s a couple years back. I'm told that they sent in over 1000 books with a 9.9 cull and got back 26 that made the 10.0 grade as well as a bunch of 9.9s.

Except that book looks trimmed.

Except that book looks trimmed.

How can you tell? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

You have to wonder about the top edge. The top part of the logo is missing. The print could be off centered, but the way it sets in the holder, the top left side is lower than the top right.

Even if you can detect trimming in a scan, you have to be able to see the whole book. Without a scan that shows the bottom of that Shazam (and preferably a scan of the back as well), I wouldn't think of calling it trimmed... unless it belonged to october devil.gif

You have to wonder about the top edge. The top part of the logo is missing. The print could be off centered, but the way it sets in the holder, the top left side is lower than the top right.

Compared to many of the 20 cent DCs I've seen that one is almost High QP! Seriously.

What do I think? I think that outside the window of grades from 9.0 to 9.6, PGX is useless. Of course, I thought that a long time before this thread ever got started.

What do I think? I think that outside the window of grades from 9.0 to 9.6, PGX is useless. Of course, I thought that a long time before this thread ever got started.

well, duh.