• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do in San Francisco?

45 posts in this topic

I will be in San Francisco for two days next week (work related). I will have about four or five hours to kill on Tuesday afternoon before my flight home.

Any suggestions on what to do?

I will be in San Francisco for two days next week (work related). I will have about four or five hours to kill on Tuesday afternoon before my flight home.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Well, I'm not from there. But I found the freaks there kind of entertaining.

Yea, yea you can do all the toursity stuff Alcatraz, Golden gate, Fishermans Wharf etc...

But my wife and I thought that the bizarre people that try to panhandle from you are

lets say interesting...

For one thing don't be surprized if they try to put their hands on you.

I told one to back the "F" off after he tried to put his arm around us and he got the picture.

I had another one rap to us as we walked down the street...

Watch out for the homeless person lying on the sidewalk

I have seen one whip it out an take a whiz right in front of where I was getting ready to walk

while he was mostly pizzing on himself, and just laying in it.

There was another one that had a bat and was beating a mailbox for some odd reason

(with no cops around of course)

Oh yeah, never trust the cab driver either...

last time I was there there was a missing girl at the begining of the week

where her parents and friends were plastering lost signs all over the city.

Just to find that the cab driver murdered and raped her and burried her in the

new construction soil near the wharf. How they caught him was he was using her ATM card

and recognized him from the video footage.

Just a heads-up, since you have never been there. That place can be wild.

But, strangley enough, I would give anything to live there because it is so beautiful.

Oh yeah, if you like good seafood pasta go to Scomma's they have a boat restaurant

right in the wharf that I thought was good for the money.

wink.gif

Watch out for the homeless person lying on the sidewalk

Oh yeah, never trust the cab driver either...

One homeless guy and one cab driver... I thought San Francisco was supposed to be a big city? stooges.gif

But for Borock's post . . . all very amusing grin.gif

Amazing what outsiders think of our fair city . . . wink.gif

27_laughing.gif That's what I was thinking.

A few tips from a local:

1) Stay away from Fisherman's Wharf. That includes food and sightseeing. You probably don't have time for Alcatraz, which is the only thing in Fisherman's Wharf (the departure point for Alcatraz is there) that is worth doing. The food in Fisherman's Wharf is terrible and overpriced. Only tourists who don't know any better eat there.

2) If all you have is a few hours in an afternoon, the Cartoon Art Museum and the SF MOMA are your best bet. You might have time to do both of them justice in an afternoon, and they're near each other so getting from one to the other won't be tough. If you do this, you're not going to have much time to sightsee.

3) Taking the cablecar to Fisherman's Wharf is a fun ride, but once you get there, turn right back around and come back. Don't burn any time at the Wharf. The whole trip (there and back again, including standing in line) should take around an hour.

4) If you want to do some shopping, go to Union Square. It's within walking distance from SF MOMA.

If you have time for dinner, get an advance reservation for The Slanted Door.

City Lights Bookstore and cocktails in the neighborhood.

Dan

thumbsup2.gif Also not a bad idea, although drinking in the afternoon on a Tuesday is not for everyone. Not that I have any personal opposition to it. yay.gif