• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this book.

82 posts in this topic

Slightly rounded corners....

I'd say that if the interior is complete and what's left is not brittle, it could be a 1.0.

That's exactly what I was thinking. PR .5 is probably right, but 1.0 is a possibility if readability is completely preserved and the pages aren't brittle.

Well, I'm sorry....I was confused by the g/g+ grading of the book and needed to see if my grading standards were out of whack, that's all. I didn't realise that was bad form.

I know I may get attacked for this, but i personally don't think you did anything wrong. Its just hypocritical to think its ok to post scans and criticize random ebay sellers on their grading and not ok when its one of our own that gets called out.

What he did wrong was not go to Donut and try and work it out in private. That is the mistake.

The difference is, when we know its one of us, the correct route to go is through PM's first.

Yes I agree. This relates back to my sentiments on the 'forum ethics' discussion. If it is known he/she is a forum member, PM should always be the route to go first. confused-smiley-013.gif

The difference is, when we know its one of us, the correct route to go is through PM's first.

Yes I agree. This relates back to my sentiments on the 'forum ethics' discussion. If it is known he/she is a forum member, PM should always be the route to go first. confused-smiley-013.gif

In some ways I agree and in other ways I don't... at least Donut is in a position to present a 'defense' for the book... random eBay sellers just get raked over the coals without any real opportunity to respond; heck, most don't even know they're being raked! (And of course, 92.6% of those sellers who are raked deserve to be raked...but occasionally one is inaccurately damned to h#$ll in our zealousness.)

This discussion could have occurred far more amicably via PMs, no doubt about that....but it would be interesting to see a list of 'unwritten (okay, make that 'unspoken') rules' for these boards - and might save the occasional newb from jumping in the deep end without proper flotation gear...

the difference is that many of those ebay sellers present a small scan that, if you have bad vision, might not show the defects, and then call it NM

at least Donut presents a large scan and anyone can come to their own conclusion. I don't necessarily agree with his written grades all the time, but I've bought a number of books from him and they were always as presented and the defects were as described in the auction, I simply bid based on what I grade the book at, which is what anyone should do anyway.

I don't even bother trying to grade books like these anyway, I just call them low grade readers. If someone says that's a poor or a fair, they can come to their own conclusion. I think I avoid problems this way. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

and usually we're pointing out 2-3 point grade discrepencies, like when a VG is being described as a NM. This one, at fair/good, is only .5 - 1 off from the board consensus.

Actually,when I first saw it, before it was revised, it was given a grade of good/good+, that's a big difference. You know, the whole point of this thread has been well diverted from it's main point, which was to see if my eyes were decieving me about a badly misgraded book. I didn't mention names or paste in links. Everybody always complains about ebay grading, I just pointed out on example, the fact that it was a forum member seems to have caused the wagons to circle. Perhaps I was naive in thinking that by not mentioning names people would use it as an exercise in grading, a dying art I fear.

Actually,when I first saw it, before it was revised, it was given a grade of good/good+, that's a big difference. You know, the whole point of this thread has been well diverted from it's main point, which was to see if my eyes were decieving me about a badly misgraded book. I didn't mention names or paste in links. Everybody always complains about ebay grading, I just pointed out on example, the fact that it was a forum member seems to have caused the wagons to circle. Perhaps I was naive in thinking that by not mentioning names people would use it as an exercise in grading, a dying art I fear.

The terms and language you are using are very harsh. "Badly misgraded book" and other such things show that you feel ripped off by Donut. Now, I've had some dealings with Donut, all good, and I was very pleased. However like the other forum member mentioned he did include Hi Res scans of the book, so you could see for yourself what it was.

And there is a difference between Ebay sellers and the people on the boards. I mentioned a kind of "good ol' boy" system. However I think you're mistaken, we are more like a community, helping each other and having fun with the hobby. So a form of discretion and such would be great.

Anyways, you didn't buy the book, so who cares!!! We've all looked at thousands of books that were overgraded or something like that...did we buy them...sometimes.....If we didn't did we remember them, probably not.

Perhaps I was naive in thinking that by not mentioning names people would use it as an exercise in grading, a dying art I fear.

In which case, why not simply post it in the forum entirely dedicated to this 'dying art'?

Wouldn't have made quite the same splash, would it? confused-smiley-013.gif

And, based on your original post, I downgraded the book when I gave it a second and third look. I have no problem with you questioning the grade, and, in fact, agreed with you when I downgraded it to the Fair/Good grade, which I believe the book deserves. A simple PM would have sufficed.

If you believe it would remain solely an exercise in grading, you are sadly and sorely mistaken.

The terms and language you are using are very harsh. "Badly misgraded book" and other such things show that you feel ripped off by Donut. Now, I've had some dealings with Donut, all good, and I was very pleased. However like the other forum member mentioned he did include Hi Res scans of the book, so you could see for yourself what it was.

And there is a difference between Ebay sellers and the people on the boards. I mentioned a kind of "good ol' boy" system. However I think you're mistaken, we are more like a community, helping each other and having fun with the hobby. So a form of discretion and such would be great.

Anyways, you didn't buy the book, so who cares!!! We've all looked at thousands of books that were overgraded or something like that...did we buy them...sometimes.....If we didn't did we remember them, probably not.

Excellent post, Chi Bamm thumbsup2.gif

And, based on your original post, I downgraded the book when I gave it a second and third look. I have no problem with you questioning the grade, and, in fact, agreed with you when I downgraded it to the Fair/Good grade, which I believe the book deserves. A simple PM would have sufficed.

If you believe it would remain solely an exercise in grading, you are sadly and sorely mistaken.

Maybe mistaken, but not sadly or sorely. Anyway, I'm glad I could be of service.

You know, the whole point of this thread has been well diverted from it's main point, which was to see if my eyes were decieving me about a badly misgraded book.

I'm calling bu77sh1t here. I counter that the point of this thread was to initiate a lynching of a well respected board member.

I didn't mention names or paste in links.

How very thoughtful of you.

yeahok.gif

Everybody always complains about ebay grading, I just pointed out on example, the fact that it was a forum member seems to have caused the wagons to circle.

And again, you were looking for a reaction just like that so don't feign surprise when that's the reaction you get.

Perhaps I was naive in thinking that by not mentioning names people would use it as an exercise in grading, a dying art I fear.

As has been stated several times (and not responded to by you), if that's really what you were looking for then why not post this in the appropriate forum? That's a rhetorical question, we all know the answer.

The only thing that your little horse and pony show has accomplished is to get your name added to a long list of twits no one in their right mind will deal with.