• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Philadelphia Dinner (yes it's early, but read why I'm posting)

77 posts in this topic

All:

Yes, it's super early, Wizard World Philadelphia isn't until June 15-17th. This year's dinner will almost assuredly make a return to Maggiano's. In addition, we are planning a very, very special theme for this year's dinner. It's all about pedigrees. Al Stoltz had this idea, and asked me to try and see if I could help put it together.

I've been in conversations with Steve Borock to enlist his aid in putting this incredibly unique event together. This will be an opportunity for us to get together, hear about some war stories, unique collections, history about how they were acquired etc. It's a celebration of some of the most unique aspects of the hobby and a chance to meet with some of the dealers/collectors who helped draw out some major pieces of comic book history. Steve has been invaluable in his assistance.

We have basically secured the following people:

Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver (Lost Valley)

Bob Storms and Vinny Zurzolo (Oaklands)

Doug Schmell (all the Peds he bought including Pac coasts)

George Mihalik (Curators)

Mark Haspel (maybe)

Stephen Ritter (maybe, but likely)

West Stephan (maybe)

James Payette (Con appearance for this guy, very likely to appear on the Allentowns -- HUGE! He never comes anywhere but the local boston show -)

Jerry Weist (working on it)

Chuck Rozanski (it's not complete without Chuck, the godfather of all peds, trying).

Geppi (long shot, but Steve may work on it, and will try contacting Tom Gordon on this)

Behcera Malouf (working on it Bostons)

Robert Roter (maybe -- that'd be awesome to have him)

Robert Rogovin

Dave Anderson (working on it -- a maybe)

John Snyder

Dan Greenhalgh (have to work on this)

Tom Brulato (working on it)

Phil Weiss (working on it)

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Here's the rub: I believe the private room can only accomodate 60 or so people. So if you know you're coming, reserve your spot now, because it may get tight as we get closer to the time. You don't have to pay or anything like that just yet, but money will be due in order to guarantee a spot. You can reserve one now, and if funds aren't paid by the due date, we will open it up to others.

This is going to be one of the best forum dinners yet, and I think it will be a fantastic and fun experience!

Dave,

We're pretty close to securing him definitely, and yes, we'd to have you as well... think it's great that Jim Payette is seriously considering attending... just adds so much to the mix for all his knowledge and sense of history.

you know steve wyatt and don rosa would be rockin I am not sure if they would be available.

How about lon allen becuase heritage just sold most the D collection and he worked alot on that.

Both are very good suggestions, thanks!

Tough call- Wizard World and Heroes Con going the same time...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

This is a problem. frown.gif

Chuck WILL NOT attend Philly if Heroes is on the same day Christo_pull_hair.gif He does not like the fact that WW is having a show on the same weekend as he always supports Heroes. He also said he does better buying at Heroes.........

So, from a business and personal stand point, he is out, but would have loved to come. He actually asked if we would do it in SD instead.........

Tough call- Wizard World and Heroes Con going the same time...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

Chuck WILL NOT attend Philly if Heroes is on the same day Christo_pull_hair.gif He does not like the fact that WW is having a show on the same weekend as he always supports Heroes. He also said he does better buying at Heroes.........

So, from a business and personal stand point, he is out, but would have loved to come. He actually asked if we would do it in SD instead.........

This should actually be an ongoing panel in San Diego... I.E. new pedigrees located in the past year, etc.

(If it hasn't before... I haven't gotten the opportunity to actually go to many panels in the last few years, but we're going as tourists this year. (And as aunts/uncles instead of exhibitors.) thumbsup2.gif )

yay.gifChris

Other than geographic proximity and Brian's organization, I can't think of a reason for this to be held in Philly (that's not necessarily a bad thing). Almost every forum member that attended griped endlessy about this show last year, if memory serves. And many of the dealers complained, as well.

On the other hand, everyone I know who went to Heroes had a blast and came away with some fine, fine books. Personally, I'm not sure I'm attending either this year because I feel my kids are entitled to spend Father's Day with their dad, but if this dinner were in Charlotte, I'd be going in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know how creators are lining up given this conflict?

yay.gifChris

Brian and Steve,

Leave this in Philly. Chuck is not supporting Heroes. I like Shelton too but Chuck is helping himself. Period. He likes Heroes because it's easier to pull his act on the less experienced sellers south of the Mason-Dixon line as opposed to the veteran dealers in Philly. Doesn't San Diego get enough of the comic world's attention to their little con every year? Do they need this too so Chuck can pontificate some more? Do we need to hear him go on about the Mile High collection ad nauseum? Again? confused-smiley-013.gif

A Jim Payette appearance is almost as rare as a bigfoot sighting. He doesn't leave the remote reaches of New Hampshire very often. Don't let Chuck blow the opportunity for everyone who would like to attend this event in Philly.

yay.gifChris

Other than geographic proximity and Brian's organization, I can't think of a reason for this to be held in Philly (that's not necessarily a bad thing). Almost every forum member that attended griped endlessy about this show last year, if memory serves. And many of the dealers complained, as well.

The only difference between Wizard World Philly 2005 and 2006 is that the bootleg video and weapons dealers were almost non-existent. Their customers were not going to spend much on comic books vintage or otherwise. There were less attendees in 06 but there were less dealers which should balance out to a fair degree. My sales have been steady the last four years in Philly but I don't sit on inventory because Overstreet tells me that prices go up every year or the comics are at least worth cover price. 27_laughing.gif

yay.gifChris

On the other hand, everyone I know who went to Heroes had a blast and came away with some fine, fine books. Personally, I'm not sure I'm attending either this year because I feel my kids are entitled to spend Father's Day with their dad, but if this dinner were in Charlotte, I'd be going in a heartbeat.

Does anyone know how creators are lining up given this conflict?

Ill set up for you in Charlotte flowerred.gif

Arex