• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you choose...Help!?

19 posts in this topic

If you had the opportunity of picking up a couple of very nice, high grade (say in the 9.2 range) pre-1965 "raw" Marvels, like FF#25, #26 or #28, fresh from an original owner collection, or buying a couple of CGC 6.5 - 7.0 Timelys, Sub-Mariner or Cap, which would you choose? I'm really struggling here because I love all those books, but just can't afford them all. Maybe if I took out a loan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Opinions and advice is welcome.

If you had the opportunity of picking up a couple of very nice, high grade (say in the 9.2 range) pre-1965 "raw" Marvels, like FF#25, #26 or #28, fresh from an original owner collection, or buying a couple of CGC 6.5 - 7.0 Timelys, Sub-Mariner or Cap, which would you choose? I'm really struggling here because I love all those books, but just can't afford them all. Maybe if I took out a loan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Interesting question, as you specify raw for SA and CGC'd for Timely.

1) What issue range are you looking at on the Cap or Subbie?

2) If you went for the Timely would you break them out of the slab? Or would you have the SA slabbed?

3) Is this for adding to your collection or as an "investment"?

4) Could you get one SA and one Timely?

5) Which books interest you the most?

Good question, but PM me with the details if you pass on the Timely's!! Sheldon's collection?

2) If you went for the Timely would you break them out of the slab? Or would you have the SA slabbed?

1. Cap in the thirties, and actually a Marvel Mystery featuring a great Subby cover.

2. Not sure. I have a few Timelys already, and not of them are slabbed. I kind of like them that way.

3. My collection for now, but one day I'll be selling.*

4. Yes. But it would be a tough decision.

5. I really love those early FF's, and these are very pretty copies, but it's tough to beat a Schomburg cover.

* I took my Timelys to a show last week to show someone and ran into a dealer with some absolutely beautiful "raw" ASM. I'm talking 9.0+ copies of #6 and a stunning copy of #14 (don't you agree, Sal?) and the dealer told me that there's not much he would trade the Spideys for, but he would trade for Timelys. He wanted them very badly and I wanted the Spideys very badly, but just couldn't give up my books, even for Spidey.

It really comes down to which books you would be happiest to have in your collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would go for the Timely's

pm on the way though.

Arex

Get the FF 25!!!!

It's rare in HG.

Only 2 9.4s and 1 9.6 before the last update.

If you get a 9.4 you got a gem. thumbsup2.gif

1. Cap in the thirties, and actually a Marvel Mystery featuring a great Subby cover.

2. Not sure. I have a few Timelys already, and not of them are slabbed. I kind of like them that way.

3. My collection for now, but one day I'll be selling.*

4. Yes. But it would be a tough decision.

5. I really love those early FF's, and these are very pretty copies, but it's tough to beat a Schomburg cover.

* I took my Timelys to a show last week to show someone and ran into a dealer with some absolutely beautiful "raw" ASM. I'm talking 9.0+ copies of #6 and a stunning copy of #14 (don't you agree, Sal?) and the dealer told me that there's not much he would trade the Spideys for, but he would trade for Timelys. He wanted them very badly and I wanted the Spideys very badly, but just couldn't give up my books, even for Spidey.

misread your statement, apologies.

i would need to see scans of the Marvels. they would have to be better than those ASMs, which were nice but not THAT nice

What would you be happier with?

If you don't have the money to buy it all now, which will be easier to obtain later on down the line?

Let's take the Spidey example. You can buy high grade Spideys whenever you want, so long as you are willing to pay the price, pretty much by making a few calls.

That's not true of many GA books -- some you can't find a copy of, and sometimes when you see a nice reasonably priced copy with high gloss and nice paper, yo have to grab it, and you may not be able to find one for a long time that is anywhere as nice. Silver age Marvels, even in high grade, are available for a price usually.