• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Bronze Western Thread

What is your favorite bronze age western title?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite bronze age western title?

97 posts in this topic

Nice picture frame Rawhide Kid George! thumbsup2.gif Beautiful CGC'd WW #20 Sterling! That # 20 is one of my grail books I am in search of. I live in Swansboro which is about 25 miles east of Camp Lejeune and Jacksonville and about 3 miles from Emerald Isle. Right on the water which is real nice come hurricane season! foreheadslap.gif Tonya and I love Charlotte and may relocate there in about 5 years when I retire from the Marines. Right now we are yearly tourists around HeroesCon time! thumbsup2.gif And now for the newest Weird Western to make it to the Dudeman's ranch........arrived today via the good folks at Pedigree (that should be worth some kind of discount!)

WeirdWestern25.jpg

One more down and a whole bunch to go! Good times!

yay.gifChris

Shocked by the grade but so purty to look at......

JonahHex5.jpg

Great link to a great site put out by a dedicated Jonah Hex fan-

Jonah Hex

Distressing news that the sales figures on JH aren't looking so good. IMHO Jonah Hex is the best new comic coming out every month and it really 893censored-thumb.gif me off it isn't selling. That being said, if you are Jonah Hex fan and aren't reading this book-please check it out! Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray craft their tales like authors of old who graced the pages of this character. No convoluted multi-universe cape wars going on-just good old fashioned western action! headbang.gif

JP1.jpg

Jonah Hex fan for life-

yay.gifChris

Carrying on with our favorite Western tales is one of my favorite Jonah Hex stories-

JH58.jpg

This tale stands out in that it has a happy ending, a rarity in Jonah's life! Michael Fleisher smoothly crafts a yarn about two souls Jonah comes across in his journey. The man Ben Jinks appears to be mentally challenged though built like an ox. His love is his dog, Blaze, who is described as old and half lame, yet loves Ben and performs tricks that help the two earn money. Jonah risks his neck to save the dog early on and I couldn't help but cheer! The story ends happily with Jonah splitting a $5000 reward with Ben and the three then enjoying a sizzling steak dinner. I loved this story for a bunch of reasons. It's not impossible to think a hardcase like Jonah wouldn't go out of his way to help an animal in danger. (Remember poor General and Ironjaws?) In 2003 during the push through Iraq, I was a USMC GySgt Military Policeman in charge of the armored security Humvees providing security for a supply convoy on the way to an area outside of An Najaf. At one isolated area we stopped, put out security, and took a "p*i*s*s" break. My vehicle had a mounted .50 and was about 200 feet ahead of the convoy. I noticed we were atop of what appeared to be a concrete bunker/single plane hangar. Hussein had them everywhere to hide his air assets. I moved slowly down the enbankment with my shotgun at the ready and my Sgt, Sgt Ohle covering my rear. I heard a skittering that had the hairs on my neck standing up and I signaled the Sgt that I heard something. We had been taking POW's all day as well as sporadic rifle fire, so I had no clue what lay in wait. I crept around the concrete wall and there is a "Benji" dog wagging his tail and looking at me. He quickly rolled onto his back showing me his belly and I felt like 893censored-thumb.gif for having my shotgun pointing at him. The dog looked healthy but I didn't want to touch him because a lot of the dogs were carrying stuff and there were a lot of dead Iraqi's around. I reached into my buttpack and cut open a beans MRE packet and layed it on the ground. The dog sniffed it and walked away! Mmmmm delicious! The dog sat and looked at me while I climbed back to my vehicle. We drove on and I shifted my thoughts to the mission. I recently read this JH story and the memory came flooding back to me. I still see that happy dog wagging his tail, and it makes me hope that dog had a happy ending to its story too. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

893whatthe.gif My apologies all for throwing my modern pics of Jonah Hex on the Bronze age thread! I was listening to Metallica's version of Ennio Morricone's classic " The Ecstacy of Gold" and was all fired up! confused-smiley-013.gif I guess I will have to start an Infinite Modern Western Thread ........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. Anyhow's back on the thread-this beauty rode up to the ranch today and I am very happy to have it!

ASW11.jpg

This classic is Jonah's 2nd appearance and Tony Dezuniga's pencils and smooth lines are beginning to form into the highly detailed pencil work to come. You can't help but feel bad for Jonah at the end of this story (but I feel worse for the poor ring salesman!). Good times pardners!

char092.gifChris

Looks like this thread may be dying on the vine-ugh! confused-smiley-013.gif Well here's my part in trying to keep it alive! Two new Cabelleros to pony up to the Dudeman's ranch courtesy of some great E-Bay sellers!

WeirdWestern12.jpg

WeirdWestern34.jpg

Good times!

char092.gifChris