• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about UK customs

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently asked a US ebayer if he would post to the UK and he said he couldnt due to postal regulations banning this to the UK. He quoted Prohibitions (130) which included a lot of things you would expect but then also has

"Horror comics and matrices."

I have never heard of this before has anyone else come accross it?

what was the item you were wanting posting ?

a publication would have to be declared as 'obscene' by the obscene publications act to prevent it being imported into the UK, which narrows it down to very little actually blocked

Certainly some of the lord horror/savoy books published in the 80s ran in legislative problems, but I doubt most being published in america at the moment, and certainly no 'classic' items would have a problem.

write fantasy comic book on the customs form

I recently shipped off my TOS 39 to a UK buyer and as the package went into the back of the post office I realized, "oh my goodness, those old Suspenses always have a back-up story, what if it's a "horror comic or matrice"???

Prohibitions for Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Any postal item containing enclosures addressed to different persons at different addresses.

Arms and parts of arms, except as noted under Observation #5 below.

Articles, goods infringing British trademarks or copyright laws.

Cards decorated with mica or ground glass or similar materials unless they are placed in envelopes.

Citizens Band Radios, walkie-talkies, microbugs, and radio microphones that are capable of transmitting on any frequency between 26.1 and 29.7 megacycles per second and 88 to 108 Mhz per second.

Goods made in foreign prisons, except those imported for a non-commercial purpose or of a kind not manufactured in the UK.

Horror comics and matrices.

Obscene articles, prints, paintings, cards, films, videotapes, etc.

Perishable infectious biological substances.

Seal skins except those from an accepted source.

Switchblade knives.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/prohibitions/Great_Britain_and_Northern_Ireland.htm

Hi all,

I recently asked a US ebayer if he would post to the UK and he said he couldnt due to postal regulations banning this to the UK. He quoted Prohibitions (130) which included a lot of things you would expect but then also has

"Horror comics and matrices."

I have never heard of this before has anyone else come accross it?

Ancient customs bye-law. Bearing in mind what is allowed on new comic racks these days along with the relaxing of British obscenity laws under Blair's administration, it's a case of the seller being over-cautious, although it's understandable that he wouldn't know.

The exact same scenario happened to me a few weeks ago after I won an ebay auction for a couple of Atlas pre-code books (the seller quoted that "horror comics and matrices" line). In the end I asked the seller to send them to a friend in the U.S. You may have to take that option.