• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNOWFALLOUT

28 posts in this topic

Alright, call me an instigator, but this one is too interesting not to mention.

James Jean has posted his 1001 Nights of Snowfall cover on the 'Bay with a $6K opening bid. Within the first day it's up to $8.2K and it seems that bitter warfare is ahead.

So, any guesses on the final tally? I guess JJ is getting into that rare territory that such artists as Alex Ross and Jim Lee inhabit. (only with significant pieces though) There's an Amano Sandman piece that sold up around 25K IIRC, as well as the aforementioned artists whose covers regularly fetch in that 20K range. Those are the maxes I'm aware of for modern comic art.

Guess it depends if there are two bidders willing to bid "whatever it takes." If that happens, someone's looking at a big 'Bay invoice.

Behold

One of the interesting things to me is that the market is setting those prices.

While the price tag on the pieces James puts up for sale on process recess has increased, it is on Ebay that prices have really skyrocketed (starting with the Fables 50 cover?), and he has really just adjusted his pricing in response.

This stands in contrast to the Ross, Sienkiewicz (and even Lee, for some stuff) art being priced by the artist or his rep in the stratosphere, with a secondary resale market that just can't bear those prices.

I agree with Jon on this one - $10k would be a good deal. I suspect it will finish well above that mark.

My question is... how long can that last? The more artwork that is out there, the more his prices will get flattened. Why pay 12K for a fresh piece on the market when someone else is willing to sell you one almost as nice for 5K?

I'm not familiar with the market for JJ's work, though images like this just might turn me into a collector. 893whatthe.gif

I just checked out his ProcessRecess site...how much did the cover to Fables TPB 8 ("Wolves") go for? It's listed in the for sale section as being sold; it's also painted and the same size, so I would think that would be an interesting comp to look at.

Where does "1001 Nights of Snowfall" rank as an example of JJ's painted Fables covers? Poor, average, good, one of the best? How many of his covers are pencilled vs. painted? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gene

My question is... how long can that last? The more artwork that is out there, the more his prices will get flattened. Why pay 12K for a fresh piece on the market when someone else is willing to sell you one almost as nice for 5K?

I don't know where you're getting that from. I know of no double-size painted covers selling for $5K, let alone one as nice as this one (or even almost as nice). There's a reason it's going to fetch five figures...not because it's "fresh", but because it's something truly special.

I just checked out his ProcessRecess site...how much did the cover to Fables TPB 8 ("Wolves") go for? It's listed in the for sale section as being sold; it's also painted and the same size, so I would think that would be an interesting comp to look at.

I had the same thought. The TPB #8 cover is right up there as one of JJ's best. The deal, though, was private...unless Court wants us to let us know.

I suspect that when this current auction is over, the #8 cover will look like a veritable bargain.

Where does "1001 Nights of Snowfall" rank as an example of JJ's painted Fables covers? Poor, average, good, one of the best? How many of his covers are pencilled vs. painted? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gene

Personally, I like JJ's painted covers the best. Then would come his linework covers. Lastly, his pencil covers. I have a pencil cover, and I'm damn happy to have it!

The SNOWFALL cover is, to me, his best painted cover, making it the creme de la creme. I like the TPB #8 cover a lot as well, but SNOWFALL edges it slightly for me. It's a real home run.

I'm not even a FABLES fan, but I've become a big fan of Jean. I hope he keeps doing comics work.

I don't know where you're getting that from. I know of no double-size painted covers selling for $5K, let alone one as nice as this one (or even almost as nice). There's a reason it's going to fetch five figures...not because it's "fresh", but because it's something truly special.

I'm being hypothetical. I'm claiming that once more of these are on the market, the furor will die down.

I'm being hypothetical. I'm claiming that once more of these are on the market, the furor will die down.

That's always possible, but I think the likelihood of painted double-covers of similar quality hitting the market at the same time is low. But, hey, if you see one for $5K, let me know!

I too wonder when the bubble will burst, at least for mid and low grade examples. As you say, probably when there are more examples out there to satisfy the demand (which may be growing in its own right, as he continues to become the next "it" artist) As with all art types, the cream of the crop will remain desirable of course. I think, in this case, the cream of the crop seems to be extremely volatile, but only in the upwards direction! (at least for now -- channeling KK)

But to Gene's question, this is really one of his best painted examples. As has been noted, Wolves is very close, and may even be better, though this is a bit more prestigious. I seems lately he's been making a serious effort on the physical art of his "large art" TPB's. The individual covers can go either way -- there are plenty that are pencil covers fleshed out digitally.

All the covers can be seen:

here

...if some enterprising individual wanted to figure out the ratio of painted/pencilled.

I may honestly pop popcorn to watch this one end. devil.gifpopcorn.gifdevil.gif

Very true Joe...comparing the price of this against multiples of the other recent sales it should go higher....$8888 with an hour to go.....

Fascinated by this one as the herd of typical bidders thins out at the higher prices.....and it's not a trade deal here.

popcorn.gif