• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Scans...

31 posts in this topic

I don't believe that grading a raw scan is any indication of an accurate grade. You're better off taking it to your LCS or a show in your area. You don't want it handled several times, so ask around before you start letting everyone touch it (regardless if you have it in a mylar & boarded). It seems most LCS have an onsite grader.

Ummm, no one's saying this area is the "end all/be all" for grading. But it's an excellent source for feedback and picking up on what to look for and at.

As for local LCS, I don't know if I'd always trust those. And most do not have any "grader" I would say is any better than many here.

I don't believe that grading a raw scan is any indication of an accurate grade. You're better off taking it to your LCS or a show in your area. You don't want it handled several times, so ask around before you start letting everyone touch it (regardless if you have it in a mylar & boarded). It seems most LCS have an onsite grader.

I disagree. Go to a LCS or show only if you know a reputable dealer who's willing to grade your comic, but those are few and far between, IMO. I'd trust a grade on here in this forum before trusting most dealers. You just have to recognize that it is not perfect, however, it is far more likely to be close to actual grade than not.

I disagree. Go to a LCS or show only if you know a reputable dealer who's willing to grade your comic, but those are few and far between, IMO. I'd trust a grade on here in this forum before trusting most dealers. You just have to recognize that it is not perfect, however, it is far more likely to be close to actual grade than not.

Yeah, you're right.. it's tough to find an honest dealer or anyone, maybe this is why we have CGC and fewer comic collectors.

My dealer thinks every book that isn't missing pieces is a 9.2

Ditto

Same here. One of my LCS dealers got some nice looking JIM's, and

put them in those pocket comic holders where people would most

likely bend them to get them out to take a look. Arrgh!

shows how much he cares about grading.

Yeah, you're right.. it's tough to find an honest dealer or anyone, maybe this is why we have CGC and fewer comic collectors.

Of course it's funny you should say that...how've your sales in the Marketplace been lately? smirk.gif

ladies and gentlemen, i give you; irony.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

likely unintended, but still instructive. Alanis Morrisette would be proud

Why don't you respond to the marketplace threads? makepoint.gif

Yep, tough to find an honest dealer indeed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't believe that grading a raw scan is any indication of an accurate grade.

Yeah, you're right. Not reliable way at all to grade comics. jerkit.gif

About as reliable as someone who puts books up for sale and then reneges on the sale. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems the originator of this Thread has some "history"?

Yep, he posted some books for sale in the marketplace, and then didn't honor the prices he had listed. When someone posted the "I'll Take It!" he simply said he couldn't possibly sell them at that price...

Here's a link that explains what is going on:

Linky

Seems the originator of this Thread has some "history"?

Yep, he posted some books for sale in the marketplace, and then didn't honor the prices he had listed. When someone posted the "I'll Take It!" he simply said he couldn't possibly sell them at that price...

Here's a link that explains what is going on:

Linky

That Sucks. Bringing this thread back on topic, I have to say I find scans a useful aid when grading my own books; supersized images often help me identify problems I wouldn’t ordinarily see.