• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning Bidder Is From Country I Don't Ship To

94 posts in this topic

I don't understand what is so difficult. 95% of my stuff goes to the US (I'm in Canada) and the procedure is almost 100% identical except that i need to write down what is inside. It's not like we're in a Communist state where you might end up in jail or castrated for shipping it to me...and I always get a kick out of US sellers who complain about Canada Post when a package arrives daily! How is anyone to know what side of the boarder the box or envelope gets damaged in? A package must hgo through dozens of hands! Seriously guys, you guys are the football nuts..for all I know the entire PO team was punting my JIM #84 8.0 in theback parking lot... 27_laughing.gif We play hockey up here and boxes don't work well on ice. grin.gif

Seriously, i do a slight offense at a seller not shipping out of country. crazy.gif

I had a comic for auction on ebay. I only ship to the US. Nothing against other countries it's just easier for me. It states it in the auction that I ship to the US only. Anyway, I guy from Canada won it. I can't cancel the bid becuase he made it before the auction ended and won. I emailed ebay to get him removed as the winner and I'll give a second chance to the next highest bidder. Was wondering if any sellars on here went through that process and how much of a pain is it (it seems it's already starting that way). And/or if there are any additional steps I should take. I haven't contacted the winner yet because I'm wiating for a reply from ebay (it's already been 24 hours) confused.gifThanks!

If it's a couple a raw cheaper books they have free Global Priority envelopes that fit a small number of comics perfectly. However more expensive slabbed comics can be a pain to ship outside the USA because you have to hunt down a large, sturdy box, which will cost an extra $2 - $3. Then they will probably complain about the high shipping rates. I know many folks here are from overseas but it can be a royal pain to ship to some unknown eBay buyer from overseas when Paypal won't offer seller protection.

893blahblah.gif

I had a comic for auction on ebay. I only ship to the US. Nothing against other countries it's just easier for me. It states it in the auction that I ship to the US only. Anyway, I guy from Canada won it. I can't cancel the bid becuase he made it before the auction ended and won. I emailed ebay to get him removed as the winner and I'll give a second chance to the next highest bidder. Was wondering if any sellars on here went through that process and how much of a pain is it (it seems it's already starting that way). And/or if there are any additional steps I should take. I haven't contacted the winner yet because I'm wiating for a reply from ebay (it's already been 24 hours) confused.gifThanks!

If it's a couple a raw cheaper books they have free Global Priority envelopes that fit a small number of comics perfectly. However more expensive slabbed comics can be a pain to ship outside the USA because you have to hunt down a large, sturdy box, which will cost an extra $2 - $3. Then they will probably complain about the high shipping rates. I know many folks here are from overseas but it can be a royal pain to ship to some unknown eBay buyer from overseas when Paypal won't offer seller protection.

893blahblah.gif

I think it's safe to assume that most out of country buyers expect to pay more. And it all comes down to your ebay listing. If you tell them they must pay what actual shipping costs are, and you charge them actual shipping costs then there is no problem. This will eliminate 98% of the problems. The other 2% are wack jobs and can reside anywhere. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't understand what is so difficult. 95% of my stuff goes to the US (I'm in Canada) and the procedure is almost 100% identical except that i need to write down what is inside. It's not like we're in a Communist state where you might end up in jail or castrated for shipping it to me...and I always get a kick out of US sellers who complain about Canada Post when a package arrives daily! How is anyone to know what side of the boarder the box or envelope gets damaged in? A package must hgo through dozens of hands! Seriously guys, you guys are the football nuts..for all I know the entire PO team was punting my JIM #84 8.0 in theback parking lot... 27_laughing.gif We play hockey up here and boxes don't work well on ice. grin.gif

Seriously, i do a slight offense at a seller not shipping out of country. crazy.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

there are so many people from canada on these boards. which i'm sure you've all shipped to/received from. rather than telling him how to block canadians, why dont you tell him that its no big deal to ship to canada.

I agree that's it's no big deal to ship to Canada. Done it many, many times. All without a hitch.

Not sure what the problem is. confused.gif

Nothing against Canadians...it's the hassel of the U.S. Post Office. Even if you do everything online, print out the postage and customs forms, you still have to take it all to the Post Office to be approved/stamped by a postal employee. Which means standing in line about an hour on average, maybe more.

Your post office sucks. I go straight to the window when I ship. I just shipped a comic to Australia and it was no problem.

Just mail it to Canada! You didn't set up your preferences correctly, so don't screw over the high bidder.

I started out that way and now I find I ship more books out of the country then I sell local. If it is under 4 pounds (if its one book i would assume it is grin.gif) then all you have to do is fill out the little green customs form and bring it to the PO to pay. It's not a big deal and you will have more buyers bidding on your auctions.

Yep, I packed up the book for rob in a priority box too, waited in line, to be turned away. I told him just put tape over the priority symbols and ship, and the guy told me it can't be a "US" only box, period. Looking for a box to ship the book in now. :\

I started out that way and now I find I ship more books out of the country then I sell local. If it is under 4 pounds (if its one book i would assume it is grin.gif) then all you have to do is fill out the little green customs form and bring it to the PO to pay. It's not a big deal and you will have more buyers bidding on your auctions.

maybe I'll turn over a new leaf, if I start selling more...

I sell just about everything except comics

Stuff I find on discount or at a yard sale mostly.

I just had a real bad deal pop up where I received my first and only negative.

A lady from England bought several of items from me and was looking for

a deep discount on shipping. I had it stated in my auctions that I don't ship

out of the country. But I made an exception for her. I got the total and she wasn't pleased

even after I had all boxed up and mailed she refused to pay and neg'ed me in the process.

Eventually she was a scammer because no more than a few months passed

and she was banned from eBay. This was my first transcation with anyone out

of the country. Maybe I could put a few items out there without shipping restrictions and test

the waters.

I did have a nice book delivered from Flaming Telepath (Europe)

that was a real hard find.

maybe I'll turn over a new leaf...

smirk.gif

maybe I'll turn over a new leaf, if I start selling more...

I sell just about everything except comics

Stuff I find on discount or at a yard sale mostly.

I just had a real bad deal pop up where I received my first and only negative.

A lady from England bought several of items from me and was looking for

a deep discount on shipping. I had it stated in my auctions that I don't ship

out of the country. But I made an exception for her. I got the total and she wasn't pleased

even after I had all boxed up and mailed she refused to pay and neg'ed me in the process.

Eventually she was a scammer because no more than a few months passed

and she was banned from eBay. This was my first transcation with anyone out

of the country. Maybe I could put a few items out there without shipping restrictions and test

the waters.

I did have a nice book delivered from Flaming Telepath (Europe)

that was a real hard find.

maybe I'll turn over a new leaf...

smirk.gif

I've had similar problems as well. In addition to the Spain incident I mentioned before, I had another problem with a seller from England. I kept e-mailing and asking how to pay for the item (she did not accept Paypal), but heard no response. A few weeks later, she filed a complaint against me for not paying. I then sent her another letter with all my previous attachements, and she finally replied stating that her e-mail server was down. She also stated that she only accepts cash. Being the naive person I was at the time, I actually sent her $340 cash. Luckily the money arrived safely, and she sent me the book. However, the stress involved with the process was not worth it.

That being said, I have sent several packages to Canada without a hitch. The reason why I only sell within the US is because the transaction is usually completed within a week (out of sight out of mind). I'll typically end my auctions on Sunday, send the book via priority mail on Monday, and have the customer leaves positive feedback by Thursday. With international shipping, I'm always crossing my fingers that someone will not e-mail me or file a complaint because their package hasn't arrived after a week or 2.

Another concern I have is with the global priority mail packages available at the post office. I agree that for a few raw books the priority envelope package works great for international customers, unfortunately, my CGC graded books don't fit inside the global priority box, so I have to use a different box instead. I've also had problems where a Canadian buyer would win a few of my auctions, so now I'm forced to use a larger box instead of the flat rate envelope. All these things are not the buyer's fault, but since I can only visit the post office once a week, the extra hassle can sometimes be an inconvenience.

I can't believe people are complaining about having to find another box...or making a trip to the post office. Are you guys serious? confused-smiley-013.gif

Come on were are America -

the home the free, the brave

and the downright lazy...

you know that!

makepoint.gif

That's me. acclaim.gif

A lot of people use Paypal to do their online shipping. I like using Paypal because I can package everything at home, drive to the post office and drop it in their maildrop and go. It's made shipping very convenient for me.

Unfortunately, if you're sending something international, you can't use Paypal to do the shipping. You have to actually go to the post office and stand in line. Now there are times when the wait is only a minute or two, but I've been to the post office where the line to reach a clerk is more than 20 minutes. I don't know how the post office in Canada works, but in the US, when there are 15 people waiting in line, there are usually 2 clerks working and 5 clerks just walking around doing nothing. It's beyond frustrating.

Add to that, the different forms you have to fill out, the extra charges to make sure you're going to receive delivery or signature confirmation so you don't get burned on a chargeback, there's just a lot more work when it comes to shipping international.

For me, the biggest fear of shipping overseas is the chargeback. Many international Paypal addresses are not confirmed for whatever reason. With shipping domestically, I have a reasonable faith in the delivery and signature confirmation of the USPS.