• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #38 - 1st Robin - thoughts?

81 posts in this topic

I know how in demand pre Robin tecs are, but really if you think about it, Tec#38 is a MAJOR key, whether you like him or not, it introduced the sidekick concept into comics. So I guess I am wondering, to everyone who values pre Robin tecs so much, Isn't #38 quite a worthwhile issue as well? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It also seems pretty common relative to the pre Batman Tecs, and was a prime candidate for restoration since it has always been considered a key. Its also a good stopping point for high end collectors who want Tec 27-38 and a starting point for folks who can never afford a 27.

In the realm of tyring to impress your rich uncle, it falls a little flat to brag about a 1st appearance of Robin.

I know how in demand pre Robin tecs are, but really if you think about it, Tec#38 is a MAJOR key, whether you like him or not, it introduced the sidekick concept into comics. So I guess I am wondering, to everyone who values pre Robin tecs so much, Isn't #38 quite a worthwhile issue as well? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can only speak for myself, and I am not interested in Tec 38, althought you are right, it is a key ( major key is debatable...not on the same shelf as Action 1, Tec 27, All American 16, Adventure 40, More Fun 52, etc etc ).

There is a "stigma" that keeps coming up that is associated with Robin, and when you combine that with the fact that book is always pricey and always available, it's a combo that is a big turn off for me. If I'm going to buy an expensive book that introduces a key character, I want the only factors involved to be grade and scarcity....the charcater can't trigger the response of "that's a nice looking book, but...." ( no pun intended ). Switching titles for a moment, Action 6 introduces Jimmy Olsen, and there is zero negative press / thoughts of unatural things when his name is mentioned. Robin on the other hand.........

I probably would buy a Tec 38 if I could get a great deal on a copy, but aside from that, I can think of many other places to park $5k - $55k+ without worrying about character popularity and "issues" that may affect demand.

Again this is just my personal view, and for those of you who own a Tec 38 thumbsup2.gif

I can only speak for myself, and I am not interested in Tec 38, althought you are right, it is a key ( major key is debatable...not on the same shelf as Action 1, Tec 27, All American 16, Adventure 40, More Fun 52, etc etc ).

There is a "stigma" that keeps coming up that is associated with Robin, and when you combine that with the fact that book is always pricey and always available, it's a combo that is a big turn off for me. If I'm going to buy an expensive book that introduces a key character, I want the only factors involved to be grade and scarcity....the charcater can't trigger the response of "that's a nice looking book, but...." ( no pun intended ). Switching titles for a moment, Action 6 introduces Jimmy Olsen, and there is zero negative press / thoughts of unatural things when his name is mentioned. Robin on the other hand.........

I probably would buy a Tec 38 if I could get a great deal on a copy, but aside from that, I can think of many other places to park $5k - $55k+ without worrying about character popularity and "issues" that may affect demand.

Again this is just my personal view, and for those of you who own a Tec 38 thumbsup2.gif

Not to mention the Pepto Pink cover. tongue.gif

I'm curious as to when the whole anti robin stuff began. I don't remeber it the first time I collected back in the 50's and 60's. I'm wondering if the tv series had anything to do with it.

Probably in the early 70s when Denny O'Neill reminded everyone that Bat-man was meant to be a mysterious avenger of the night who worked better alone, and the the comic reading public had become sophisticated enough to be all too aware of the homoerotic underpinnings of the Batman & Robin relationship.

Haters!

I believe for the detective series, the importance goes #27, #1, #38. Very MAJOR MAJOR key in the DC comic madness.

I agree. I think the anti-Robin thing is heavy on these boards but much less so with the general comic collecting public, and that 'Tec #38 will remain a critical DC key in perpetuity. Although books like More Fun #52 and Adventure #40 are much harder to find and therefore more respected amongst GA collectors, from a popular culture standpoint they're clearly less important.

You beat me to it Win. If there's anti-Robin sentiment, it probably comes from guys like us: the tiny subset of collectors that worship Tec 27-37, and the slightly larger subsets of collectors that like the Adams/BA books and/or some of the post-Dark-Knight projects (Year 1, Long Halloween etc) without Robin. Certainly must be a pretty recent thing.

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

thumbsup2.gif Right on.

As I become more seasoned in collecting, I see myself tending to want the earlier and scarcer GA books...The Tec 38 is a key book, but I don't see myself getting one...it's priced higher than Tec 29 and Tec 31, both of which I would rather own than a 38...Actually, I think I'd rather have two Tec 35's than one 38...I would definitely buy an Action 7 or Adventure 40 before the Tec 38...But, still, much love to Robin, as he is probably the best side kick after Bucky! laugh.gif

As I become more seasoned in collecting, I see myself tending to want the earlier and scarcer GA books...The Tec 38 is a key book, but I don't see myself getting one...it's priced higher than Tec 29 and Tec 31, both of which I would rather own than a 38...Actually, I think I'd rather have two Tec 35's than one 38...I would definitely buy an Action 7 or Adventure 40 before the Tec 38...But, still, much love to Robin, as he is probably the best side kick after Bucky! laugh.gif

I'm not anti-Robin, but I like having him around. I remember when I first started buying Batman comics to collect at 13 years old, I wanted Robin in the books because he was in the TV series I watched years earlier. That said, the 1970s is my favorite Bat-era and Batman does fine without Robin there.

My favorite Robin is still Carrie from Dark Knight Returns.

As for Detective 38, if I were buying expensive Bat-keys, Batman #1 would be first on my list, 'Tec #27 second, then 'Tec #38 third. I think Robin's origin story in that issue is the best Robin origin story ever done. No amount of fiddling over the last 65 years has done anything to improve it. (Frank Miller take note....)

Batman and Robin go together to me just like Bacon and eggs, franks and beans.

If your a Batman collector as I am, how can you not include Robin.

There are only 10 or so Tec issues with out robin. So I dont see Where Robin has a lack of importance. Comicbook wise there are ALOT of Tec 38s out there , maybe contributing to an extent a perception of an abundance of this book.

I need this book in 8.0 unrestored or better.Its not at the top of my list but it is important indeed.

Interestingly Jerry Weist in his book "The 100 most important comics' The books consensus has Detective 38 as more important than Detective 27. We are talking historically. Dollars are not in the mix. Take a look at Jerrys book to see my point.

By the way, I do not agree with the book on this point but with that aside Robin is Big time important.

Haters!

I believe for the detective series, the importance goes #27, #1, #38. Very MAJOR MAJOR key in the DC comic madness.

I agree. I think the anti-Robin thing is heavy on these boards but much less so with the general comic collecting public, and that 'Tec #38 will remain a critical DC key in perpetuity. Although books like More Fun #52 and Adventure #40 are much harder to find and therefore more respected amongst GA collectors, from a popular culture standpoint they're clearly less important.

Well put.

When in doubt, look at it this way. How far would you have to go to find somebody who know who Batman is? Then how far to find somebody who knows who Robin is Then how far to find somebody who knows about: a) the spectre? b? the Golden Age sandman? or c) anything whatsoever about detective comics #1?

27_laughing.gif isn't that part of the issue? that's batman's frank and beans might be hot for Robin's bacon? gossip.gifstooges.gif

There are only 10 or so Tec issues with out robin. So I dont see Where Robin has a lack of importance. Comicbook wise there are ALOT of Tec 38s out there , maybe contributing to an extent a perception of an abundance of this book.

I need this book in 8.0 unrestored or better.Its not at the top of my list but it is important indeed.

Interestingly Jerry Weist in his book "The 100 most important comics' The books consensus has Detective 38 as more important than Detective 27. We are talking historically. Dollars are not in the mix. Take a look at Jerrys book to see my point.

By the way, I do not agree with the book on this point but with that aside Robin is Big time important.

That's a crime.

funny thing about "bacon and eggs." (and many things we take for granted as 'normal.' I just read an article about great PR men especially the first guys who created the industry about 100 years ago. Seems one guy (one of the fathers of PR) had client in pork business and it was HIS idea to sell the idea of Bacon and eggs as the "perfect breakfast combination". One would assume it was just a natural farmer's breakfast for centuries or something like that. Seems people used to have coffee and toast predominately before the Bacon/eggs thing was pushed! Today noone questions its authenticity.

This guy also was behind the early pushes behind cigarettes instead of coffee as a healthier and easier way to get a "kickstart" during the day. That worked pretty good too!

As for Tec 38? IMO its a major key, always was and always will be, But its the GA Showcase 4 (the book not the guy!) Suffers from lack of respect. And I agree with that. Whether its the homoerotic nature of the "boy sidekick" thing that keeps us from (excuse the expression) "embracing" Tec 38 fully and freely, I dunno. But its no longer on many wantlists or hotly sought after. But It still shos up on everyones Top Keys list, especially Top Tecs.