• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #38 - 1st Robin - thoughts?

81 posts in this topic

I suspect many collectors thoughts on TEC 38 are similar to this: I agree it's a MAJOR key for its content. I just have very little desire to own a copy for reasons such as:

(1) High price.

(2) Cover pales in comparison to all other pre-Robin TEC covers from 27-37.

(3) Smiling Batman on cover is a real change of character from what we saw previously.

(4) No hate for Robin, but no love either. Apathetic really.

(5) Many copies for sale at dealer websites, auction houses, etc compared to surrounding issues. Many GA collectors enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Bottom line, I respect this book but there's just many other books I would want ahead of it.

Oh, and I can't afford a copy either. sorry.gif

it's a major key, moreso than the first Spectre, etc.- but that does not overcome the fact that Robin is L A M E. It's the same sort of lameness that inflicts all the happy-go-lucky GA hero books (see Captain Marvel).

Batman without Robin is just so much cooler than he is with him. So it's a major key, in a bad way. The issue where Batman got lamer.

Robin is to Batman like Susie Lane is to Superman

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=3360&zoom=4

except they had to good sense to get rid of Susie.

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

Stephen is by far the expert on this topic, and therefore I'm sure he is correct, although I'm not sure exactly why.......

Steven

Used to own a 'Tec 38, but no longer. I'm neutral on the whole Robin thing. Some opportunities for some excellent stories (e.g., Batman 5 where it looks like Robin was beaten to death by thugs), but I do concede that the pre-Robin Batman was the best.

STEVE

My problem with Robin is not really his fault, he's simply just not written well.

My favorite Batman stories are solo.... Englehart/Rogers, O'Neill/Adams, Miller's Year One, Grant/Breyfogle's run, etc. Only TDKR has a Robin... and a girl at that!

But It still shos up on everyones Top Keys list, especially Top Tecs.

Well sure, After Tec 27-37 Batman covers, its probably the best Tec to own.

I agree that a smiling Batman on 38 was a far reach from the early issues.

In my expert opinion, Detective #38 is a more significant key than More Fun #52, Adventure #40 and All-American #16.

S

Stephen is by far the expert on this topic, and therefore I'm sure he is correct, although I'm not sure exactly why.......

Steven

I agree with Stephen's comments but as a cover piece the Tec #38 would rank 4th on that list by a wide margin. Batman Tec's with Robin just take away all the edge that the pre-Robin Tec's are famous for. Side kicks suck and the whole concept has been pretty much dead for years (thank godness).

My favorite Robin is still Carrie from Dark Knight Returns.

One of the reasons I never read DKR is that Miller drew Robin like a girl. tongue.gif

I actually have a copy that I picked up a couple years ago but I still haven't read it.

One of the reasons I never read DKR is that Miller drew Robin like a girl. tongue.gif

I actually have a copy that I picked up a couple years but I still haven't read it.

I read DKR and did not like the fact that Robin is a girl. Anyway I like TEC 38 because its the 1st appearance of Robin- Grayson...who eventually became Nightwing. headbang.gif I bought a box of Nightwing 1-50 for good reading and stopped at #70 issues.

i think people here would like TEC 31 more than the 38? just my guess.

Actually Detective 38 is high on my list of books I want to pick up this year. Given the number available, I am not in a huge rush but want to pick up a clean presentable copy. I am not a huge Robin fan, but I do think Detective 38 is one of the more important issue in the entire series.

Haters!

I believe for the detective series, the importance goes #27, #1, #38. Very MAJOR MAJOR key in the DC comic madness.

I agree. I think the anti-Robin thing is heavy on these boards but much less so with the general comic collecting public, and that 'Tec #38 will remain a critical DC key in perpetuity. Although books like More Fun #52 and Adventure #40 are much harder to find and therefore more respected amongst GA collectors, from a popular culture standpoint they're clearly less important.

Well put.

When in doubt, look at it this way. How far would you have to go to find somebody who know who Batman is? Then how far to find somebody who knows who Robin is Then how far to find somebody who knows about: a) the spectre? b? the Golden Age sandman? or c) anything whatsoever about detective comics #1?

From the broader popular culture standpoint, Detective #38 would be unimpressive as well - more people would recognize Robin before The Spectre or The Sandman for sure, but would be about as interested in his his first appearance a they would be with Lois Lane's.

Certainly it is a key book - just not a broadly respected one. If I found myself with the wherewithall to start collecting GA 'Tecs, I would probably work on acquiring pre-Robin Batman covers, Villain covers, the Crimson Avenger covers, and a few of the better pre-hero covers before I turned my attention to #38.

I actually have a copy that I picked up a couple years but I still haven't read it.

I read DKR and did not like the fact that Robin is a girl.

For the record, Miller ruined her character in DKR2. But that's a complaint for the Modern section.

Haters!

I believe for the detective series, the importance goes #27, #1, #38. Very MAJOR MAJOR key in the DC comic madness.

I agree. I think the anti-Robin thing is heavy on these boards but much less so with the general comic collecting public, and that 'Tec #38 will remain a critical DC key in perpetuity. Although books like More Fun #52 and Adventure #40 are much harder to find and therefore more respected amongst GA collectors, from a popular culture standpoint they're clearly less important.

Well put.

When in doubt, look at it this way. How far would you have to go to find somebody who know who Batman is? Then how far to find somebody who knows who Robin is Then how far to find somebody who knows about: a) the spectre? b? the Golden Age sandman? or c) anything whatsoever about detective comics #1?

From the broader popular culture standpoint, Detective #38 would be unimpressive as well - more people would recognize Robin before The Spectre or The Sandman for sure, but would be about as interested in his his first appearance a they would be with Lois Lane's.

Certainly it is a key book - just not a broadly respected one. If I found myself with the wherewithall to start collecting GA 'Tecs, I would probably work on acquiring pre-Robin Batman covers, Villain covers, the Crimson Avenger covers, and a few of the better pre-hero covers before I turned my attention to #38.

To be honest I think first appearances are exciting just within the hobby, period. So wether it's Robin's 1st or Batman's, it wouldn't matter. With the release of 'Smallville' I wouldn't be more suprised if more people were interested in Lois Lane's 1st appearance compared to Batman's.

I have a #38 but i's only an unrestored 3.0 (even if it is the Crippen copy).

I currently wouldn't buy a higher graded copy as there are more interesting preRobin Tecs that are my primary targets.

George

Haters!

Well put.

To be honest I think first appearances are exciting just within the hobby, period. So wether it's Robin's 1st or Batman's, it wouldn't matter. With the release of 'Smallville' I wouldn't be more suprised if more people were interested in Lois Lane's 1st appearance compared to Batman's.

I agree. The book with Lois Lane's first appearance should be worth a lot. In fact I think it was in the June, 1938 issue of Action Comics. Pick them up now before other people catch on.

I can only speak for myself, and I am not interested in Tec 38, althought you are right, it is a key ( major key is debatable...not on the same shelf as Action 1, Tec 27, All American 16, Adventure 40, More Fun 52, etc etc ).

S

Steve;

You might be able to convince me that 'Tec #38 is more "significant" than More Fun #52 or Adventure #40, but definitely not when it comes to the case of All-American #16.