• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing staples

32 posts in this topic

How does missing a staple effect the grade of a book?

I know that older GA books published during the war had only one staple to conserve metal, which will not hinder the grade of the book. However, books printed after the war, would probably receive the Q label, or reduce the grade.

I know that older GA books published during the war had only one staple to conserve metal, which will not hinder the grade of the book. However, books printed after the war, would probably receive the Q label, or reduce the grade.

I didn't know that...great info 'Lok!!! thumbsup2.gif They better not EVER call you a DAT in front of me! 893naughty-thumb.gif

If I am not mistaken, some books were manufactured with one staple (typically in the center of the spine) for some period after the WWII as well. I beleive I have seen books even from the early 50s manufactured with one staple.

In regard to the books with a Q label, I think this may only refer to the highest grades. For instance, a VF (or below) manufactured with only one staple might get a blue label... it could be an acceptable production flaw at those grade levels.

I may be mistaking but I kinda of remember seeing a slabbed book, blue label, with a notation stating its had a missing staple.

I may be wrong but doesn't a book get a qualified label if it's manufactured with a missing staple (ie. staple should be there but book has no holes) as opposed to one that's been lost/removed.

I may be mistaking but I kinda of remember seeing a slabbed book, blue label, with a notation stating its had a missing staple.

I may be wrong but doesn't a book get a qualified label if it's manufactured with a missing staple (ie. staple should be there but book has no holes) as opposed to one that's been lost/removed.

A Qualified label applies to a book that would be a higher grade if not for the defect. For example, a book is a 9.6 book, but the centerfold is detached from one staple. The book would receive a Qualified 9.6 label.

A Qualified label applies to a book that would be a higher grade if not for the defect. For example, a book is a 9.6 book, but the centerfold is detached from one staple. The book would receive a Qualified 9.6 label.

thumbsup2.gif

It's amazing the mis-information you get on these boards sometimes . . . insane.gif

The grade of a book that has been manufactured without one of its staples is not impacted whatsoever, regardless of the grade of the book. sumo.gif

It's amazing the mis-information you get on these boards sometimes . . . insane.gif

The grade of a book that has been manufactured without one of its staples is not impacted whatsoever, regardless of the grade of the book. sumo.gif

i knew someone would get it right if i just kept reading. thumbsup2.gif

acclaim.gifhi.gif

That was my thoughts, but just didn't dare to say it.

I hope you're still reading, because here is the real answer. It depends on the age of the book, but for a silver age book, a book manufactured without one of its staples can get as high as 9.6.

I hope you're still reading, because here is the real answer. It depends on the age of the book, but for a silver age book, a book manufactured without one of its staples can get as high as 9.6.

They printed comics after 1975? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

None that matter . . . hi.gif

btw, who's that Steve-guy??? And what does he know sumo.gifinsane.gif

They printed comics after 1975? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

None that matter . . . hi.gif

btw, who's that Steve-guy??? And what does he know sumo.gifinsane.gif

He's just some hippie with a ponytail and an opinion. yay.gif