• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 10

72 posts in this topic

Sometimes a book is better in real life then in a flat scan. There were some very good points to this book. I guess I'll have to do like Aces and increase my bump factor, or I just need to loosen my grading standards.

The couple of times I tried that (not here... frustrated.gif), I ended up substantially overgrading.... tonofbricks.gif

If I don't try to second-guess, I invariably undergrade. If I do to try to out think Master Nik hail.gif, I invariably end up flamed.gif

This book proves one of two things (or both).

1) Trying to guess the CGC grade from a scan is pointless.

2) CGC's grading standards don't downgrade for certain defects (like huge wrinkled creases on the back yeahok.gif) that most all of us would downgrade for.

So with that said, this whole thing is basically a crapshoot...... unless you know CGC's grading standards.

So far we have the following exceptions that they don't downgrade for:

1) dirt & stains

2) wrinkles (which perhaps they see as a printing defect. confused-smiley-013.gif It's still there and it's still ugly as hell. sumo.gif)

This book proves one of two things (or both).

1) Trying to guess the CGC grade from a scan is pointless.

2) CGC's grading standards don't downgrade for certain defects (like huge wrinkled creases on the back yeahok.gif) that most all of us would downgrade for.

So with that said, this whole thing is basically a crapshoot...... unless you know CGC's grading standards.

So far we have the following exceptions that they don't downgrade for:

1) dirt & stains

2) wrinkles (which perhaps they see as a printing defect. confused-smiley-013.gif It's still there and it's still ugly as hell. sumo.gif)

Just take a deep breath and keep telling yourself..."Its all for fun...Its all for fun..." tonofbricks.gif

Lets not go overboard here.

They do deduct for stains confused-smiley-013.gif

Light dirt can be easily erased if one chose to do so confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally I have seen 9.8 books listed with fugly mis-wraps which in my opinion do not deserve a 9.8 grade

As for printing creases, who knows confused-smiley-013.gif

I guessed a lowly 8.0 and I wasn't even deducting for the printing creases which I knew that CGC doesn't deduct for unless they are extremely unsightly or damaging.

I thought the spine creases in the icon box were deeper than just minor tics(which apparantly CGC saw them as). frustrated.gif

I also try to learn from each book and evolve my abilities based on what CGC standards are. I find they are consistent for the most part. I'm just trying to train myself on what they look for and it's been working well. Practice, practice and more practice.

I think what I'm seeing is a move towards people being very conservative when viewing a scan but we have to remember it's a scan and we aren't seeing the book in hand.

Ultimately that's what we're here for.. to share and learn!!

Due to the long spider creases in the logo box + a few spine stresses + staple stresses visible on the back + a few soft corners I thought it was a 9.0. But, since I've been undergrading the whole contest, I added .2 and guessed 9.2.

... I still didn't add enough. tonofbricks.gif

9.4? 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

Due to the long spider creases in the logo box + a few spine stresses + staple stresses visible on the back + a few soft corners I thought it was a 9.0. But, since I've been undergrading the whole contest, I added .2 and guessed 9.2.

... I still didn't add enough. tonofbricks.gif

9.4? 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

The last magic ingredient you forgot to add was the book's age. ( I forgot too ) I find there's no hope in hell a modern in the same condition would be 9.4. People have taken better care of their books since the early 80's so I'm fully confident that there's a curve involved. I don't think it's a conspriacy thing. I actually would agree that there should be a curve to books that a kept in a nicer state after 35+ years.

At first I was hoping I'd win. screwy.gif

Then I settled I'd be top Canadian tonofbricks.gif

Then I'd still be happy if I were top Manitobian. flamed.gif

Curse you Dad&Son!

acclaim.gif I do throw contests for bribes poke2.gif

I offered Nik $5 bucks for the grades to the next ten rounds he turned me down but that fin could be yours just say the word. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifshy.gif

At first I was hoping I'd win. screwy.gif

Then I settled I'd be top Canadian tonofbricks.gif

Then I'd still be happy if I were top Manitobian. flamed.gif

Curse you Dad&Son!

acclaim.gif I do throw contests for bribes poke2.gif

I offered Nik $5 bucks for the grades to the next ten rounds he turned me down but that fin could be yours just say the word. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifshy.gif

I don't know the grades..but I can guess 1.0 for everything else... 27_laughing.gif

I also try to learn from each book and evolve my abilities based on what CGC standards are. I find they are consistent for the most part. I'm just trying to train myself on what they look for and it's been working well. Practice, practice and more practice.

I think what I'm seeing is a move towards people being very conservative when viewing a scan but we have to remember it's a scan and we aren't seeing the book in hand.

Ultimately that's what we're here for.. to share and learn!!

Quit being so positive poke2.gif

insane.gif