• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celebrating Vaughn Bode

10 posts in this topic

Bode was the greatest! If you liked that sort of thing he had you laughing in every panel. It's too bad about the way he died. Still, he will be remembered for what he did in his life rather than his tragic (and if you're not emotionally involved extremely amusing) death. In fact, his death was almost like the last panel in a Deadbone Erotica strip.

Here is a Vaughn Bode story/rumour that you may have never heard before: When Vaughn Bode worked for Cavalier Magazine which was read exclusively by perverts and misfits, the perverts and misfits used to write letters demanding that "Deadbone" be removed from the publication as it was too sick even for THEM! You probably heard it here first folks, unless of course you heard it somewhere else...

You could be both.

I loved Bode's stuff. I saw him do the "Cartoon Concert" once and almost wet my pants. Everybody there, and it was a college crowd, almost wet their pants except for the people who actually did wet their pants. He said at one point in the concert that he could go to Disney and "mess" up America (he would never have really said mess) instead of just messing up college students.

There were many things I loved about his work, but at the front of it, he broke down taboos. Like Crumb, he was absolutely disgusting. He just didn't care what anybody thought. I can hardly believe that people would print it. Then again it was 35 years ago and people were more willing to joke about sex, race and violence than they are today.

Who knows what he would be doing today if he didn't off himself. Probably sitting around with Jeff Jones, wearing a dress, screaming obscenities at passers by. Occasionally someone would invite him to a convention where old guys like me would bring up copies of National Lampoon with his stuff in it and say, "Gee whiz, Mr. uhhh, Miss Bode, uhhh, Vaughn, could I have your autograph... please... I've loved your work my entire life." He would sell his Hugo Award on Ebay, using the procedes towards the next step of his gender reassignment operation. His kid, Mark, would never have entered comics seeing no need to carry on where his old man stopped. He would likely be a stock broker at a midsize firm by now and be completely estranged from his old man.

Occasionally, Bode would get drunk and bring out his Walt Kelly collection, crying at the genius that was Pogo Possum. If Jones were to suggest that Barks was in fact the better craftsman, Bode would slug him right in the breadbasket, which at age sixty wouldn't make much difference.

I miss him. All right thinking people miss him.

Where are the perverts now that America Need Perverts. America has a pickle up it's *spoon* so far that I find myself writing *spoon* here instead of the real word which is a three letter word meaning rectum.

Bode, Crumb, S.Clay Wilson, Skip WIlliamson and J.Z. Lynch through caution to the wind in their finely crafted stories, not particularly caring who they would offend. They embodied *spoon* them if they can't take a joke.

Is there any equivalent today, inside or outside of comics? Is there a humour magazine that can match National Lampoon for disgusting racist, sexist, bigotted humour? I think not! Is there an underground comic scene today? Who is the Vaughn Bode of 2007?

"Political Correctness" started as an honest way of saying that someone was doing what should be done in the eyes of the powers that be. The words were not used to mock people acting in a middle-of-the-road way, as they do today. But no one will not, go out on a limb and mock the self-righteous.