• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will I be able to afford these within the next 5-10 years?

43 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I'm in school right now, sometime next year I will finally start working and have a career. I'm sure this will seem extremely dorky even for a comic board but at least a few nights every week I've been researching, looking at, and trying to narrow down THE 10 comics I would like to own. (Also doing the same for sports cards for sure, and have also been looking at other collectibles.)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure on the ten comics I really want to own. 7 are GA, so my questions are mainly about them. Anyways, here's the list alphabetical:

Albedo #2

Amazing Fantasy #15

Detective Comics # 13, 18, 31

Great Comics #3

Punch Comics #12

Shock Suspenstories #6

Suspense Comics #3, 11

I'm going to be able to save between $100-$300 a week towards comics starting in the next 1-2 years. My goal is to own these books within a decade at the longest. I'm not worried about the obvious ones, but I am very curious about the Tecs, great 3, and suspense 3.

The Detectives I want seem very desirable now, I've never seen the Great #3 for sale, and the Suspense #3 seems like it may go out of my price range ($5,000 or less at the absolute most) by the time I have the money for it.

What is your advice to me? I can compromise on the Detectives #18, and 31, can't compromise on Detective #13, Great Comics #3 and Suspense Comics #3. (Course I had to compromise on getting Action Comics #1, hope I won't have to do the same with Suspense #3.)

Also, I'm really hesitant about restored books, is that the only way I may own some of these, or should I hold out for unrestored?

Would love to hear from anyone on this! smile.gif

(Also, wish me luck on adding a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle to my card list, I really want one but I'm afraid it might be just out of my range even in 1.0-2.0) Oh well.

Also, I'm really hesitant about restored books, is that the only way I may own some of these, or should I hold out for unrestored?

Hold out for unrestored.

On your other questions, too many variables. Depends how much you're going to make, what other major expenses you're going to have in your life, how much your salary goes up compared to comic prices, etc. During the last 30+ years, the appreciation in comic valuations have significantly outpaced appreciation in average incomes. Whether this will continue, or whether comic valuations will actually retrench, is unkown.

My suggestion is just build up your war-chest and just reel these in one by one. It's the only approach most of us who aren't mega-wealthy can take. Another collector recently said it was too daunting to contemplate picking up a complete run of any major SA title because it was going to be a $100K+ exercise. My response was you can't think that way, because if you think of it in the aggregate it WILL be daunting. Just focus on one book at a time, and if you stick to it one day you'll suddenly realize that you've got all, or most, of the books you want.

comics I would like to own.

I can compromise on the Detectives #18, and 31, can't compromise on Detective #13

..........why do you find Tec 13 to be such a "must have" for yourself?

( there is no right or wrong answer to this...just curious )

Steve

I'm going to be able to save between $100-$300 a week towards comics starting in the next 1-2 years.

I think your goal is admirable and I wish you all the best of luck in obtaining these great books.

Just watch out for those unplanned, unexpected expenses. They have a tendency to spring up at the most inconvenient times.

Hi everybody,

I'm in school right now, sometime next year I will finally start working and have a career. I'm sure this will seem extremely dorky even for a comic board but at least a few nights every week I've been researching, looking at, and trying to narrow down THE 10 comics I would like to own. (Also doing the same for sports cards for sure, and have also been looking at other collectibles.)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure on the ten comics I really want to own. 7 are GA, so my questions are mainly about them. Anyways, here's the list alphabetical:

Albedo #2

Amazing Fantasy #15

Great Comics #3

Punch Comics #12

Shock Suspenstories #6

Suspense Comics #3, 11

I'm going to be able to save between $100-$300 a week towards comics starting in the next 1-2 years. My goal is to own these books within a decade at the longest. I'm not worried about the obvious ones, but I am very curious about the Tecs, great 3, and suspense 3.

The Detectives I want seem very desirable now, I've never seen the Great #3 for sale, and the Suspense #3 seems like it may go out of my price range ($5,000 or less at the absolute most) by the time I have the money for it.

What is your advice to me? I can compromise on the Detectives #18, and 31, can't compromise on Detective #13, Great Comics #3 and Suspense Comics #3. (Course I had to compromise on getting Action Comics #1, hope I won't have to do the same with Suspense #3.)

Would love to hear from anyone on this! smile.gif

(Also, wish me luck on adding a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle to my card list, I really want one but I'm afraid it might be just out of my range even in 1.0-2.0) Oh well.

Great list (except for Albedo2 IMO).

I think you can do it IF you remain focused on these books. I would also say think long and hard about the minimal acceptable grade and book features you want, so you don't buy something you'll regret and don't feel compelled to upgrade.

That said, the problem you will encounter is that you'll buy lots of other books that you'll feel you can't pass up and you'll soon realize that your $s toward those 10 books keep getting drained. We all seem to have a similar list but none of us can stay sufficiently focused. Only those with major $s or with massive collections that allow them to sell off a few books when they need a quick $10K or more can land their grails whenever they come along.

One solution is to give yourself 25 years (after all, the fun is in the hunt).

...and the Suspense #3 seems like it may go out of my price range ($5,000 or less at the absolute most) by the time I have the money for it.

I would have to agree with you on this. A 1.5 recently went for $4500, so unless you are aiming for a 0.5 or 1.0, I doubt you will be able to find one for under $5000 in a few years.

...and the Suspense #3 seems like it may go out of my price range ($5,000 or less at the absolute most) by the time I have the money for it.

I would have to agree with you on this. A 1.5 recently went for $4500, so unless you are aiming for a 0.5 or 1.0, I doubt you will be able to find one for under $5000 in a few years.

On top of that, it's escalating in price rapidly with these recent sales.

In my opinion, I can't see Albedo #2 holding value over the long run. I can't see that book rising in price like the others, and you could probably get a deal in another 5-10 years.

A few thoughts

While some have an extreme aversion to any sort of resto, when it comes to expensive hard to find books - a book with slight to moderate resto. can be your best shot at an affordable copy - but it is tougher to gauge FMV. Extensive resto is trickier as one is often in the area of recreation and not just restoration.

While thee has historically been little downward pressure on high grade prices for any era except modern, low and mid-grade does fluctuate. Just because a Suspense #3 in less than Good recently sold for nearly $5K, doesn't mean that is the new floor pricewise.

Some of your grails are far more affordable - concentrate on them, but your tastes will change and without doubt more books will enter your sphere of interest.

If Detective #13 is truely a top grail, keep a constant eye out, and be ready to pop for a low grade and/or restored copy at any time, even if it seems a little expensive.

I've found that even if it turns out not to have been the shrewdest investment, that the pain of overpaying by as much as 50% for a book that is hard to find fades quickly, while knowing you passed and am unable to find another copy is a nagging discomfort. Just don't do this too often.

Grade is a big factor here toward affordability. If you go with lower grades and come up with an acceptable level of restoration (for me on a book by book basis), you might be able to achieve your goal. Don't get distracted by other shiny things! (My problem.)

Heritage sold a CGC 2.5 Great Comics #3 recently. It sold for 2.5X guide.

IMO, the Detective prices will outpace the others, as it is the only (GA) book in the list with a real connection to comics still being published. The other books will likely fluctuate much more with collectors tastes. But people will always be collecting Batman related books. 'Fresh' blood into the GA market will take longer to discover more obscure books known only for thier cover art and scarcity.

and regarding Albedo #2, I can only continue to be baffled by that books popularity, seriously!

Yeah, given that Albedo 3, which is only somehwhat more common, is a $10-$20 book in nice shape and probably won't crack triple digits in a 9.6 (I know, I've sold about 10-15 raw copies over the last 18 months), quadruple digits on #2 seems weird, particularly because as of about 2-3 years ago, before the book exploded, Joe Koch had warehouse copies sitting in his store for like $100-$150 a pop.

As for GA, keep in mind that not every "2.0" in a slab is the same. We are all aware of the uber-ugly Action #1 2.5. I just sold a Red Dragon #7 2.0 in a slab that was structurally pretty good. Had a couple of pencil scribbles on the cover and what not, but no chunks out, no fungus, etc. Granted, on most of your books if someone had a nice 2.0 they'd probably shoot for a re-sub, but hey, you never know. Go for the book, not the number on the slab!!

Go for the book, not the number on the slab!!

thumbsup2.gif

I would also not hesitate to buy restored books for the right price discount. Don't forget, as time goes on, all these books will need some sort of treatment or they will disintegrate with age. Additionally, in the future who is to say what undetectable resto techniques will be developed, causing havoc with the unrestored market? Today we have pressing, which in my mind already calls into question any book graded above a 9.0.

Also, what resto are we taking about? A little tear repair and minor CT or totally reconstructing the cover? There's a big difference. You will see VFs with the little tear repair and small CT selling for huge discounts, often well below what they would sell for if no work had been done on the book. I'm not really putting my money where my mouth is on this one, but to me, that's the market behaving irrationally. Major piece replacement is another story. But if you can get something with minimal work done on it that's priced like a 2.0 - 4.0 but looks like a VF, that's something to consider.

Well, let's say the latest 2.0 sale was 3X OPG.....

I guess I'm more thinking of the VG FMV on a book like that. A nice book with a little rip that could look nicer with some CT is probably going to do better than a 4.0 with CGC pre-resto, yet my guess is that many such books (depending on the book) will be sneered at and might have trouble hitting the 4.0 price

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I think I'll probably just let the Suspense #3 go then. May have to do the same on Detective #31, we'll see. If I were to spend $4,000-$5,000+ on one book, I'd personally rather have Great #3 or a presentable AF #15.

As far as Albedo #2 goes, it definitely sticks out like sore thumb on my list, but it has alot on sentimental value to me. When I was a kid/young teenager my favorite comics were anything Spider-man and Usagi Yojimbo. I remember my local comic shop had a copy of Albedo #2 on the wall for $100 around 1990/1991. I saved up for weeks and went in to buy it only to find out it had sold a few days prior. Never saw another copy again, until I started to get interested in comics once again the past year or so.

As for Detective #13 I just really, really like the cover. Can't explain why, just personal taste I guess.

I won't be buying anyone of these books anytime soon, so I imagine my list will change a bit. On the plus side, I have a year or two to decide which books I really want to own/are special to me, so hopefully once I do start collecting again it will be focused and I won't buy random books every week or two.

I think you have zeroed in on the inherent problem with champagne tastes and trailer wallets. You picked great books, but at $5K apiece, you will end up with low grade copies. IMO, as you said above, If I were to spend $4,000-$5,000+ on one book, I'd personally rather have Great #3 or a presentable AF #15. ... I agree that the 30K or more you plan to spend is better spent on nicer copies of fewer books.

Sadly many great comics have already priced themselves out of the hands of collectors who desire them.

A nice book with a little rip that could look nicer with some CT is probably going to do better than a 4.0 with CGC pre-resto, yet my guess is that many such books (depending on the book) will be sneered at and might have trouble hitting the 4.0 price

Slight color touch. Purchased from Heritage for $60. Unrestored VF in OS is about $400:

1637635-rulah22vf_r.jpg

1637635-rulah22vf_r.jpg.8e94533cbb1de283819be5b01f591797.jpg