• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF DISCLOSED, WOULD YOU PURCHASED A PRESSED BOOK?

If freely & properly disclosed, would you be willing to purchase a book that has been pressed ?   

615 members have voted

1. 1. If freely & properly disclosed, would you be willing to purchase a book that has been pressed ?

61 posts in this topic

hello all...

I view restoration in "quantitative" terms.... as anything "added" to the book (chemicals to clean that are absorbed into the paper, color touch, paper, etc) versus "qualitative" (versus "destructive", such as trimming)...I don't view pressing as restoration since, to me, it is qualitative (improves the quality/appearance, but has not "added" anything tangible to the book)....dry cleaning alters a book, but does not "add" anything to it, so again, I view it as qualitative (the dry cleaning chemicals are not absorbed into the paper/added to the paper, like aqueous, correct?)....

so, for me, don't care if it has been pressed or not (then again, I buy lower/mid grade and restored books, I don't mess with 9.0 or higher, generally, so pressing does not affect the prices I pay, in general)...I always support full disclosure though...

rick

I'm new to these boards, but I've been collecting for 20 years.

I personally would not care if a book has been pressed (except squarebound books for now), but I would like to be informed if it has been pressed. I think disclosure is a good thing.

For the most part, I would not want to buy any books that have been cleaned if I can afford the same grade that was not cleaned

I do have 2 questions about pressing though.

1) How much heat is used

2) When a squarebound book with a glued spine is pressed, does the glue melt or soften to the point where it can molded perfectly flat.

I'm new to these boards, but I've been collecting for 20 years.

I personally would not care if a book has been pressed (except squarebound books for now), but I would like to be informed if it has been pressed. I think disclosure is a good thing.

For the most part, I would not want to buy any books that have been cleaned if I can afford the same grade that was not cleaned

I do have 2 questions about pressing though.

1) How much heat is used

2) When a squarebound book with a glued spine is pressed, does the glue melt or soften to the point where it can molded perfectly flat.

Welcome to the boards fellow Winnipeger!! hi.gif

To answer your questions vaguely...

1) not much at all

2) logic would certainly dictate that the glue softens..that's just science fact...but it can be molded perfectly flat... some of my better practices have yielded best results with squarebounds.

Another winnipeg collector! Right on!! yay.gif

Well, if glued squarebound books can be pressed perfectly flat, particularly at the spine, then I can see there being a heck of a lot more high grade magazines out there than there are now. (if they were to be pressed)

I have a fairly large magazine collection and there are quite a few with wavy spines due to the glue used. Especially some of my Vampirella, Eerie, and Creepy mags. I can think of a few that are otherwise perfect if it were not for the wavy spine.

If I were to get them pressed, I am sure they would grade out at 9.4 or better.

Now, how many other collectors are out there with the same kinds of books (super high grade if not for the wavy spine) that would get them pressed, graded by CGC, then sold as a 9.4 or better in a blue slab? From what I understand, if it was pressed properly, it would be undetectible.

Now unless there was a way to confirm that a book has been pressed, I think this may be a loosing battle for those that are pushing for disclosure.

For many, it's all about the all-mighty dollar. I'm sure we all would like the most money for our books when/if the time comes to sell, but I think that greed might get the better of some.

Another winnipeg collector! Right on!! yay.gif

Well, if glued squarebound books can be pressed perfectly flat, particularly at the spine, then I can see there being a heck of a lot more high grade magazines out there than there are now. (if they were to be pressed)

I have a fairly large magazine collection and there are quite a few with wavy spines due to the glue used. Especially some of my Vampirella, Eerie, and Creepy mags. I can think of a few that are otherwise perfect if it were not for the wavy spine.

If I were to get them pressed, I am sure they would grade out at 9.4 or better.

Now, how many other collectors are out there with the same kinds of books (super high grade if not for the wavy spine) that would get them pressed, graded by CGC, then sold as a 9.4 or better in a blue slab? From what I understand, if it was pressed properly, it would be undetectible.

Now unless there was a way to confirm that a book has been pressed, I think this may be a loosing battle for those that are pushing for disclosure.

For many, it's all about the all-mighty dollar. I'm sure we all would like the most money for our books when/if the time comes to sell, but I think that greed might get the better of some.

gossip.gif check out the NOD thread in the general section on page 1...lots to read..and you'll get many answers from it. thumbsup2.gif

Wow! I did'nt realize this thread was over a year old. It's funny, this was a clear attempt to try and invovle myself more with the board members here outside of just buying stuff. lol

Knowingly, hell no. I don't support the practice. Not until it's detectable and pressed books find their way "home". A purple slab.

I do not care if a book has been pressed. I just want to know.

That being said.

Is your statement about trying to get grae bumps or are you against pressing for conservation? A heavy spine roll that is stressing at the staples, I would in a second. To turn my 9.6 into a 9.8? No.

Knowingly, hell no. I don't support the practice. Not until it's detectable and pressed books find their way "home". A purple slab.

I do not care if a book has been pressed. I just want to know.

That being said.

Is your statement about trying to get grae bumps or are you against pressing for conservation? A heavy spine roll that is stressing at the staples, I would in a second. To turn my 9.6 into a 9.8? No.

How is pressing conservation Pat? I don't see how a spine roll is going to deteriorate a comic. If the "book with heavy spine roll" is that valuable why would it be handled at all? The way I see it, pressing is a restorative measure used to make a book more appealing so it can be sold at a MUCH higher profit. With all the :censored: insane prices being paid for Ultra HG books the majority of collectors/dealers will turn a blind eye if they can cash in on pressed books.

Looks like this may turn into another pressin' thread :D

I would buy a book that had been pressed if I knew about it. I would buy a book that had been pressed if I didn't know about it - who wouldn't (shrug)

Yes I would press a book to get a higher grade for myself, I'm not really into selling slabs. Would I let someone know a slab I did actually sell was pressed? God yes. Sorry but I can't get my head around this properly as I'm not really a seller, so i argue with myself for hours about pressing.

You guys depress me :slapfight: