• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF DISCLOSED, WOULD YOU PURCHASED A PRESSED BOOK?

If freely & properly disclosed, would you be willing to purchase a book that has been pressed ?   

615 members have voted

1. 1. If freely & properly disclosed, would you be willing to purchase a book that has been pressed ?

61 posts in this topic

I would say that it depends on the book. For instance, if I won an 8.0 copy of a Jungle Comics book for $100, and later found out that it was pressed from a 6.5 copy to remove a slight spine roll, I probably wouldn't be too upset. The newly pressed book looks much nicer now, and it probably only cost me an additional $20 to $30 (vs. the 6.5 copy).

On the otherhand, once you get into the multiples being paid for a .2 jump, that's when I'd personally draw the line. This is one of the reasons why I gave up on paying multiples for HG books, and settled for the nice looking 8.5 and 9.0 copies that are near guide value.

I guess I'm the one "NO" acclaim.gif

But, what I would do, is be willing to do future business with the seller who did disclose the pressing. I would respect the honesty of that dealer and would happily buy any unpressed books he has.

I apologize for not placing other options, such as "I don't know enough about pressing to make a decision", or "Depends what the previous grade of the book was" or any others...

Feel free to post suggestions on how this might be improved & if viable, I will delete the thread & repost it after some modifications...

This is basically an indicator to Sellers who MAY or MAY NOT engage in undisclosed pressing of books (I can just picture a "pressing sweatshop" in the basement of one of these major comics dealers 27_laughing.gif), of what the current mentality off pressing/disclosure is of THESE boards...

maybe it will be enough to encourage full disclosure, maybe NOT, but hopefully it will put a bug in their ears... gossip.gif

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. If I'm correct (and someone please correct me if I'm not) pressing is not considered restoration by either CGC or Overstreet. If that's the case, then why does anyone care?

I'm not sure I understand the issue here. If I'm correct (and someone please correct me if I'm not) pressing is not considered restoration by either CGC or Overstreet. If that's the case, then why does anyone care?
Some people consider pressing restoration. I personally have not made up my mind yet. Chances are, that I would not buy a book if I knew it was pressed. I have to wonder what does to the paper.

Not so sure about Overstreet. If you recall the recent debate about the definition of restoration that ensued after the new Overstreet came out this year, it was because they had included "pressing" as restoration previously, then it was left out of this year's, but then it was determined to be an editing error and was to be put back in as I understand it.

So, to my knowledge, they have and do consider pressing restoration.

As to CGC and what they consider pressing to be...who cares frankly. No offense to their views, but that's all that they are. They've been here since 2000 and I wouldn't crown them as hobby's final definition arbitrator. To me, their view is more of a practical stance for their business practice and thus is biased by that model.

As long as it is disclosed and the price is right I would certainly purchase a pressed book.

I have purchased several restored books, and pressing is far less of an issue than more complete restoration. Overall I would rather have a book that is pleasing to look at and will hold up over the years to come.

Mainly the pressed or restored books I would look at are GA keys or semi keys where I could never afford the price if they were not "tainted"

I apologize for not placing other options, such as "I don't know enough about pressing to make a decision", or "Depends what the previous grade of the book was" or any others...

Feel free to post suggestions on how this might be improved & if viable, I will delete the thread & repost it after some modifications...

This is basically an indicator to Sellers who MAY or MAY NOT engage in undisclosed pressing of books (I can just picture a "pressing sweatshop" in the basement of one of these major comics dealers 27_laughing.gif), of what the current mentality off pressing/disclosure is of THESE boards...

maybe it will be enough to encourage full disclosure, maybe NOT, but hopefully it will put a bug in their ears... gossip.gif

I hate to admit it and I'm in this category and I'm not 100 % sure exactly what the details are for the procedures of pressing. I realize the book is "squeezed" or flattened and I've heard heat applied. Would someone mind explaining the exact procedures for pressing. Thank you.

As far as buying a book pressed I'm not totally sure until I know the exact process involved and would really appreciate if a seller/dealer would disclose that this procedure was done to show his honesty.

Having owned (and still own) several pressed books, I would definitely purchase a pressed book if disclosed. My Batman 15 is cleaned and pressed but I paid 1/6 guide for it. My only concern with pressed books is if they have been pressed incorrectly, having also owned books that fit into that catagory as well.

I would buy a pressed book... I don't consider pressing and dry cleaning restoration. Would I sell pressed books.. yes.. would I disclose it ....yes... do I judge others who don't disclose pressing... nope !!!

People often harp on dealers that don't disclose pressing. I'm of the thought that "hey people... if you see a 9.6-9.8 SA or BA book... there's a damn strong chance that it's been pressed. Think about it.. this is cheap paper stock and you think it could remain pristine for 30-40 years.. that's just screwy.gif27_laughing.gif