• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grail is HERE...Story inside. See new post

97 posts in this topic

and this damn snowstorm delayed FedEx 1 to 2 days. Curse you mother nature! frustrated.gif

It should be here by now!

Hey Buck......the seller mistakenly sent your "grail" to me, and I opened the package by mistake......here is a little peak. PM me with your shipping address, and I'll get it right out to you.

Steve

1642659-tec140.jpg

When that book hit the newwstands, it must have been mint. Let's not think of what it is today. Instead, let's think of what was.

S

You bought the art?!? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

I just won my grail 5 seconds ago. I bid on this copy on eBay and my $525 bid got beaten by a last second snipe. Then I see this one, in half a grade better, and end up snagging it for $150 less!

Happy dance! yay.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

http://comiclink.com/./auctions/item.asp...5&id=664515

I was the one you outbid in the last two seconds.....because of you I had to "settle" for a Young Allies 18 in CGC 5.0.......sniff...sniff...don't know if I can go on.....

Scott

and this damn snowstorm delayed FedEx 1 to 2 days. Curse you mother nature! frustrated.gif

Not sure what your grail book might be but would like to take this opportunity to announce that we are offering an unopened case of NM Sensation Comics #92s. They are being sold for $20 per pound.

S

$18 shipped. sumo.gif

How many pounds you taking?

S

Let's start with one pound and see how it goes. Want to make sure the page quality is there.

Cheap @%#$)$@#%^$!

sign-funnypost.gif

Is that how you price your books? "Imagine that it's a 9.6". 27_laughing.gif

Just kidding Stephen - I'm a loyal customer. thumbsup2.gif

A NEW GRADE --- WM - Wasmint.

S

Why not? You invented the grading scale. It only seems right that you should be entitled to add to it.

Wife called. The package has arrived. yay.gif

By the way Stephen.

If you discovered a box of Senation Comics 92 then I would like to return this copy and purchase that whole box. With the remaining balance, I would like an instore credit. insane.gif

Not sure what your grail book might be but would like to take this opportunity to announce that we are offering an unopened case of NM Sensation Comics #92s. They are being sold for $20 per pound.

S

$18 shipped. sumo.gif

How many pounds you taking?

S

Let's start with one pound and see how it goes. Want to make sure the page quality is there.

Cheap @%#$)$@#%^$!

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hard to argue. confused-smiley-013.gif

After several years of looking I have finally tracked down my grail. To some of you an Action 1 or a Detective 27 may be your grail. To me it was a random issue from Sensation Comics. It’s not even a key issue but it’s my grail. It’s my grail because the cover puts Wonder Woman, in what I believe, her best cover from the Golden age.

To get started on my quest we go back a few years. I was in the hunt for Adams Batmans (like everyone else) and I ran into Wonder Woman 199 and 200 in the LCS. Those covers rocked. It was then that I decided to put together a Wonder Woman run. I quickly fell in love with the covers from issue 180 and up. I picked up a copy here and there but it was slow going. I was keeping my grade standards above NM-. After acquiring a few nice copies (from forum member Dr. Banner) it hit me. I need to “spice” up my Wonder Woman collection with some golden-age.

One evening I pulled out my Gerber photo guide and started to make a want list. I checked a few books here and there but nothing really caught my eye as a must have book. To be honest, the early cover art from Wonder Woman done by Harry G. Peter was somewhat disappointing. Some people may like the early art but I found it to be too goofy and the characters drawn “too rounded”. The art, to me at least, looks much better past issue 30.

Here are some examples…

th_ww27.jpgth_ww15.jpg

I then went and looked at Sensation Comics. The earlier covers were okay with a few nice standouts here and there but nothing caught my eye. Don’t get me wrong, some of the covers were quite nice but I wanted to put together a consecutive run. I then made my way to the back third of Sensation Comics. WOW….the cover art (for me at least) picked up some serious steam. I loved them as much as the early 70’s Wonder Woman covers. I found my run…Sensation Comics 80-106.

Here are some examples of the not so good Sensation Covers from the middle of the run.……I always see these 2 copies for sale.frustrated.gif

th_se69.jpgth_se61.jpg

The art in Wonder Woman and Sensation got a face lift in late 1948. Wonder Woman seemed to be more defined and appealing. She looked less "rounded" and more attractive.

Examples from the post 80 run I'm working on. These are my copies.

th_Sensation105front.jpgth_SensationComics104.jpgth_senstion101TED.jpg

So I now had my new want list in hand (along with my DC horror) and made some calls. I then made more calls and more calls. I came up empty handed. I could not find a single book from that run. You know if you call Metro and they are out, its going to be tough. Well they were out of the whole damn run. Not a single book above vg at the time. They did have one vg of issue 81 but I passed. I was sticking to 5.0 or better. However, I could find any issue before 77 but that’s not what I wanted. After issue 77 the supply runs dry of these books.

Although disappointed I still looked at that beautiful Sensation run on dcindexes.com. Looking over the run in a little more detail I see Sensation Comics 92 stick out at me. I couldn’t take my eyes away. The image sports Wonder Woman in space holding the Weights of Justice. In the Weights of Justice the little pebble weighs more than Earth. The cover just called out to me. I had to have it. I also have a soft spot for DC black goldenage covers. The superheros just "POP" off those black covers.

I have spent the last 2 years looking for this book. I can count the number of times I have seen it for sale. ONCE. That one time was on EBay last year. The copy was a POS and I passed. I also called a number of dealers on a monthly basis trying to track down this book. I asked forumites going to cons to look for me. Apparently most of them forgot that this was my grail. The fact is, I rarely see any issue from 80-106 in nice shape. A few issue I have yet to see for sale as of this writing and its been 2 years.

Fast forward to this weekend…..after the virtual con I check out the listing of CGC books Metro just acquired. There were a lot of nice books in there. Then I see it…..

SENSATION COMICS -------------------------------------------------------

ISSUE GRADE

48 NM-

(CGC ow/white pgs)

48 G

(CGC ow/white pgs)

92 FN

(CGC off white pgs; RARE)

I could not believe it. I quickly sent a PM and left a message at their office. I then sent an email to orders@metropoliscomics.com. The whole time I’m thought to myself that the thread has been up since Friday and somebody already snatched it before me. Monday could not come fast enough. I called first thing Monday and Frank put the book through to fast pricing. YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!! The credit card was itching to be used to confirm the sale.

Then I get a PM from Stephen,

"Frank will contact you today with the info on the book."

S

Well I’m happy to report that I have acquired the book. Take a gander of that sweet book below. This to me is the best Wonder woman cover from the Goldenage and a *spoon* to find. I feel honored to have it. Thanks for bringing it to market Metro.

I HAVE ACQUIRED MY GRAIL AND I AM COMPLETE.

SensationComics92cgc6-1.jpg

SensationComics92cgc6.jpg

What a beautiful book Buck. You know I think you have great taste in going after this little subset of the Wonder Woman mythos! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

hey, top census! Some of those AA DC books are just impossible. glad to see you grabbed yourself a nice, clean copy of your grail!

you realise of course, that they're going to come out of the woodwork now that you found one, don't you? poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That's a nice looking fine! What's wrong with it? The bottom edge?

The bottom edge is the downfall

The back cover looks 8.0 and it has a sweet spine front and back. cloud9.gif

Great eye appeal. You could easily have gotten hosed in that department with a black cover golden age book, but it looks great. Congrats.