• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8 or Bust?

45 posts in this topic

Put it in perspective though. You dont have 20-30 years of collectors tearing them up for the most part. This section of books many have been very well kept increasing competition. Some dealers will even gurantee you one if you pay enough. I have no desire for 9.8s in modern just because they wont hold their intrinisic value due to once our generation disappears no one will be looking for them. Even with print runs lower your modern comic today or even 10 years ago was much better kept then one of 30 years ago.

The title of the thread sums up everything nicely. If you don't get a CGC 9.8 for a modern comic book then there is no point grading it.

I was looking at my comics the other day and realized that most of my moderns comics I will be unable to grade because it would get a CGC 9.6. I never thought I would say that a few years ago!!! So, in a couple of months or the next VCC I will be selling off all my moderns. Most if not all will be a 9.6 grade!!!

Put it in perspective though. You dont have 20-30 years of collectors tearing them up for the most part. This section of books many have been very well kept increasing competition. Some dealers will even gurantee you one if you pay enough. I have no desire for 9.8s in modern just because they wont hold their intrinisic value due to once our generation disappears no one will be looking for them. Even with print runs lower your modern comic today or even 10 years ago was much better kept then one of 30 years ago.

well said, I agree 100%... and to reforce, I just seen a ASM #308 9.8 sell for $210.00 on ebay, checked the CGC census and which has 91 registered between 9.6 & 9.8....so yes, there are some novice running around paying big bucks thinking there slabbed whatever high grades are going to be worth substantial

amounts of money down the road. As a whole, I don't believe this will hurt the

collection market, just the price paid for high grade non key modern issues.

that seems to be the direction we are heading for Moderns.

If that means the 1980s and early 1990s books in CGC 9.6 are going to be extremely cheap, then I can't wait! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have some CGC 9.8s that look more like 9.4s, but I also have some 9.6s that look better than my 9.8s.

I'd be happy to buy more of those 9.6s for pennies. thumbsup2.gif

The title of the thread sums up everything nicely. If you don't get a CGC 9.8 for a modern comic book then there is no point grading it.

I was looking at my comics the other day and realized that most of my moderns comics I will be unable to grade because it would get a CGC 9.6. I never thought I would say that a few years ago!!! So, in a couple of months or the next VCC I will be selling off all my moderns. Most if not all will be a 9.6 grade!!!

Some might have mistaken my post!! If you are talking about moderns then I am assuming anything from 1996 - 2007. Anything older than 1996 is not a problem getting a 9.6 or lower on some books!! Next time I will be more clear!!

However, I do agree if you want to sell a modern in 9.6 grade or lower get it signed!!! (Signature Series)

Why is anyone replying to any of his posts?

Best question I've heard tonight!!!!

With any luck his posting days will soon be over. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Who are you talking about? I am a little confused?!! confused-smiley-013.gif

Lastyle, the guy who started this thread. He's sent some inappropriate emails to other members.

As far as moderns go, some of the scarce variants are still valuable in 9.6.