• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8 or Bust?

45 posts in this topic

God I'm glad you guys are around. I posted a similar thing and got smacked around by folks for it. Maybe I was being a little rough myself, but I agree 100% with you folks.

There are TONS of these books around already and really lots of dealers holding them, collectors holding them, etc all waiting for the prices to go up, thinking that they don't want to sell too soon etc. Very similar to what used to happen in the 1990's and to some extent today (but maybe on a horrible scale). Think: Batman a Death in the Family 4 which I used to get $80 for or Death of Superman stuff. Many people got taken on that stuff and this isn't going to be so different. I know print runs are smaller, but those print runs are 100% sold books, (sold to either dealers or customers). No put backs or returns. My local dealer orders many extra copies so that he can get the limited covers to customers, so he has BOXES of unsold stuff, which he picks through and sends the nice ones to CGC and sells the high grades off. Too much out there to last.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but paper quality on a lot of these new books is better. Less shipping dammage, etc. And these are, for the most part, spending no time on a spinner rack like the books in the 70's and 80's.

And (maybe) my last word on this: It is HARD to get an older book to rate a 9.6 to 9.8 and so much eaiser to get a newer one to. Better paper, but mostly it's because people can send them right away "hot off the press" so to speak. These new books don't spend 15 years in someones back room collecting fingerprints and dust, and generally have not been read. So 9.8 min for new books? I think that's fair. Frankly a quick look at Ebay will tell you that the sales drop off quickly below this and looking at the CGC census will tell you there is a log jam at the top for any of these modern books.

I would be curious to know if CGC will follow in the path of PCGS in that as time went on you could see the grading slip a bit so that older holders are looked for now since collectors know that a coin from an older holder if cracked and resubmitted will get a higher grade.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but paper quality on a lot of these new books is better. Less shipping dammage, etc. And these are, for the most part, spending no time on a spinner rack like the books in the 70's and 80's.

Wouldn't know this, with all the complaining about dinged new books, etc. on these boards... yeahok.gif

Wouldn't know this, with all the complaining about dinged new books, etc. on these boards... yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif

Damn those dinged books!!! But then again for me, dinged books are a greater hazard for where i am (damn you customs agents and your lack of respect for imported comics 893censored-thumb.gif )