• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this Leading Comics (Rockford) Worked On?

83 posts in this topic

If it has the same serial number, that would mean the label was submitted along with the book, so it wasn't a resub, but a cracked case.

Good catch, Dan. It does indeed look like the same serial #.

Good catch Dan? lol the original post said "However, it still bears the same serial #". crazy.gifpoke2.gif

Guess I'm just surprised that Mark had to ask if the book had been worked on if he knew the serial number hadn't changed.

Why? That meant nothing to me. CGC has openly stated they want people to resubmit their books and have made changes to grades and PQ. If someone sent in the old label I have no reason to believe they might not keep that old number. Not as if CGC's policies on resubmissions are posted anywhere for me to review.

In any event, the basis for my question was clearly the difference of quality/vibrantness in the images. I made no suppositions as to why that might be other than to point that out and ask questions to solicit opinions.

I'm just saying, I'm surprised you're not aware of when CGC gives a new serial # and when they don't. Regardless of whether it's posted somewhere or not, I'm surprised you don't know.

Here's what bothers me about the title of this thread. Someone owns that book. The title of the thread calls into question whether the book has been worked on. If the basis of your question is the quality/brightness of the images, why not make that your title? I'm sure the book's new owner would appreciate it.

Sorry Jeff, but I am with Mark on this one. By which I mean to say that I am not the least bit surprised that he didn't know that.

Geez Scott, you're slowing down. What took you so long to post your attacking non-substantive comment about me? makepoint.gif C'mon, what else better would you have to do in your life?

By the way, of course I hail.gif to your expertise on all that is, could be and should be comics. You are DA man, and the one we should all worship. yeahok.gif

What can I say? I guess that unlike you, I am more inclined to say things to people to their faces, rather than behind their backs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rigggght, that is really an issue with me. I never say things publicly. I'm shy. You obviously don't know me very well then. I'm not aware of saying anything behind anyone's back that I would not or have not said publicly.

Why don't you be more specific instead of your vague accusation? Put your money where your mouth is (shouldn't be too difficult for you).

Nah, people know who you are and how you act when you think no one else is listening (or when you assume the person you're saying it to won't repeat it to the person you're badmouthing). There's no need for me to muddy up the GA boards with a flame war with you on this one.

Nah, people know who you are and how you act when you think no one else is listening (or when you assume the person you're saying it to won't repeat it to the person you're badmouthing). There's no need for me to muddy up the GA boards with a flame war with you on this one.

Right. Speak loud to impress everyone, then crawl away Scott. Typical. thumbsup2.gif

While you're waiting, I've got one:

A sad-faced Scotsman is sitting at a bar, drinking with a friend. The Scotsman takes a drink, shakes his head, and says, "Hey there laddie, do yeh see that barn outside? I built it. Top to bottom, side to side, every timber, every nail. But they don't call me 'MacLean the Barn Builder,' do they?"

"No, they don't," replied his friend.

The Scotsman takes another drink, shakes his head, turns to his friend, and says, "Hey there laddie, do yeh see that ship there out in the harbor? I built it. Top to bottom, side to side, every timber, every nail. But they don't call me 'MacLean the Ship Builder,' do they?"

"No, they don't," his friend replied.

The Scotsman drinks again, shakes his head, and says to his friend, "Hey there laddie, do yeh see this bar right here? I built it. Top to bottom, side to side, every timber, every nail. But they don't call me 'MacLean the Bar Builder,' do they?"

"No, they don't," his friend replied.

"But yeh f#ck ONE goat...."

Hey Buttock, have you heard this one?

---------------

Guy goes to the doctor. Doctor says: "I have bad news. You got a tapeworm."

Guy says: "what should I do?"

Doc says: "come back next week, bring two apples and cookie."

Guy comes back to the office the next week. Doc takes the two apples and cookies, says "Turn around and bend over" and shoves the two apples and a cookie up the guy's butt.

"Come back next week," he says, "and bring two apples and a cookie."

This goes on for months. Finally the guy goes, "Look, Doc, I appreciate your trying to help me and all, but this two apples and a cookie thing is driving me crazy. When's it going to end?"

The Doc looks at him and goes: "All right. It's probably been long enough. Come back next week with two apples and a hammer."

"WHAT?!?"

"Don't worry, just bring it in. You'll be fine."

So the guy comes back the next week with the two apples and a hammer. Doc takes the hammer in one hand and then bends the guy over and shoves the apples up the guy's butt.

Then he waits.

and waits.

and finally, the tapeworm sticks its head out of the guy's butt and goes

"HEY! WHERE'S MY COOKIE!?!"

WHAM!

yay.gif

---------------

Guy comes back to the office the next week. Doc takes the two apples and cookies, says "Turn around and bend over" and shoves the two apples and a cookie up the guy's butt.

This goes on for months. Finally the guy goes, "Look, Doc, I appreciate your trying to help me and all, but this two apples and a cookie thing is driving me crazy. When's it going to end?"

The Doc looks at him and goes: "All right. It's probably been long enough. Come back next week with two apples and a hammer."

"WHAT?!?"

So the guy comes back the next week with the two apples and a hammer. Doc takes the hammer in one hand and then bends the guy over and shoves the apples up the guy's butt.

Then he waits.

and waits.

WHAM!

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif

Reminds me of the time we thought we found a worm in a lady's colon only to end up being a Ramen noodle. foreheadslap.gif

---------------

"WHAT?!?"

Then he waits.

and waits.

WHAM!

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif

Reminds me of the time we thought we found a worm in a lady's colon only to end up being a Ramen noodle. foreheadslap.gif

Look at the bright side -- you saved a TON of apples. headbang.gif

---------------

"WHAT?!?"

Then he waits.

and waits.

WHAM!

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif

The next time I see Scott, I'm going to say "HEY, WHERE'S MY COOKIE!"

I just noticed that the Rockford CGC 9.0 copy of Leading Comics #1, which I used to own, was in today's Hake's auction.

It originally sold in an old CGC label (#0055934006) on October 19, 2003 via Heritage for $3,680.

13111007030o.jpg

I purchased it, as I recall, sometime in 2004 in a private transaction.

I then sold it, still in the old label, via Heritage in my one time consignment on January 21, 2006, for $5,750.

819013013o.jpg

Just one year later whomever purchased it already had flipped it or was trying to flip it, but NOW it is in a new label. However, it still bears the same serial #.

001_big.jpg

The PQ of Cream to OW never changed.

It looks like there might have been an attempt to remove some of the minute staining on the front cover, but that could also be simply due to the different scan quality. It could have been a straight resubmit. Of course, it could also be that the slab was cracked and had to be replaced.

Does anyone else have a thought on this?

BTW, the ending online bid for this book via Hakes was $550!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Unbelievable, my former book is now for sale AGAIN in the upcoming Heritage auction. 893whatthe.gif

Leading Comics #1 CGC 9.0 Rockford Copy For Sale AGAIN!

I really hold a different opinion from Heritage as to the frequency of auctioning off the same book. I understand it is their business practice, and obviously they must believe it works for them, and so be it, but I personally do not view it as helpful to the hobby. I really wish I knew who the current owner is. I would love to know if it is a dealer or collector.

BTW, I must commend Heritage on their new practice of listing prior Heritage sales of the same book in that grade. thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking of bidding on it, 'til I found out there might be a question as to whether it had been worked on.

I was thinking of bidding on it, 'til I found out there might be a question as to whether it had been worked on.

Richard, I think the general consenus at this stage was that the "modification" was more likely a scanning issue. There might have been an attempt to resub for a higher grade, but then again it could be that the slab cracked and was merely replaced. We won't know for sure until the owner is identified and asked.

I would be curious as to your opinion on the larger issue that I think the latest auction brings back to the forefront, and that is the frequency in which some books continually seem to be placed back up for auction, particularly in the same auction house. I simply do not see how this is beneficial to the industry. I can expand upon this if necessary, though I imagine you are aware of the debate to which I refer.

Richard, I think the general consenus at this stage was that the "modification" was more likely a scanning issue. There might have been an attempt to resub for a higher grade, but then again it could be that the slab cracked and was merely replaced. We won't know for sure until the owner is identified and asked.

I would be curious as to your opinion on the larger issue that I think the latest auction brings back to the forefront, and that is the frequency in which some books continually seem to be placed back up for auction, particularly in the same auction house. I simply do not see how this is beneficial to the industry. I can expand upon this if necessary, though I imagine you are aware of the debate to which I refer.

Seems the main issue of this thread is the fact that someone questioned the background of the comic in the subject line. By doing so, that person may in fact have led this book to find its way back onto the market. At the least, by questioning its background in this type of forum he has tainted the folks reading it. I don't believe there was ever a consensus as to what happened.

Seems the main issue of this thread is the fact that someone questioned the background of the comic in the subject line. By doing so, that person may in fact have led this book to find its way back onto the market. At the least, by questioning its background in this type of forum he has tainted the folks reading it. I don't believe there was ever a consensus as to what happened.

I don't recall any either, with several folks (me included) noting that scanner differences can easily account for the different images on the book.

I would go a step further and say the title of this thread is akin to me asking everyone on the boards if someone (fill in a name) has stopped beating their kids yet.

I would go a step further and say the title of this thread is akin to me asking everyone on the boards if someone (fill in a name) has stopped beating their kids yet.

Exactly my point earlier in the thread, but Mark didn't seem interested in editing the thread's title. foreheadslap.gif

BTW, I think one of the reasons a moderate or big-ticket item makes a 2nd, 3rd or 4th appearance in Heritage auctions is because Heritage sends those nifty coupons for half-off listing fees to winning bidders in case they want to sell the book through Heritage in the future. Seems like smart marketing to me.

I'm sorry guys but obviously I am simply not as sensitive as some of you seem to be, for your own particular reasons, with respect to these types of matters.

Richard, that is a poor example in my opinion. My title above is not leading (no pun intended) at all. It is a simple question with no undertone. I presented the known facts. People responded with their conjectured answers. Your example about the stopping of beating one's wife, no matter what the answer would be (as we all know), insinuates a history of the action.

And unless you know something that none of us know, I know of no basis for you to conclude that somehow this thread led to the book being re-offered or tainted. It is patently absurd, as far as I am concerned, that everytime someone questions the background/history of a book that somehow this automatically equates to "tainting".

Now, I fully understand that there are some dealers who would prefer no one ever do any such thing for any book, but sorry to say those days are over my friend. hi.gif

BTW, I think one of the reasons a moderate or big-ticket item makes a 2nd, 3rd or 4th appearance in Heritage auctions is because Heritage sends those nifty coupons for half-off listing fees to winning bidders in case they want to sell the book through Heritage in the future. Seems like smart marketing to me.

I think with Heritage that is certainly one reason. But there are so many reasons that a book can come back out on the market. People can essentially take loans through Heritage to buy books or get advances against new purchases with consignments. Sometimes these are paid back with other books (or the same book!). Books are bought from one auction house by another to beef up a catalogue. Collector/investors who have moved in and out of the market. And all it takes is a couple of times for a book to be for sale and with the transparency of the marketplace people start to assume it is an orphan. There are deals to be had with these books, and there are folks making nice long term investments. I mean, the guy who bought the Mile High National 7 this last time got a deal. And you know we won't see it for sale for a while. There are more than a few people who wished they had bid.