• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do? Help a guy out...

29 posts in this topic

What would you do?

I bought a book that usually sells for multiples of guide (even though a graded one just sold on eBay for a small multiple). It's a book I want, a book I need to fulfill collection goals, and it's a scarce enough book that I had to jump when I got the chance. I paid over a grand and the book shipped.

However, when I opened the package I saw immediately that it appears the cover is not attached at the staple. I had specifically asked the retailer about this exact possibility and he said "it's delicate but attached." Yet clearly it isn't, but I fear handling the book for this very reason (or I'd provide scans). I still want the book but it's more than I would have paid with a detached cover. However, the cover has TERRIFIC eye appeal much better than the one that was graded blue 4.5.

Should I:

a) Submit to CGC anyway. To me the holder first and foremost will provide a frame and some protection for the book. Plus if somehow I get a copy in better grade, I can resell this one easier than if it was raw. But with a cover possibly off the grade will be what? 2.5? 2.0? Qualified (shudder)? It was sold to me as a VG+ (and if the cover was attached it would be that or better!).

b) Have the book restored by someone, say a certain board member, a path of no return but one that wouldn't bother me. It'd go to apparent 6.0 or better easily with minimal work (spine work, reinforcement, tiny tear seal, maybe a dab of CT while they were there). I don't even know how much that would cost or what would happen to the book's value.

c) Return the book to the dealer no questions asked. Be a cool guy and compensate him for his shipping which was thrown in.

I want this comic and need this comic. But I can't figure out what to do. frustrated.gif

Oh, and while the topic is here is the Qualified label a GLOD? Worse than PLOD?

I would try to negotiate a partial refund from the seller, and try to keep it for less than you'd paid for. I definitely would not restore it for just a detached cover.

But if it gets to the point where the deal is leaving a bad taste in your mouth, just return it.

re: CGC, I don't collect slabbed books, so I have no opinion on that...

I would try to negotiate a partial refund from the seller, and try to keep it for less than you'd paid for. I definitely would not restore it for just a detached cover.

But if it gets to the point where the deal is leaving a bad taste in your mouth, just return it.

I agree. thumbsup2.gif

The book will still be a blue label if its low grade as you can see with this copy.

MF542.jpg

As mentioned already by a few wise old members here if you are happy with the book, perhaps negotiate a partial refund. However, if your not totally happy with it then be prepared to suggest to the seller that you will return it if you guys cannot work something out.

a) Submit to CGC anyway. To me the holder first and foremost will provide a frame and some protection for the book. Plus if somehow I get a copy in better grade, I can resell this one easier than if it was raw. But with a cover possibly off the grade will be what? 2.5? 2.0? Qualified (shudder)? It was sold to me as a VG+ (and if the cover was attached it would be that or better!).

A book with a detached cover can get at least a 4.0 from CGC...I have one, it might even be a 4.5. With the cover attached, it would have graded several steps higher. It's not a real high grade book that was totally hammered for the detached cover, it's more like a solid mid-grade book that lost like maybe 2 grade points. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for your help guys!

I sent a rambly email to the seller yesterday and he took umbrage to my perceived attempt to get him to steeply discount the book which would have caused him to take a loss on it. He urged me to return it. I don't want to return it I'm just on the fence about having to pay about $200 more than I would have had I known the cover was detached at the single staple.

I was simply trying to figure out how to get him to refund a piece of the money based on the grade it comes back in. If it came back in 3.0 even I'd be fine with what I paid. If it comes back 2.0, refund $200, 2.5 refund $100, 3.0 don't bother, 4.0 I'm ecstatic. He thought I wanted him to reduce the price by 1/3 to 1/2!

I don't know. I love this comic, it's a classic cover (on one of the photo journals), and it would be very hard to part with. I feel disappointed not ripped off like he somehow upsold me into getting the six-CD changer and special coating for the paint when all I wanted was a car to get to work. I still would have bought the car but just not for that much.

Gah. Buyer beware I guess.

EDIT: How about I scan it out of the mylar?

th_terrific4.jpg

I know I'm going to keep it. I'm just sure of it. And that takes away any negotiating point I have...

frustrated.gif

Tough call. I'd probably submit it to CGC, and since its a book you want and is rare, keep it as a placeholder and keep looking for a better copy. I think most of us have books in our collection that gnaw at us based on what we paid and condition of book when we received it or took it out of mylar; I know I do.

Show us a scan, I'd like to contribute my opinion but first I'd like to see what I am looking at. Also, you have stated you really want the book, how long have you been looking? Do you think or have you seen one in similar condition in last 1yr for the same price? I would factor all of the above into my final decision. I don't use the price guide except for a base guide line for my GA collection. I base my purchases on how bad I want the book, how hard to find, have better copies been offered in my time line for buying the book, and percieved grade to me. I would look at a book like Surfer's more fun and say, yes detatched cover and centerfold, but otherwise very clean and well presented. I feel that book was undergraded, both CGC and PGX will give a VG 4.0 to a detatched cover, depending on final look of book. It is a gamble but I would say worhwhile if it is a strong VG+ otherwise of coming back a 3.0 to 4.0! My experience with grading detatched covers has been split. I have a Cap 19 which looks FN-, but came back a 4.0 with cover being detatched. I also have a Cap, I think number 44 which looks VG came back a 2.0 due to detatched cover. So in short if you want it, and it looks presentable, I would keep it, ask yourself what the grade is to you. If you think VG 4.0, then you should be happy no matter what CGC says.

Scanned.

th_terrific4.jpg

A very cool book. Personally I don't think the book would benefit from being CGC graded, as the technical grade would have a negative stigma, and the book presents rather well. Since you love the book and want to keep it, try to negotiate a partial refund based on the separated cover issue. That's where the discrepancy is. If you can get enough of a refund to meet your concerns, that book looks like a keeper to me.

A very cool book. Personally I don't think the book would benefit from being CGC graded, as the technical grade would have a negative stigma, and the book presents rather well. Since you love the book and want to keep it, try to negotiate a partial refund based on the separated cover issue. That's where the discrepancy is. If you can get enough of a refund to meet your concerns, that book looks like a keeper to me.
Even a 2.5 would be worth it because the holder works as a frame for me.

100% send it back. I think it is always going to bug you if you keep it and ruin your enjoyment of a book you really like. You're better off in the long run. Just think how much better you will feel when you pay a good price for a book with an attached cover. Do yourself a favor and send it back...his description was an obvious attempt to screw you.

100% send it back. I think it is always going to bug you if you keep it and ruin your enjoyment of a book you really like.
You think so? One just sold blue 4.5 on eBay for $1400. This was my fall back after missing out on that one. The eBay book was over graded and had a 1/8 inch tall 1 inch long chip out of the cover.

This cover is nice. The book is much brighter than my ancient HP 2600 C can do justice to. It's just the freaking popped staple. I would have paid $900 no questions asked. But what are the chances I'll find an unrestored copy in the next two years? Five? I've been looking since I started collecting Gerber cover covers two years ago.

See, here is the thing, someone is going to buy a book from me for $1000+ They get a detailed account of every problem. Like "well it's not off yet but chances are the next time you open the cover it will fall off". Anything else is just a way of messing with someone. Bottom line for me is you're not happy with it, so I would send it back and try again. A bit of a refund would be the best option, but it seems he won't do that.

That book pops up every now and then - and the guide is high enough already that it doesn't always sell above guide, or even for full guide. It's an incredible cover, and based on the scan I'd call your copy a 3.0 with the detached cover.

Send it back if you are unhappy with the price for a 3.0 copy, especially if you are bothered by detached covers. Another copy will come along.