• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was "The Greatest Golden Age Artist" in comics?

169 posts in this topic

So out of the 200 covers I picked as the best from GERBERS Vol. 1 and 2, more than half belong to 3 artists. I picked the covers soley on my own eye appeal and how much they pulled me in for a closer look. Those three artist are:

Schomburg

L.B. Cole

Matt Baker

Of course the usuall bunch of artist had many representations, but I was suprised at what my eye pick out.

I would have said my top 3 artist were:

Schomburg

Simon&Kirby

Shores

Based on what I own more than anything. Its amazing to me that although I love Baker, and L.B. Cole, I would have never guessed I would pick so many of their covers. I would have thought Schomburg would have been strong, and I was right, but I really thought I would have been very even between many others such as..

Baker

Everett

Fieldstein

L.B.Cole

S&K

Shores

Raboy

Beck

Fessel

Frazzeta

Avision

Orlando

Williamson

Just name a few.

So out of the 200 covers I picked as the best from GERBERS Vol. 1 and 2, more than half belong to 3 artists. I picked the covers soley on my own eye appeal and how much they pulled me in for a closer look. Those three artist are:

Schomburg

L.B. Cole

Matt Baker

Of course the usuall bunch of artist had many representations, but I was suprised at what my eye pick out.

Schomburg

Simon&Kirby

Shores

Based on what I own more than anything. Its amazing to me that although I love Baker, and L.B. Cole, I would have never guessed I would pick so many of their covers. I would have thought Schomburg would have been strong, and I was right, but I really thought I would have been very even between many others such as......

(random thoughts)

I wonder whether it's largely the effect of looking at postage-stamp images.

Reduced L B Cole comes through strongly because of the (usually) garish coloring and simple figures. Ditto Schomburg's "Xela" airbrushed covers (even though the colors are more subdued) and Baker's girly covers -- always a dominant, central figure. It seems like M Whitman covers would catch your eye in the same way, but you don't even list him. I'm surprised that Schomburg's Timely covers look good to you reduced -- they're so busy that it can be hard to tell what's going on even full-sized!

Jack

Schomburg

L.B. Cole

Matt Baker

Schomburg

Simon&Kirby

Shores

Based on what I own more than anything. Its amazing to me that although I love Baker, and L.B. Cole, I would have never guessed I would pick so many of their covers. I would have thought Schomburg would have been strong, and I was right, but I really thought I would have been very even between many others such as..

Baker

Everett

Fieldstein

L.B.Cole

S&K

Shores

Raboy

Beck

Fessel

Frazzeta

Avision

Orlando

Williamson

Just name a few.

Interesting that not a single pre-robin detective cover caught your eye

Schomburg

L.B. Cole

Matt Baker

Schomburg

Simon&Kirby

Shores

Based on what I own more than anything. Its amazing to me that although I love Baker, and L.B. Cole, I would have never guessed I would pick so many of their covers. I would have thought Schomburg would have been strong, and I was right, but I really thought I would have been very even between many others such as......

(random thoughts)

Reduced L B Cole comes through strongly because of the (usually) garish coloring and simple figures. Ditto Schomburg's "Xela" airbrushed covers (even though the colors are more subdued) and Baker's girly covers -- always a dominant, central figure. It seems like M Whitman covers would catch your eye in the same way, but you don't even list him. I'm surprised that Schomburg's Timely covers look good to you reduced -- they're so busy that it can be hard to tell what's going on even full-sized!

Jack

My list of favorites has been greatly influenced by actually seeing books in person. There's a number of books that looked great tiny but in person revealed very annoying flaws in the art. The reverse is also true. Size does matter after all. tongue.gif

Schomburg

L.B. Cole

Matt Baker

Schomburg

Simon&Kirby

Shores

(random thoughts)

Jack

My list of favorites has been greatly influenced by actually seeing books in person. There's a number of books that looked great tiny but in person revealed very annoying flaws in the art. The reverse is also true. Size does matter after all. tongue.gif

There is so much truth in that Adam! grin.gifcool.gif

I actuallly found the pictures of decent size to form an opinion, but like yourself seeing in person can change one's view either pro or con. I also have many Schomburg covers, and I am sure this had a taited effect on my list. In my humble opinion, it is just that quality which is specific to each person's eye. Meaning that while any impression, can and does have a different effect, it is still very much subjective. I have no doubt, that LB Cole's goulish, dark covers with bright colour had a tendency to draw my eye, and the busy multifacited art work of Schomburg covers facinates me. As to Baker, I have given this a little thought, and I believe that his talent was a realistic portrait of Hollywood circa 40's. I have always been facinated with old hollywood, and its cinimantic portrayal of the world, and Baker brings me to that world.

I am sure that in my 2hr study of the Gerber books, writing a list for gereral discussion and hoping to find other books which speak to me as a collector I missed many covers which either just didn't jump out, or needed to be seen in person. I have no doubt that this list would change everytime I would redue this. I think, that is the fun part, the hunt to find something new to you, and the way you look and feel about the art form.