• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was "The Greatest Golden Age Artist" in comics?

169 posts in this topic

Virgil Finlay only had work in one comic, Mystery in Space # 19

A total of 2 stories drawn for comics and several double-page spreads.

893whatthe.gif

I learn something everyday! Did I miss an issue outside of Mystery in Space # 19?

popcorn.gif

Yes.

Real Fact

I love Flessel's cover work for the early Adventure, More Fun & Detective comics.

I agree Creig Flessel's golden age work is absolutely amazing. L.B. Cole would be my other choice.

The only thing about Cole's work for me is that it's the use of color (albiet excellent use of color) seems to define his work, at least to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

His cover layouts were also incredible. I can't think of ANY other artist who was able to draw the eye as well as Cole did. I can just imagine little kids in the 40s and 50s gravitating towards his covers.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe that was his area of focus. Wally wood seemed, to me anyway, obssessed with circles. Everett with characters in water, ect. confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif

I learn something everyday! Did I miss an issue outside of Mystery in Space # 19?

popcorn.gif

Yes.

Real Fact

Which issue?

I love Flessel's cover work for the early Adventure, More Fun & Detective comics.

I agree Creig Flessel's golden age work is absolutely amazing. L.B. Cole would be my other choice.

The only thing about Cole's work for me is that it's the use of color (albiet excellent use of color) seems to define his work, at least to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

His cover layouts were also incredible. I can't think of ANY other artist who was able to draw the eye as well as Cole did. I can just imagine little kids in the 40s and 50s gravitating towards his covers.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe that was his area of focus. Wally wood seemed, to me anyway, obssessed with circles. Everett with characters in water, ect. confused-smiley-013.gif

If anyone is confussed by my statement about Wally Wood & circles, look at his work: he constantly uses circles on the space suits, the instruments, ect. The guy liked circles. makepoint.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif

popcorn.gif

Yes.

Real Fact

Which issue?

Issues. 4-8, IIRC. 8 is cover and story.

893whatthe.gif

popcorn.gif

Yes.

Real Fact

Which issue?

Issues. 4-8, IIRC. 8 is cover and story.

893applaud-thumb.gif

A new book on my list. thumbsup2.gif

hello all...

I love Flessel's work on the early action covers...but for me, Kane is my GA guru...was he the "greatest" technical artist of the GA, not sure I would say that, but he created the "greatest" GA art in his character (at least for me)...

rick

if I could only look at one artist's covers and no others, I would say Schomburg airbrush covers. They're just the most gorgeous things.

last year, I probably would have picked Fine, since he was clearly an exceptional artist, even though some of the musculature linework on some of his covers - particuarly Fantastic 3 (I'm sorry, but Samson's left arm just ain't right) - isn't to my liking. but Hit 5-7 are just stupid good, and his work on The Ray is great.

this year, jeez. so many great artists whose work i've only been partially exposed to; Kelly, Moldoff, Bailey, Cole...and then there are the old favourites; Williamson, Wood, Wolverton, Schomburg (even though he draws Cap's head rather bulletesque), Raboy, Flessel...And then you have guys like Frazetta, Winsor McKay, Alex Raymond, Hal Foster...

I guess I would have to say Walt Kelly. The guy did everything so dadgum well. Plus, his use of colour is just amazing

hello all...

I love Flessel's work on the early action covers...but for me, Kane is my GA guru...was he the "greatest" technical artist of the GA, not sure I would say that, but he created the "greatest" GA art in his character (at least for me)...

rick

I'm with Rick. Next to Kane for me it is Bill Everett.

hello all...

rick

yeah, but you and I are a couple of batman geeks headbang.gif...everett is a good choice, but I love the clean flessel covers, so he is my #2 smile.gif

rick

1. Wally Wood because he had greater comics output (EC, MAD mag) than #

2. Frazetta - sublime interior work on Personal Love # 32 even better than #

3. Hal Foster's Prince Valiant or Tarzan Single Series # 20

4. L. B. Cole for excellent covers like Mask #2 or #1

5. O'melia superb covers for Action # 2 and Adventure pre-hero

cloud9.gif

6. Lou Fine for outstanding interior and cover art (e.g. the Flame, Hit #5)

hello all...

rick

yeah, but you and I are a couple of batman geeks headbang.gif...everett is a good choice, but I love the clean flessel covers, so he is my #2 smile.gif

rick

Flessel in 3rd on my list! So we are right there again!

hello all...

rick

ok, so in rereading my post, I am an "*spoon*"....flessel early Tec covers are among my fav...I like Leo's early action covers too, but not nearly as much as CFlessel's tec work...

rick

hello all...

rick

rick

were we seperated at birth?...I mean, other than the fact that you are so much better looking than me, we are like twins!

rick

hello all...

rick

rick

were we seperated at birth?...I mean, other than the fact that you are so much better looking than me, we are like twins!

rick

Yep, you are the fairest of them all...... poke2.gif

hello all...

rick

rick

rick

blush.gif