• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And Yet another Hypothetical Moral Issue

25 posts in this topic

Ok...here's one that separates the alter boys from lunch money bullies...

You are a collector of high grade CGC books.

You have recently received back from CGC a 9.6 copy of a very valuable book....lets say Green Lantern #76.

You always sell off your lower grade books in order to finance future purchases,...and you own a copy of Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.4.

Since you just received the book back today,..the census does not reflect your shiny , bright GL #76 9.6..It shows the highest grade as 1 copy at 9.4(for arguments sake,..I know there are 5).

Question: When you list your add on E-bay...do you state that the copy you are selling is the highest graded copy according to the census?

J.D.

I would say that it was the highest graded copy by CGC and also state that it is a new grading so does not appear on the census but can be varified by number. Otherwise some people may think it is a bit fishy that you are selling a 9.6 when one doesnt exist! (even though us in the know would know)

If you know about the 9.6 then the answer is no... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it would be best to say that the 9.4 was the second highest until you recieved the 9.6 which is now the highest...and you own them both... 893applaud-thumb.gif

I would say that it was the highest graded copy by CGC and also state that it is a new grading so does not appear on the census but can be varified by number. Otherwise some people may think it is a bit fishy that you are selling a 9.6 when one doesnt exist! (even though us in the know would know)

Kev......I think you read the question wrong. You're to assume that you would be selling the 9.4 and keeping the 9.6.

Do you hype the 9.4 you're selling as the highest graded copy according to the census......or do you use full disclosure and tell bidders you have a 9.6 that you are keeping that doesn't show up in the census yet?

If it were me - and I knew I had the highest graded copy, but the census wasn't yet updated, I wouldn't do it.

Look at the pros and cons...

Pro:

You get a negligible 5% higher sale price(if that?)

Con:

You mislead your buyer. Whether the buyer ever knows you have the 9.6 or not, the fact of the matter is you did not represent your auction truthfully.

just me, but I wouldn't be able to do that..again not that I believe a statement "highest graded copy" would do much for the sale price - because if it is in the league of GL 76 - it's gonna go for serious bucks anyway that probably only real high end collectors would buy - and they are probably VERY aware of the CGC census and assume there are 9.6's out there anyway.

okay I'm rambling now...

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

You have recently received back from CGC a 9.6 copy of a very valuable book....lets say Green Lantern #76.

You always sell off your lower grade books in order to finance future purchases,...and you own a copy of Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.4.

Since you just received the book back today,..the census does not reflect your shiny , bright GL #76 9.6..It shows the highest grade as 1 copy at 9.4(for arguments sake,..I know there are 5).

Question: When you list your add on E-bay...do you state that the copy you are selling is the highest graded copy according to the census?

J.D.

Post it (the 9.4) as "highest graded copy on the CGC census as of 'current date'" and pray CGC doesn't update to reflect your 9.6 until after the sale/action has ended smile.gif

I used to refer to the census like that and figured, I might as well just give them a "real time" link to avoid all ambiguity. there's always a chance that a higher graded copy may be enroute from CGC to another seller.

If you were selling or even thinking of selling a GL 76 9.6 then all confusion would be erased by a scan, and then the potienal buyer could go to the census themselves and see that it's not listed, but could validate the grade with a simple phone call to CGC with the serial number. I would be 893censored-thumb.gif if there is a GL 76 9.6....since I am one of the five with a 9.4 and that would void out my "highest graded copy" along with the other four copies.....

Besides, a GL 76 9.4 doesn't need a "HIGHEST GRADED COPY" label to sell at top dollar.....that book has been selling around $1600-1900 range...so expect it to be in there somewhere....course, a 9.6 would be around $3500 ...??!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

J.D.

It's a dead issue as I have 2 9.9's 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously, You could just list it and not mention any census information at all, but I think I would state something like, "I've upgraded, so this one(9.4) can go."

IMHYWO.

Besides, a GL 76 9.4 doesn't need a "HIGHEST GRADED COPY" label to sell at top dollar.....that book has been selling around $1600-1900 range...so expect it to be in there somewhere....course, a 9.6 would be around $3500 ...??!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what he said acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree with Darth, I would say that as of this date, this is the highest graded copy by CGC. The link would be a nice touch. After all to maximize bids, you want to market your book so that it can achieve maximum dollars. Therefore, your book should appear, without deceiving the bidders, to be as unique as possible.

As long as you use the word CENSUS in your description.

You know it is not the highest graded copy.

But it is the highest graded copy in the CENSUS. And if the census gets up dated while you are selling the book, no problem. No one can fault you for stating the "truth" at the time.

Morals...Shmorals......If any of you had a 9.6 copy of that book......I'd drive to your house, kick you in the nuts, grab the book, and take off running......so it's a moot point anyway. 893naughty-thumb.gif

yeah! what he said 27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

Morals...Shmorals......If any of you had a 9.6 copy of that book......I'd drive to your house, kick you in the nuts, grab the book, and take off running......so it's a moot point anyway. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree with bug insane.gif

First I would kick my mother the the curb. Then I'd knock my grandma down and stop on her. After that I'd stab my best friend in the back. Then I'd offer the little old lady $100 for the entire golden age collection because they are "mostly trashy old comics".

What was the question?