• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting general info about Edgar Church...

173 posts in this topic

I was wasting time on ancestry.com and decided to look up Edgar Church. Here's what I came up with:

Edgar was born on November 28th, 1888, in Connecticut. He first married at the age of 24. He and his wife had a son, Richard, who was born in 1917.

In 1922, he married for the 2nd time. He and his new wife, Helen, had a little girl named Doris, born in 1923.

By 1930, now 42 years old, Edgar was working as a commercial artist in the telephone industry.

He died in May of 1978. He was 89 years old.

I've hard varying reports between 18,000 and 22,000.

Blame me for the bad 22000 number.

ancestry.com should update their biography with "The Greatest Comic Book Collector That Ever Was or Will Be!" not counting pulps and whatever else was laying around.

Mile High's Page

I'm surprised that there is no Wikipedia entry for Edgar Church.

ancestry.com should update their biography with "The Greatest Comic Book Collector That Ever Was or Will Be!" not counting pulps and whatever else was laying around.

Mile High's Page

Make one gossip.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Do it before Chuck does one.................... crazy.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Mile High's Page

Make one gossip.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Do it before Chuck does one.................... crazy.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And make sure and post back here when you are done so we can read and critique thumbsup2.gif

Jeff, thanks for the info on Edgar Church! Its a shame he never profited from his great collection! I am still stunned whenever I think about how cheaply his heirs sold his great collection! I sure wish we had pictures of exactly where he stored his great collection! Erik

Jeff, thanks for the info on Edgar Church! Its a shame he never profited from his great collection! I am still stunned whenever I think about how cheaply his heirs sold his great collection! I sure wish we had pictures of exactly where he stored his great collection! Erik

I heard or read, not sure which that the sum for the collection of approx. 18,000.00 was cover price of .10 each or 1800.00! Can you imagine! I guess Chuck can, even if that collection was held for 10 yrs before selling....WOW! Although I sure it did just fine when it was sold on the open market.

Chuck has written that he netted approx $2 million for the collection, but that he's actually made more off of the Mile High II warehouse purchase.

What exactlly is the Mile High 2 collection? I have seen it mentioned, but I really don't know anything about it. Also, I am a little supprised that the first collection actually got 2 mil., cheap by today's standards, but a lot for what 78-80? Today, good God, can't even imagine the amount that collection would bring!

I sure wish we had pictures of exactly where he stored his great collection! Erik

Erik;

I believe there's a picture of the exterior of the Church's house inside the Gerber Photo Journal. In addition, I believe there was a picture from a real estate listing that showed up on the boards here sometime last year.

I think theres some pics of the collection on Chucks website... in the area where he reports in weekly or monthly ... --- Joe

What I find interesting is that Edgar was well into his forties when comics came on the scene in the early 1930s.

Another interesting tidbit...after amassing the greatest collection of WW2 covers, right off the stands, Edgar's own son was drafted into the army in May of 1945.

I sure wish we had pictures of exactly where he stored his great collection! Erik

Erik;

I believe there's a picture of the exterior of the Church's house inside the Gerber Photo Journal. In addition, I believe there was a picture from a real estate listing that showed up on the boards here sometime last year.

Ghoulaid posted this pic he took in about 2002 I believe (?) -

561014-churchhouse.jpg