• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting general info about Edgar Church...

173 posts in this topic

Comic collectors would probably make a very interesting study for professionals. I was speaking to a long-time collector/dealer the other night, and we talked at length about a very well-known personality in the hobby whom we perceived as being pathological.

Also, it's been my professional experience that individuals who think someone is "out to get them" have a guilty conscience from their past misdeeds.

STEVE

Yes, reminds me of the IRS Collection and the employee who worked for the Colorado Department of Revenue (or some such government organization) who was eventually caught embezzling money to fund his comic collecting habit.

Wonder where he is now as he should have gotten out of jail by now, wouldn't you think?

Peter,

I showed your scan of New Adventure #18 to Creig Flessel this afternoon and his eyes lit up. He told me that he drew cover that because surfing was beginning to become popularized (and romanticized) on the mainland due to Duke Kahanamoku and Johnny Weissmuller. He said that years later, a comic collector who was also a surfer told him that he was pleased that Creig drew the kid in a correct, classic surfing pose. Creig kind of chuckled as if to say that he didn't realize he was doing it right; he just got lucky.

Lots of great stories like that today. I'm going to type up a long report on our visit with Creig Flessel this weekend. cloud9.gif

Great story Scott. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to your full report.

I guess when the heirs were trying to figure out how much to get for the collection, they thought that since Edgar paid 10 cents for each of the 18,000 comics originally that they were making a killing by asking for full price of what Edgar originally paid for the collection. The heirs must have known that there was an emerging market for comics since they contacted people like Rozanski. This wasn't the old days any longer when you only found old comics at garage sales or used book stores or at the barber shop, and they would usually be selling mostly in beat-up condition for 2 or 3 cents!

I wonder if Church had obsessive compulsive disorder?

The guy bought 18,000+ comic books religiously for a couple of decades, he never read the vast majority of them, and he kept buying them although they were taking up a huge amount of space in his home. I'd say it's very likely that he had OCD.

I showed your scan of New Adventure #18 to Creig Flessel this afternoon and his eyes lit up. He told me that he drew cover that because surfing was beginning to become popularized (and romanticized) on the mainland due to Duke Kahanamoku and Johnny Weissmuller. He said that years later, a comic collector who was also a surfer told him that he was pleased that Creig drew the kid in a correct, classic surfing pose. Creig kind of chuckled as if to say that he didn't realize he was doing it right; he just got lucky.

Lots of great stories like that today. I'm going to type up a long report on our visit with Creig Flessel this weekend. cloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif With pics? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Funny story there too. My wife dropped our digital camera and I hadn't replaced it yet. Kris forgot to bring his camera, so I thought I was going to be stuck with a cell phone cam low-res photo. So guess what happened? A reporter from the Marin Independent Journal (the local Marin County newspaper) and his photographer stopped by to interview Creig for an article while we were there. The photographer got a bunch of shots of us talking with Creig and having him sign some color printouts of Detective 18 and More Fun 16 that I made from scans I got from RHG. cloud9.gif

Do you know when the article is going to run? I just went to their website, but I didn't see it, and a search for "Flessel" turns up nothing. Maybe it will be in their Sunday edition.

I wonder if Church had obsessive compulsive disorder?

The guy bought 18,000+ comic books religiously for a couple of decades, he never read the vast majority of them, and he kept buying them although they were taking up a huge amount of space in his home.

I'd say it's very likely that he had OCD.

Lucky for us he did! cloud9.gif

Great story Scott, looking forward to the report. Hopefully you were able to ask if he kept a copy of each piece of work he did?

He has none of his original OA from the DC years. He donated a ton of his other, later work to the Ohio State University's Cartoon Research Library.

Great story Scott, looking forward to the report. Hopefully you were able to ask if he kept a copy of each piece of work he did?

He has none of his original OA from the DC years. He donated a ton of his other, later work to the Ohio State University's Cartoon Research Library.

Cool, at least this stuff wasn't lost over the years.

Yeah wouldn't that be cool if one of Edgar's heirs were alive and could tell us what motivated their papa to accumulate his incredible treasure! At least the collection fell into the hands of a 22 year old dealer instead of a wealthy collector who could have just hoarded away the collection for decades!

Funny story there too. My wife dropped our digital camera and I hadn't replaced it yet. Kris forgot to bring his camera, so I thought I was going to be stuck with a cell phone cam low-res photo. So guess what happened? A reporter from the Marin Independent Journal (the local Marin County newspaper) and his photographer stopped by to interview Creig for an article while we were there. The photographer got a bunch of shots of us talking with Creig and having him sign some color printouts of Detective 18 and More Fun 16 that I made from scans I got from RHG. cloud9.gif

So does he acknowledge that the 'tec 18 is his artwork? jb

Yes, absolutely he did, and his wife confirmed too that she remembered that cover well and remembered him doing it (they've been married since 1937). And he says that he signed the original artwork in the lower right corner but that the banner is covering it up.

Yes, absolutely he did, and his wife confirmed too that she remembered that cover well and remembered him doing it (they've been married since 1937). And he says that he signed the original artwork in the lower right corner but that the banner is covering it up.

Man, that is one couple with some serious longevity genes, and sharp memories to boot! hail.gif

Some have questioned if this was his art. Would not think he would not do his own recreations....but we collectors are a neurotic lot....

Here is what he did for me when i met him at San Diego Con....as you can see he added art work due to the banner....and being the 'humorist' he is be place my name and my law firm name in the drawing in very small print.....

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp...at=0&UCat=0

in the gallery i have his 'tec 13 and adventure recreation also...jon

So he's obviously thought about it many times and probably regretted selling the church copies many times if he's only realized "not that long ago" that he'd rather keep his stock...

Not surprising really, how could anyone not regret keeping more of that collection. But it was a vastly different time and 2mil in proceeds back in the late 70s ain't exactly bad. No one could have known what comic prices would do 25 years out. And he did get good prices for them (at the time). Just surprising he didn't keep more of the church copies for himself, but I guess as he was trying to grow his business it was probably the easiest way to get capital.

I don't know whether he regrets selling them or not. Chuck seems to be a merchant first, comic collector second (or third, after pottery). Ask any of the big dealers whether they regret selling their big score and they'll pretty much all tell you they're okay with it -- it comes with the territory.

We had this same discussion in one of the old threads. My conclusion was the same.... Chuck was a dealer first and foremost.

When I read Wimbledon Green, there was a an anecdote that I thought summed it up well.

1669063-WimbledonGreen_RonnyCox.JPG

1669063-WimbledonGreen_RonnyCox.JPG.5efb0ea682cbe6ccb7e14704a9ba8a7e.JPG

Nice page by Seth. Gonna have to get me a copy of that book.

So he's obviously thought about it many times and probably regretted selling the church copies many times if he's only realized "not that long ago" that he'd rather keep his stock...

Not surprising really, how could anyone not regret keeping more of that collection. But it was a vastly different time and 2mil in proceeds back in the late 70s ain't exactly bad. No one could have known what comic prices would do 25 years out. And he did get good prices for them (at the time). Just surprising he didn't keep more of the church copies for himself, but I guess as he was trying to grow his business it was probably the easiest way to get capital.

I don't know whether he regrets selling them or not. Chuck seems to be a merchant first, comic collector second (or third, after pottery). Ask any of the big dealers whether they regret selling their big score and they'll pretty much all tell you they're okay with it -- it comes with the territory.

We had this same discussion in one of the old threads. My conclusion was the same.... Chuck was a dealer first and foremost.

When I read Wimbledon Green, there was a an anecdote that I thought summed it up well.

1669063-WimbledonGreen_RonnyCox.JPG

Well I was once a "big" dealer, and I had a few scores. There were some I was thrilled to sell and rejoiced in the profit. But, there were plenty more I wish I could have kept, and still more I regretted selling. But it went with the territory.