• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this should prove interesting...asm #129 cgc 9.6!

17 posts in this topic

It guides for $260 in 9.4 and right out of the gate is 3x guide already at $760 with 6 days left. I dunno 10x guide 893whatthe.gif seems like an easy possibility. Any of the HG fiends track this sucker in 9.6?

You know I probably would have coughed up about $1000 for it about 3x guide and I consider myself a knowledgable collector, 893censored-thumb.gif speculators. I've looked at some of the feedback of the top bidders, its NOT comic book laden to say the least. grrrrr

Why is this a speculator only book ???? It hasn't seen signifcant growth over recent years (as compared to Hulk #181). If everybody is waiting for the movie to come out and then for the prices to decline (to $1000 for 9.6) then I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't know if it is a speculator book only....

But I will bet you the winning bidder is not a "collector". it could be - but for the money that will command - a collector, I think, would rather buy a really nice 9.2 or 9.4 for a fraction of the price - or if they're like me - a nice raw one for a fraction of the 9.2 or 9.4.

While there are some cgc 9.6 or better collectors out there(Murph0), I think most understand that is nice for non-keys, but really not worth it for the hot books.

You know I probably would have coughed up about $1000 for it about 3x guide and I consider myself a knowledgable collector, 893censored-thumb.gif speculators. I've looked at some of the feedback of the top bidders, its NOT comic book laden to say the least. grrrrr

You would never have gotten one for $1000. As far back as I've been tracking prices(early 2001), ASM #129 in CGC 9.6 as always traded for somwhere between $1700-$2500. The recent boom seems to have affected 9.2's and 9.4's the most, but 9.6's have remained at around the same level as they previously were.

You would never have gotten one for $1000. As far back as I've been tracking prices(early 2001), ASM #129 in CGC 9.6 as always traded for somwhere between $1700-$2500. The recent boom seems to have affected 9.2's and 9.4's the most, but 9.6's have remained at around the same level as they previously were.

I remember when you couldn't give this book away,I would never buy this book at all...way too common.Who wants a book that you can pick up anywhere in 9.4+?? isn't collecting about not having what everyone else has??

isn't collecting about not having what everyone else has??

If you have an ego, then yes. grin.gif

I like this book because I grew up reading the Punisher, and because I collect ASM. But it is common. I'm not saying people SHOULD be paying $1700-$2500, I'm just reporting facts.

But keep in mind, with the exception of the first 5 issues, virtually ALL ASM's are fairly common. But it's also the most sought after title in all of comics. Census #'s may be high on ASM's, but you'd be surprised how many of those books are actually locked up in collections.

You would never have gotten one for $1000. As far back as I've been tracking prices(early 2001), ASM #129 in CGC 9.6 as always traded for somwhere between $1700-$2500.

Well, then you must have missed the CGC 9.6 white-paged copy I bought on eBay in 2001 - for $948.00!! Both BronzeBruce and Wolvergeek can vouch for the sale, because they were ribbing me for practically "stealing" the book for a long time. What can I say...sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. cloud9.gif

Gene

I'm just saying that I think that in this case the price difference between slabbed and raw is huge, on a book that has a lot of nice raw copies floating around. Look you are still gonna paid significant dollars for a raw 181, look at the copy donut has up right now, though I'm wondering (from what I can see of the scan) if it will fetch the reserve. So buying a slabbed 181 for a few hundred xtra might not be a bad idea. But I think you can get this book raw in really nice shape for slightly over guide, $300-$500. The price jump seems a bit high for a book that has alot of copies around. Plus even though I love punisher and he had a little franchise going there in the 80's with War Journal etc. The character is not on the same level with Wolvie, in terms of place in the Marvel universe. I do not see the movie changing this a great deal.

So for me I think of it as a $1000ish book in 9.6. If we compare other bronze HG keys. IE first swampy in #92, were people not saying that this book, which is really alot tougher to get in HG going for about $3,000 in 9.6, thats about 4x guide, and ASM 129 goes for 10x guide, I dunno. You could argue that its under valued, but I dunno. I just dont think the book is in the same level as Wolvie of Swampy's first app.

My opinion anyway, I'd be interested to hear other thoughts about ASM#129's place in Bronze age Keydom. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I knew I shoulda picked ASM #129 as my first comic ever instead of JLoA #110... but I was swayed by the 100-page SuperSpectacular and the picture of Santa face down in the snow.

In any event, it would have been in ratty condition judging by my JLoA...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The auction is over and I think we all know the winner at a cool $1900.00. Be interesting to hear Kev's comments on this purchase as by the timing of his bid in bid history I'm assuming he was prepared to go higher. 893whatthe.gif

Didn't ComicmanKev just recently sell his own copy of this book in what he described as being near perfect for only like a grand. Why buy a similarly graded example which is off center for like $900 more. Is the CGC case that much of an appeal or was it a sort or joy bidding/punishment bidding that just backfired?

Tod