• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Annual

12 posts in this topic

Yes, I thought the 2-page Joe Kubert fragment was kind of awkwardly-executed. Apparently this is Johns' current thing-- teasing upcoming storylines like he did on the last page of Justice Society #2.

I think the payoff of this 2-pager is supposed to be the square Earth Bizarro world. I'm not certain what the post-Crisis, post-Byrne backstory for Bizarro is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't up until now involved a square planet. screwy.gif It's back to the Silver Age apparently, with this and the retelling of the first Mon-El/Superboy story, also in this issue. I have no idea how they're planning to reconcile all this with the last 20 years of Superman continuity. Earth-52, maybe? But in any case, I'm okay if this re-writes a bunch of the Byrne reboot stuff: I thought the whole Mon-El/Valor/Legion/Superboy/Pocket Universe explanation was the worst thing to come out of the original post-Crisis universe. Since he's fixed Hawkman and Green Lantern, maybe now Johns is intent on fixing the Legion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope johns doesn't touch the legion with a 8 million foot pole.

Is Legion any good currently? I picked up the first issue of the most recent Waid re-boot, and couldn't get in to it at all.

Yes, I thought the 2-page Joe Kubert fragment was kind of awkwardly-executed. Apparently this is Johns' current thing-- teasing upcoming storylines like he did on the last page of Justice Society #2.

I think the payoff of this 2-pager is supposed to be the square Earth Bizarro world. I'm not certain what the post-Crisis, post-Byrne backstory for Bizarro is supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't up until now involved a square planet. screwy.gif It's back to the Silver Age apparently, with this and the retelling of the first Mon-El/Superboy story, also in this issue. I have no idea how they're planning to reconcile all this with the last 20 years of Superman continuity. Earth-52, maybe? But in any case, I'm okay if this re-writes a bunch of the Byrne reboot stuff: I thought the whole Mon-El/Valor/Legion/Superboy/Pocket Universe explanation was the worst thing to come out of the original post-Crisis universe. Since he's fixed Hawkman and Green Lantern, maybe now Johns is intent on fixing the Legion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Re-imagining Byrne's changes is one thing, but they seem inclined to just bring back Silver Age silliness for its own sake. I don't see the point, really. That stuff was ditched for a reason.

(But yeah, the Legion confusion could use some help -- even though they'll just change their minds again in five years.)

I'm a huge fan of silver age Superman, so Action Comics Annual #10 to me was fantastic. I'm very happy that they are bringing more silver age elements back into Modern Age of Superman.

It makes sense from a continuity perspective because according to Infinite Crisis, Post Crisis on infinite Earths Earth is suppost to be based on an Earth 1 frame, with all the other Earth's history squeezed inside.

Earth 1 was silver age and bronze age DC Universe Pre Crisis.

And all the current ret cons make sense because post Infinite Crisis a NEW Earth was formed, so histories were changed slightly.

I know all you people who aren't into DC's heads must be hurting right now!!!!

lol....

Only problem I had with the Action Anual was in the first story they showed Metallo without skin and in the last story with skin. Kind of confusing.

But I really loved the upgrades Lex did to Metallo at the end, the origin of Mon-EL, General Zod, Ursa & NON, and the return of Bizarro world and the fact that we are gonna have a green silverage looking Braniac again.

I hated robot Brainiac.

Silver Age Brainiac has always been my favorite Superman Villain other than Lex Luthor.

Anyway I'm very fan boyish about the new Action stuff and I think they are heading in the right direction with Superman. It's been a while since I've felt this way.