• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the tougher book? -->Marvel Mystery 5 or 9?<--

30 posts in this topic

What do you all think is the tougher find? Marvel 5 or 9? Both are listed as scarce in the Overstreet meaning up to 100 copies may exist...I was actually counting every Marvel 9 I could find on the market or in private collections in the late 90's---I reached about 50 copies (including the CGC 3.0 I owned at the time--BTW, does anyone know who bought my copy off Comiclink 2+ years ago?) over a 5 year counting span.The #9 is certainly more sought after due to the classic battle cover and story, but, overall, I think I have seen more 9's than 5's....CGC can attest to this as currently 20 (17 unrest) #9's have been slabbed versus 15 (9 unrest) #5's...

hello all...

I think the 5 is slightly tougher, but I have only been actively searching for about 1 month...I am in need of a 9, though, if anyone has one smile.gif

rick

For Rick a month is an eternity! poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

Okay did someone just scoop Metro's copy of issue #5 I have been drooling all over for the past few months? sumo.gif

takeit.gif I did. I was bored so I decided owning two Marvel 5's would be fun! JUST KIDDING SURFER! I dunno. That copy had been discounted for many months though..surprised it finally moved..you shoulda bought it!

Okay did someone just scoop Metro's copy of issue #5 I have been drooling all over for the past few months? sumo.gif

takeit.gif I did. I was bored so I decided owning two Marvel 5's would be fun! JUST KIDDING SURFER! I dunno. That copy had been discounted for many months though..surprised it finally moved..you shoulda bought it!

Yeah I know, seems like every book I lock on to goes just before I decide to make a move. Have been looking for one decent purchase and that book was in my top 3. frown.gif

Yeah I know, seems like every book I lock on to goes just before I decide to make a move. Have been looking for one decent purchase and that book was in my top 3. frown.gif

I am guessing that Marvel 9 and All Select 1 are the other two books in your top 3? I'll help you look...restored ok? Or is unrestored your preference?

Everytime someone starts a thread about a particular book or books, they fly out of the dealer's websites like greased lightning, or turn up on Ebay and sell for 20X guide ... at least I know what to do when I'm ready to sell some books! devil.gif

that's SO true! Maybe I should get a cut of Metro's Marvel 5 sale since I started this thread cool.gif

Nice pick up. Christo_pull_hair.gif Curious what inspired you to purchase this Timely?

hello all...

Ciorac, Billy Parker and Xavier Logan "inspired" me weeks ago, and so I choose Marvel Mystery as my Timely line to collect...

I have a Marvel Comics 1 "pending" , I bought a #2 from Clink 3 weeks ago (but having to return it today, as it has a full split spine, detached cover that was not disclosed-see the Thread I started on it in the GA forum)...got a #3 over 2 weeks ago from Xavier Logan, working on a trade for a #4 from Filter81, so #5 was just next in line, and Metro had one last week, so I reserved/bought it!...but as I have done more research over the past month, I have noticed that #5 and #9 seem quite tough, with me only seeing the one #5 for sale, and knowing where 2 #9's are that I might be able to get one of...hence, my post yesterday that I thought #5 was slightly harder than #9...

will go after 6-9 later this month or next...

rick

Interesting was that the slabbed MMC#2 CGC 2.0 copy with the tape stain that you bought from Comic Link (that's the only copy I recall them selling recently?) Is the Cage Marvel Comics #1 "pending" cloud9.gif I have seen 3 copies of #5 being offered for sale tin the past 6-12 months, Deep River comics had a low grade one and Harley Yee has a bound volume currently on EBay.

Interesting was that the slabbed MMC#2 CGC 2.0 copy with the tape stain that you bought from Comic Link (that's the only copy I recall them selling recently?) Is the Cage Marvel Comics #1 "pending" cloud9.gif I have seen 3 copies of #5 being offered for sale tin the past 6-12 months, Deep River comics had a low grade one and Harley Yee has a bound volume currently on EBay.

yes on the #2...see the thread I started about it, and you will see what I mean...in its advertised condition, I would be more than happy to own it, but not the way it arrived to me today...the 1 is not the cage copy, I missed that one (was not collecting timely then)

rick

Nice pick up. Christo_pull_hair.gif Curious what inspired you to purchase this Timely?

hello all...

Ciorac, Billy Parker and Xavier Logan "inspired" me weeks ago, and so I choose Marvel Mystery as my Timely line to collect...

I have a Marvel Comics 1 "pending" , I bought a #2 from Clink 3 weeks ago (but having to return it today, as it has a full split spine, detached cover that was not disclosed-see the Thread I started on it in the GA forum)...got a #3 over 2 weeks ago from Xavier Logan, working on a trade for a #4 from Filter81, so #5 was just next in line, and Metro had one last week, so I reserved/bought it!...but as I have done more research over the past month, I have noticed that #5 and #9 seem quite tough, with me only seeing the one #5 for sale, and knowing where 2 #9's are that I might be able to get one of...hence, my post yesterday that I thought #5 was slightly harder than #9...

will go after 6-9 later this month or next...

rick

Glad to see you are taking your time on this title!! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

Good Lord!

How am I ever going to find a MM #9 to reconstruct for the Masterworks volume?

My editor and I are sweating rusty staples.

Without that book, the MM reprints are stalled.

Anybody got a cat peed, rat chewed, water stained copy with a burned corner, and worm holes, for sale?

Regards,

Greg Theakston

Pure Imagination

hello all...

just a note, I bought Metro's Marvel #5 last week, long before this thread was started....no cut, sorry smile.gif

just a fyi!

rick

Hey Rick, did the Marvel 5 arrive? How's it look? FN-? How is that spine split on the bottom? That book was up in Metro's site for awhile--surprised it didn't sell earlier...glad you made it a home...