• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was very your first Golden Age book, and where did you get it?

57 posts in this topic

My first purchase was a Vault of Horror #1 (12), that I purchased at my local LCS in 1979 for $40. It was in VG condition except it had a xerox centerfold. Even though I knew it had the xerox centerfold I still just had to have it since I knew from the Overstreet guide that it was a No. 1 issue!

I think it was a Captain America #2. Mid 90's or so. Paid $380. VG cover (unattached) with minor tear seal, cleaned and pressed. Fell in love with that classic cover.

Before that I was a silver age completest. Now, I am a GA nut.

Elvis

My first GA purchase was G/VG copy of Mad #1 in 1979 I got it from mail order dealer Marty Hay. I still have it.

I love old Price Guide ads. cloud9.gif

scan00220ws.jpg

My first GA purchase was G/VG copy of Mad #1 in 1979 I got it from mail order dealer Marty Hay. I still have it.

I love old Price Guide ads. cloud9.gif

scan00220ws.jpg

Marty Hay is still around, he sets up at the SD Con.

Superman #59 Juggling a group of criminals was my first Golden Age Gem.

I bought it around 1978 at an antique store in downtown Anchorage for the overpriced amount of $20. It grades out in the VG range and I still have it.

The comic was the oldest that I had ever seen at the time, and I had a need for super speed.

Marty Hay is still around, he sets up at the SD Con.

Yes, I usally stop by his booth and chat. He isn't as active in the hobby as he used to be but he consistantly makes the SD con.

The first GA book I bought was a Marvel Mystery (in the 70's? Can't remember) at Comic Con 1978. I was one ecstatic 13-year old. It was only 40 bucks and in great shape. I got halfway across the room where my friend was looking at comics at another table. We cracked that sucker open and discovered immediately that the centerfold was missing. The dealer my friend was shopping with suggested (demanded actually) that I march right back over and get my money back. He was willing to do it for me if I was too embarassed. I wish I remembered who that guy was. Class act. I got my money with no problems.

I've only bought a few minor GA books ($10 here, $10 there) between then and November last year when on a lark I decided to check out how prices were on Ebay. I have since decided to liquidate my SA and pour it all into GA. I blame Goldust for getting me addicted to LB Cole too.

I have since decided to liquidate my SA and pour it all into GA. I blame Goldust for getting me addicted to LB Cole too.

Join the crowd, and welcome to the boards!! thumbsup2.gif

Nice thread...

I purchased Superman #18 from The Great Escape in Nashville, TN in 1983 for $22...more than 4 times my weekly allowance. I remember being in awe of the book-- told my friends with pride that it was "older than my dad!".

Still have the comic today...CGC graded 1.8.

Nice thread...

I purchased Superman #18 from The Great Escape in Nashville, TN in 1983 for $22...more than 4 times my weekly allowance. I remember being in awe of the book-- told my friends with pride that it was "older than my dad!".

Still have the comic today...CGC graded 1.8.

I've wondered if there was a connection between that comic shop and your screen name. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm just beginning to get interested in the GA. Haven't bought any yet.

I'm pretty sure my first GA comic was a beater copy of some issue of Coo Coo Comics I picked up for a buck at a Chicago Comic Con in the mid 80s because it was cool to have a old comic. My next GA comics I bought in the mid 90s. I am not sure which I bought first. I picked up the FC 110 at a cool pop culture story in Sioux City,IA for about $25 and the Samson #1 at an antique mall in Tucumseh, MI for, as you can see, $30 firm. Now these days I pretty much just by GA comics.

FC110-front-small.jpg

samson1.jpg

I bought a whole stack at an antique shop about 15 yrs ago for $10,about 30-40 books! All are in good to fine. Batman,Caire Voyant # 2 from 1947 just a couple off my head,dates ranging from 47-52. Right now there in "moms" closet...so if I ever get them I'll post some scans.

I'm pretty sure my first GA comic was a beater copy of some issue of Coo Coo Comics I picked up for a buck at a Chicago Comic Con in the mid 80s because it was cool to have a old comic. My next GA comics I bought in the mid 90s. I am not sure which I bought first. I picked up the FC 110 at a cool pop culture story in Sioux City,IA for about $25 and the Samson #1 at an antique mall in Tucumseh, MI for, as you can see, $30 firm. Now these days I pretty much just by GA comics.

FC110-front-small.jpg

samson1.jpg

It's really cool that you still have those books! thumbsup2.gif

I remember my first golden age purchase included several books. Archie #8 and #10 and Laugh #20 (1st issue.) I bought them in about 1973 when I was 11 from a place in Virginia called Don's Book Vault. I still have the books. I wish I still had the lists of books they offered for sale at that time. I'm sure most were cheap. Shortly after that I bought Action #15 from the same seller. I loved the submarine cover with Superman. I sold or traded it to another collector about a decade later.