• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electroshock therapy for the Silver Age Forum

18 posts in this topic

Hey all -

WARNING: rantpost.gif

I have been checking the Silver Age threads for the last two weeks now and, despite an always-classic-yet-slightly-redundant cage match between Kevin76 and gman goodevil.gif, I have seen little to get my blood going. The other day, in fact, I logged in to check the one (1) additional SA comment after 12 hours off-line and nearly died of tedium. (No offense to the poster; it was just like needing coffee and having to suck the ground-embedded dregs out of yesterday morning's cup! 893whatthe.gif).

So we need a jump-start, electroshock therapy, an open-handed smack upside the head, SOMETHING to get us going... makepoint.gif I admit to have nothing spectacular in mind - I'm no more interesting or creative than I was yesterday, sadly - but here are a few questions:

1. The new Heritage stuff is up for the Chicago auctions...there seems to be quite a bit of nice late Silver Age offerings. Mostly Marvel, alas; some sweet JIM and Thor along with a smattering of nearly every other big and small title. Thoughts? Any prizes you're looking at? Are there any cool books from DC or other publishers? I'm looking at the Iron Man #12 with the black cover featuring The Collector - one of my favorite early IM covers.

2. How's your Silver Age collection going? I personally find collecting HG Marvel stuff torturous. Plenty of steady supply, but unusual - sometimes fierce - competition for them. I guess that's what makes it fun, although (and feel free to keel-haul me for this one) spending $411 on a Hulk #105 in 9.6 on Ebay makes me shudder! My only consolation? I'm collecting, not flipping. Gotta say, though, I just obsess over those wonderful covers and don't regret what I buy.

3. Educate the half-witted Marvel zombie (me, that is). I know a lot about Marvel but used to read some Silver and Bronze DC as a kid and would love to know what titles are the toughest to collect (period) or to find in HG runs (since that's my interest.) Silver Age DC'ers of the world, let me know what's goin' on.

4. Post pictures! I LOVE TO SEE SCANS on these forums, especially those in threads like "Have a Cigar". Let us know what the newest beloved addition is to your Silver Age stash and why it's important to yo.

OK, that's it. Sorry for the 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif, but let's not let the SA forum drift into oblivion...

Dan sumo.gif

ps, if none of these questions interests you, just post on "Chuck and the Dallas Stephens Collection: Fact or Fiction" and/or "How many people are REALLY on these forums when you take away the shill accounts?" I'm guessing 18, and that Joanna and Hammer are possibly one and the same person... wink.gif

Hey hey hey...you posted a whole year's worth of topics in one shot!!! Pace yourself and save some of those for the MONTH-long lulls!A high-grade copy of Spidey 33 pops up for sale approximately once every 3 to 5 minutes, but it's taken me over two years to get a CENTERED copy of that issue! Just like FF 48 which came out a few weeks after this one, Spidey 33 is almost always cover-offset with the front wrapping around to the back. I feel quite lucky to have bagged this one!!! I just got it in the mail today from ComicLink.

Silver Age DC? Post some covers?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm... How about the very first Neal Adams cover for DC?

hope106.jpg

Now, does anyone out there know the first costumed-hero cover Adams did? (I think I know, but I'm not at all sure...)

I took a quick glance at the Heritage Chicago offerings earlier and noticed that they have a few Neal Adams GL's up for bids. Numbers 81, 82, 83, and 87. Two of them are 9.2's and two are 9.4's. I will definately bid on them, but I am certain that I will not win them. Like you said, just to much competition for these books.

Also on the Neal Adams topic, Heritage Chicago has the original Neal Adams and Giordano Splash Page Art for Detective Comics #407,circa 1971. A very nice piece with 9 bidders already taking it up to the $2000 range. As much as I would like it its a little out of my range right now.

'Tec 407 Splash

Not to drive the DC and Neal Adams issue into the ground, but they are also auctioning off an etremely nice Bat book.

Batman 200 CGC 9.2

These are the first items that really caught my eye. Anyone else find them as nice as I do

Silver Age DC? Post some covers?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm... How about the very first Neal Adams cover for DC?

hope106.jpg

Now, does anyone out there know the first costumed-hero cover Adams did? (I think I know, but I'm not at all sure...)

I'd have to say Superboy...he was doing the covers as far back as #143..and that had to be early feb 1968...

J.D.

I'd have to say Superboy...he was doing the covers as far back as #143..and that had to be early feb 1968...

J.D.

Not bad, December 1967...

614_4_143.jpg

I was going to say Strange Adventures 207, so looks like we may have a tie:

704_4_207.jpg

This is great! I've already seen more terrific DC covers than in most threads. I assume Neal Adams' early art and covers are highly desired? Is there a "most famous cover" of his? Half-witted Marvel zombies want to know...

Dan

Lots of nice books on Heritage's new auction. Now if everyone will just let me win all the books I want at cheap prices, I promise (well promise might be too strong of a word), not to bid on the same issues next time around. So let me have all the Neal Adams covers (especially the GL).

Actually, there is tons of supply of 1966 and up Marvel books on eBay/Heritage in high grade. Seems to be a dearth of early quality books. Even people like Jason Ewert seems to be selling mostly the stuff that didn't sell last time. Nothing new.

It's amazing with all the Heritage Auctions and eBay, how many CGC NM (and better) books are being listed. Everyday, runs of Captain Marvel and Nick Fury are listed in NM, NM+, etc. I love the Steranko covers on Nick Fury, but I don't feel the need to buy it today, two more will show up tomorrow.

I hoping my books that I won from Heritage's Signature auction arrive tomorrow. One book that I'm looking forward to is Tales to Astonish #35 (first Antman in Costume) in CGC VF that I won (including BP) for $805. Guide in VF says (yes, its only a guide) $1,054, so I felt like I got a good deal. cloud9.gif Plus, there are less CGC copies in VF or better for TOA #35 then any other Key Silver-Age Marvel that came before it (including AF #15, FF #1,4,5, Hulk #1,JIM #1 and TOA #27).

So do you fell better drummy. Wait till you get your little girl, you'll never post again. 27_laughing.gif

To Deathlok - That's one of my favorite sites - thanks for the link! I also just got Gerber's Marvel covers journals for my bedtime reading...

To Steve - I do feel better! I just felt like the SA boards were being ignored. Sounds like you got a nice deal on the TTA #35, too; that is a neat cover because of its artistic perspective. Good stuff.

To all: I have no plans to bid on the GL books or on any Neal Adams art, so enjoy the competition without any interference from this end. Heritage does seem to have an ususually large percentage of HG late Silver this time - a number of them have an arrival date on the back cover, so maybe it's from a one-owner collection? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dan

I'd have to say Superboy...he was doing the covers as far back as #143..and that had to be early feb 1968...J.D.

How about Action # 356, from November 1967? Wins by one month??

97_4_356.jpg

I'd have to say Superboy...he was doing the covers as far back as #143..and that had to be early feb 1968...J.D.

97_4_356.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why dosen't the "kid" just knock out Superman and use his "super fists" to sever the hand cuffs instead of threatening to knock out Superman if he dosen't remove the cuffs, and trashing the monument?

Damn DC's don't make any sense. grin.gif

I hope this is right.

Strange adventures #206 November 67. Deadman cloud9.gif His cover of Deadman for #207 is a classic. cloud9.gif

Sorry guys the #206 wasn't his cover, but it must be close to his first DC superhero art.

This is great! I've already seen more terrific DC covers than in most threads. I assume Neal Adams' early art and covers are highly desired? Is there a "most famous cover" of his? Half-witted Marvel zombies want to know...

Dan

Batman #227 ( a classic homage to Detective #31. Great Gothic cover) or Batman #251 (joker).

If I was near a scanner I would put up some more of his deadman covers or his The Unexpected covers.

Looks like that's the winner so far! Congrats!

Oh, and Andrew, part of the fun of reading some of the cornier Silver Age stuff is figuring out what "really" happened that the writer was too, uh, busy to actually tell us. Alan Moore and Grant Morrison used to do some of this type of revisionist history early in their careers, and it is also similar to what Mark Millar is doing to the Avengers in the current Ultimates book.

I'd never seen this particular issue before, so maybe the story actually explained it. If not, then a revisionist-history explanation might be: The kid's super-fists were blunt instruments, not suitable for precision-work like removing his pop's handcuffs. And being a cocky young lad, he was sure if he used his super-fists on Superman, he'd kill the poor guy, and then who would release dear ol' dad?

I remember seeing (and reading) Detective #227 when I was in third grade; not the original, but in an oversized treasury called "Batman's Strangest Cases" or something like that. There were several with Adams art and they were amazing...

Cool covers!

Dan