• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man, I love those SA DC's!!

14 posts in this topic

I was prepping some auctions and now I don't know if I can possibly part with one of my Lois Lane's. The opening splash page was enough to make me want to hang onto this one forever! Check it out:

LL69B.jpg

Is that the best or what??? I swear this one is crying out for a SA Review, or at least a shrine. I would LOVE to get ahold of the original art for that page. I want that on my wall!

-- Joanna

Is that the best or what??? I swear this one is crying out for a SA Review, or at least a shrine. I would LOVE to get ahold of the original art for that page. I want that on my wall!

-- Joanna

My favourite Lois is where she turns into a black Lois. Can you do a review on that one?????

Joanna, a serious question;

I like writing, although I'm far from polished and have a lot to learn. And I'm not in practice at the moment because of my schedule.

From what I've seen on these boards, I think you're a good writer. Not just on the "Crisis" thread, but the way you structure your responses and ideas when posting in general.

I myself love S.A Marvels, but more from a collecting standpoint. It's more about the Heritage and significance of the characters that drives me to collect than it is about reading. To be honest, a lot of S.A books are painful to read for me.

From a writing standpoint, do you not find a concept like "Bug-Belle" a little painful to read?

My favourite Lois is where she turns into a black Lois. Can you do a review on that one?????

I'm fairly certain I have the issue, but I'd have to check. I'll consider reviewing it (but probably not until after crisis, since I'm having enough trouble finding time to write that).

-- Joanna

Joanna, a serious question;

I like writing, although I'm far from polished and have a lot to learn. And I'm not in practice at the moment because of my schedule.

From what I've seen on these boards, I think you're a good writer. Not just on the "Crisis" thread, but the way you structure your responses and ideas when posting in general.

I myself love S.A Marvels, but more from a collecting standpoint. It's more about the Heritage and significance of the characters that drives me to collect than it is about reading. To be honest, a lot of S.A books are painful to read for me.

From a writing standpoint, do you not find a concept like "Bug-Belle" a little painful to read?

Thanks for a thought-provoking question.

And the answer is: just the opposite. I found it absolutely delightful. One of the things I adore about SA DC are some of the whimsical storylines, that are both imaginative and 'out there'. They can be predictable at times, but more than once I've been surprised by an ending because the story is too crazy to predict. The Lois Lane 29 story that I reviewed a couple of months ago is a good example of that.

DC's were often written around a cover concept (and the story works hard to make sure that cover is a panel in the story). And you can tell that sometimes they have an idea, like "Lois keeps kissing superheroes" and then they have to set it up, get all that kissing in, and come up with a reason for it. LL 29 was so improbable, that there was no way on earth to predict it. And yet, there were clues there, so it wasn't a cheat. (You have to read closely and exammine the panels to see all the little clues they used to put in those stories. But they're always there).

The bug story was an excuse to give Lois superpowers (she was using Lana Lang's Insect Queen powers) and yet be repulsive while doing so. A perfect storyline for Lois, as she is constantly desiring superpowers, but she's also quite vain. So in the story she saves lives, something that speaks to her heroic side. And she's invulnerable and super-powered -- the one thing that can get Superman to propose (always her ultimate goal). Yet she's hideous, so of course he won't. A nice conundrum for her.

Lois Lane comics are not about fights and villains. They're about a non-super-powered woman who lives in a world with superheroes. She's a 30ish, single, successful, gutsy character, who is hopelessly in love with a man she can never have. And that's the basis for many of her stories in the SA. In the bronze age, the focus was less on romance, and more on her independance, and career. A reflection of changing times.

One of the reasons I love GA and SA comics is because they give me insight into the times. The GA was something I never experienced, but reading those books lets me see what the attitudes, problems, and lifestyles were in that time period. Yes, some of the stories seem silly now, but I love silliness (look at crisis -- it's pure silliness). I adore seeing someone else's imagination run wild. I love seeing crazy situations, or convoluted stories that somehow work out. That can be some pretty tricky writing!

Granted, some stories are better than others. Some aren't at all silly, and have something important to say. Those are the ones I remember most from my childhood. But as an adult, I tend to be a bit partial to the silly ones, becasue they speak of a more innocent time.

-- Joanna

And, to follow up to Joanna's post, go back and READ some of the Silver Age Marvels, especially X-Men and (shudder) Spider-Man. Here's a big fat dollop of angst for you today, Mr. Parker! They're really not good.

The legendary "Black Like Me" issue of Lois is Lois Lane 106. Truly truly truly bad.

And, to follow up to Joanna's post, go back and READ some of the Silver Age Marvels, especially X-Men and (shudder) Spider-Man. Here's a big fat dollop of angst for you today, Mr. Parker! They're really not good.

The legendary "Black Like Me" issue of Lois is Lois Lane 106. Truly truly truly bad.

Aw c'mon Donut...I love that issue...she comes out of that machine all Sassy!!

lois106.jpg

J.D.