• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confession: I love 70's Supes!

14 posts in this topic

I have always had a soft spot for the 1970's Superman books! To this day, when I

read those fun Bates or Maggin stories with the beautiful Swanderson art, I feel

they compare favorably to Marvels of the same period.

These books were always mocked when I was in high school, but I think 70's Marvels

ultimately featured too much Soap Opera, too many stories continuing ad nauseum,

too many tedious battles.

70's Supes stories were usually self-contained, beautifully drawn, cleverly

plotted, and most importantly --- FUN! Long Live Terra-Man, Brainiac and the Parasite!

supes247.jpg

supestv.gif

Me too. I bought a huge stack of early 70s Superman and Action at my LCS about 1.5 years ago, and they were a blast to read. Superman #319-329 is also one of my all-time favorite arcs. I started buying the title in the 330s and had a blast putting together those back issues as a kid.

These books were always mocked when I was in high school, but I think 70's Marvels ultimately featured too much Soap Opera, too many stories continuing ad nauseum, too many tedious battles.

I think you might be in a very small minority with that opinion.

Then again, I loved Rom, so what the hell do I know. grin.gif

Nice! I've set myself the goal of completing Supes 233-340 and Action 382-502 in

9.4 or better.

Amazingly I'm already nearly halfway there. I think I scored a couple of really nice

lots over the years that made a big dent.

when I first started reading comics as a kid, 70's Supes/Actions were what I read most, I also read some Batman. didn't really read anything outside of those two characters though.

those 70's Superman stories bring back fond childhood memories.

Nice! I've set myself the goal of completing Supes 233-340 and Action 382-502 in

9.4 or better.

Amazingly I'm already nearly halfway there. I think I scored a couple of really nice

lots over the years that made a big dent.

yah, if you are persistant, these books can be had easily, and on the cheap! I love the issues up through the 52 pagers, after which the cover designs lose some appeal.

yah, if you are persistant, these books can be had easily, and on the cheap! I love the issues up through the 52 pagers, after which the cover designs lose some appeal.

My feelings exactly.

Actions and Supermans from this period were the first comics I owned and read, handed down to me by my late brother. Although I consider the 60's to be the Golden period of Superman stories, the issues from this era are still very fun, interesting, and affordable. thumbsup2.gif

Superman is the ONLY comic I collect, and the Bronze Age issues are what got me collecting. In fact, I don't collect or read any Superman issues after issue #423, after which I feel that Byrne and his successors took what made Superman special away from him. My favorite story arcs are Superman #296-#299 when Superman and then Clark Kent tried discarding his/their alter egos, Superman's battle with Solomon Grundy and the Parasite in issues #320-#322, and his first duel with the Master Jailer in #331-#332. To this day, whenever I re-read Superman #318 I cry--only a great story can evoke those kind of emotions.

Michael

Superman is a pretty boy from a bygone era. He's too much of a shirt and tie type. His days are numbered.

Sentence #1, I'll agree with. Despite my own preference for other super-heroes, however, every comic fans has to respect what Supes has done for our beloved hobby. I just don't see him ever leaving the collective conscious of comicbook fans- he's too much of a cultural icon and pillar of this industry.

...even if Batman is by far a cooler dude. poke2.gifwink.gif