• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Way to go, Fables fans...

38 posts in this topic

It was the same for me! I had bought 1001 hardback and the Special edition #1 and liked them, so I bought the 1st TPB and presto! I was hooked. I prefer buying the actual books of series I like so, thanks to moonlite (he's my local LCS guy, and a great guy to boot) who helped me get the collection together I'm now down to just 3 books to complete the run.

Just finished #7 and is good to know I can read em straight thru now!

Anybody got a #1 1st print at a reasonable price?

thumbsup2.gif I just recommended it to someone last night. He's come back to comics and has just finished his ASM collection that was near-complete about ten years ago and he's casting for new titles, vintage and current. I said it's one he AND his wife would enjoy. Which is a real strength of the series I think.

I think it's time for me to order a few more trades for myself. I think I only have the first six.

Marc

I actually didn't care for the first trade at all. I pick up 2 and 3 based on the strength of recommendations though and enjoyed them much more. I now have them all insane.gif

I agree 100%. If I hadn't read the 2nd arc as my 1st Fables book, I would have stopped right there. But I'm glad that I didn't stop because the book is fantastic. Especially as of late. I was so disappointed when I finally was able to find #1-5. Not that it's bad, just not my favorite Fables story.

Pat

Anyone check out the 1001 Nights HC or whatever, the prequel? Is it worth the 20 bucks?

It's definitely worth the 20 bucks. It mostly adds background to the characters. You get to hear more about some of the animals on the farm, you get the background on Frog, knows the backstory of the relationship between North Wind and Bigby (which helps better read the most recent issue), you follow Snow White and Rose Red's escape from the homelands, ... + considering how gorgeous the art is, it's actually a bargain priced at $20. thumbsup2.gif

Anyone check out the 1001 Nights HC or whatever, the prequel? Is it worth the 20 bucks?

It's definitely worth the 20 bucks. It mostly adds background to the characters. You get to hear more about some of the animals on the farm, you get the background on Frog, knows the backstory of the relationship between North Wind and Bigby (which helps better read the most recent issue), you follow Snow White and Rose Red's escape from the homelands, ... + considering how gorgeous the art is, it's actually a bargain priced at $20. thumbsup2.gif

*note to self* Pick up the book next time

Thank you sir.

I enjoyed the first book just fine. It makes sense that the characterizations get better as the series develops and the creator figures things out. Hey, X-Men 94-100 aren't that great compared to the issues to come... smile.gif

Yeah I really enjoyed the first book too, infact if I hadn't, I wouldn't have bothered with #2.

Is 1001 Nights a story like an actual novel or a comic book?

Pat

Hi Pat,

the book is framed liked the 1001 Arabian Nights tales where the comic book sections are in-between the narrated / novelized sections which are themselves illustrated by Charles Vess. You get much much more comic book content than you get text though.

Scrooge

*note to self* Pick up the book next time

Thank you sir.

No problem + my copy on pre-order at DCBS only cost me $10 yay.gif You can't beat that. I am so glad about the special discount they had because I was about to skip it.

I bought it when it came out but didn't open it yet. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely have to read it soon.

I also have the GN (I think it's Last Castle). Was that a good read? I'm just starting to catch up on weeklies so I'm thinking of going back and reading what I missed before.

Pat

I also have the GN (I think it's Last Castle). Was that a good read?

Yes it was a decent read. Again, it's adding depth to the storylines presented in the main series without being a necessary read. Yet, if you like the monthlies, these are imperative to read because the same care is taken to write and produce them and they do really add to the regular storyline.