• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 17

86 posts in this topic

Struggled with 9.4, but the combination of multiple spine breaks & that LRC made calling this book 'NM' virtually impossible.

You are seriously threatening to run the table on us, dude! hail.gif

BAD NEWS

I got my first X since I didn't get home early enough to place my inaccurate guess.

GOOD NEWS

I didn't really miss out on 4 points as I was prepared to say 9.4 using a nic bump. So I only missed out on 2 points.

The following grades were received:

8.0 - 2

8.5 - 6

9.0 - 10

9.2 - 24

9.4 - 33

9.6 - 4

and the grade that really counts I guess is 9.2

foreheadslap.gif

I went with 9.0 due to seeing 8 - 10 spine stress points.

I thought that was too many for 9.2.

893censored-thumb.gif

this is the farthest I have been off, I went 8.5. On my monitor it looks like one of the spine stresses is 1/2" long, and there is a small edge tear/ crease on back. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been further off, but a 9.2? With that soiling also? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Going by these grades of late, I've got some very high grade

Silver, and Bronze age books at home. insane.gif

Struggled with 9.4, but the combination of multiple spine breaks & that LRC made calling this book 'NM' virtually impossible.

You are seriously threatening to run the table on us, dude! hail.gif

i too would like to throw a shout-out The Beyonder's way....

7 in a row is very impressive... thumbsup2.gif

this is the farthest I have been off, I went 8.5. On my moniter it looks like one of the spine stresses is 1/2" long, and there is a small edge tear/ crease on back. confused-smiley-013.gif

completely agree:

Small rip in back cover keeps this book out of the 9's guys. Yet 81 of you guess 9.0+

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

this is the farthest I have been off, I went 8.5. On my moniter it looks like one of the spine stresses is 1/2" long, and there is a small edge tear/ crease on back. confused-smiley-013.gif

completely agree:

Small rip in back cover keeps this book out of the 9's guys. Yet 81 of you guess 9.0+

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

Trick is: don't guess your grade, guess CGC's. confused-smiley-013.gif

completely agree:

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

Care to enlighten me where this tear is on the back cover? If you are reffering to the mark just left of the Christmas Santa box, that is not a tear confused-smiley-013.gif

Yup thats me acclaim.gif

teyy Monday morning and after hearing almost for a month straight about this Nik bump screwy.gif and how this is overgraded or how can this be graded that high and 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

and if thats a 9.4 then all mine are 10s and 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Finally starting to crack a little crazy.gif

Yup thats me acclaim.gif

teyy Monday morning and after hearing almost for a month straight about this Nik bump screwy.gif and how this is overgraded or how can this be graded that high and 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

and if thats a 9.4 then all mine are 10s and 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Finally starting to crack a little crazy.gif

Are you suggesting the nik bump is just a myth? 893whatthe.gif

Either way I wouldn't get upset or worked up over it, you know what they say "Grass is always greener on your own side..." err is that how it goes?

completely agree:

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

Care to enlighten me where this tear is on the back cover? If you are reffering to the mark just left of the Christmas Santa box, that is not a tear confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought that was a small tear as well. This is where just going by the scans can be deceiving. I also thought there was a indentation by Spidey's left wrist.

It would be more accurate of-course to grade these in hand, that is why

I am inviting everyone to Minnesota next year to stay with me where we can grade these in hand. Minnesota has had the best weather in the U.S. for the past 4 years, so come on over. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifhi.gifhi.gif

completely agree:

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

Even if that was a micro-tear it wouldn't be enough to drop it lower than 9.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

These grading contests are very illuminating. It's interesting that, for the most part, people here grade more conservatively than CGC.