• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOLVERINE: ORIGINS - What's Your Take?

24 posts in this topic

So, we're 13 issues into WOLVERINE ORIGINS, and I am wondering how the masses feel about this series. Do you like it? Do you think it adds to the Wolverine mythos? Etc...

Let me start with my take.

Briefly put, I am disappointed to the point that #13 is my last issue. Why?

1) I think the art is inappropriate for this character - to clean;

2) Lots of guest stars with no real apparent purpose;

3) Another WOLVERINE sibling/relative/clone, etc... - YAWN.

4) Mutliple covers.

All in all, I really don't see the purpose of this series beyond generating some extra revenue for MARVEL. It doesn't feel as if I have learned anything of interest about Wolverine's history or character after THIRTEEN issues or close to $50CDN. WOLVERINE: ORIGIN the mini-series explained much more in only a handful of issues without over-indulging itself in gratuitous cameos or giving too much away.

So, what say you all?

1) I think the art is inappropriate for this character - to clean;

2) Lots of guest stars with no real apparent purpose;

3) Another WOLVERINE sibling/relative/clone, etc... - YAWN.

4) Mutliple covers.

All good reasons to drop the title as stated above.

I dropped it after issue #10. I thought the series had potential and I looked forward to some revelations about the hairy dude. Instead I just got bored. sleeping.gif

Absolute trash. Sorry to say that too as I'm a huge Wolverine fan.

I just read the most recent issue. Though I love Dillion, the artwork just doesn't work. Almost feels like a really, really lame version of Preacher. Especially with the super-powered mentally challenged character. The son just looks aweful. When did a mullet/mohawk become popular again?

I also enjoy most of Way's work. But his writing is horrible in this book. The son character is aweful.

Totally agree that every book is a guest appearance. Characters we haven't seen in the Wolverine title in years. Though I love revisiting the characters, the one & done approach sucks. I'd love to see Cyber, Omega Red, and even Nuke in the regular title with a good reason for their return. But it just feels forced in Origins. I'm just waiting for the robot Wolverine & robot girl to come back (from Silvestri's day on the book)! HAHAH

After all is said and done with 11 issues (don't think we're to 13 yet), it's served none of its purpose. The purpose was to expose Wolverine's long lost origin. What, he had a kid? Uhhm, wasn't that a revelation just in Batman too? And they didn't need an extra series for that. That he killed nuke while under the control of someone else? Wow! Pffft.

Anyone have the sales results on #11? I can only hope that it goes down the tubes.

Pat

Diamond sales reports for Wolverine: Origins (far back as I could find) -

9 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #3 $2.99 MAR 116,058

8 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #4 $2.99 MAR 110,830

3 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #5 $2.99 Marvel 120,200

12 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #6 $2.99 MAR 101,013

9 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #7* $2.99 MAR 103,273

15 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #8 $2.99 MAR 91,585

17 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #9 $2.99 MAR 84,733

9 WOLVERINE ORIGINS #10* $2.99 MAR 97,881

February results (for issue #11) are not out yet. thumbsup2.gif

After all is said and done with 11 issues (don't think we're to 13 yet), it's served none of its purpose.

Sadly it has reached 13 issues... *ugh*.

Glad to see sales have continued to decrease as the only impact we truly have as consumers is to spend our money elsewhere.

Agree with all posts (except the Dillon's art sucks, he's just not right for this book ! !)

I was hoping this title was going to be in the same vein as the Batman LOTDK series. LOTDK was great in the beginning with various writers/artists telling tales from Batman's past. Origins was the perfect platform for that type of series, but they screwed the pooch on this one, ONCE AGAIN! ! !

Agree with all posts (except the Dillon's art sucks, he's just not right for this book ! !)

I was hoping this title was going to be in the same vein as the Batman LOTDK series. LOTDK was great in the beginning with various writers/artists telling tales from Batman's past. Origins was the perfect platform for that type of series, but they screwed the pooch on this one, ONCE AGAIN! ! !

Ok..... I realize that I'm going to get blasted for this, but I like it. I don't love it and understand why you all don't like it.... but I'm enjoying it. And I've dropped a lot lately.

Ok..... I realize that I'm going to get blasted for this, but I like it. I don't love it and understand why you all don't like it.... but I'm enjoying it. And I've dropped a lot lately.

sign-funnypost.gifscrewy.gifinsane.gif