• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

more Adams mania- Tec #395

41 posts in this topic

I noticed that auction 893whatthe.gif I sniped the book and wasn't even in the ballpark 893censored-thumb.gif High grade Adams Bats books are thru the roof right now. Is this the time of the year when collectors are going crazy with newly acquired tax refunds?? Seems like a great time to sell high grade Adams books with all these recent Ebay auction results. Also, when an Avengers #95 CGC 8.5 sells for $260.00 you know things are out of whack!!

I have not been able to find any reason/market trend that points to Adams resurgence...nothing to quantify these recent prices (ala movie). I am hoping it is just a blip so to speak caused by TAX time.

The way I look at it is they've been undervalued for years... I would definitely say that's not the case any more, but Neal really did put out probably the best work of his generation, and many times on books that are deceptively tough in hg. I don't really have too much of a problem with nice examples of his books going for a couple hundred confused-smiley-013.gif

I am actually surprised it didn't go a little higher. 221 has one of the best Adams covers and it's a really tough book above 9.0.

The seller is a boardmember, Rip, though he hasn't be around for quite some time. Looks like he sold a centered copy of HOS 88 as well. Another classic Adams cover and very tough to find with good QP.

I am actually surprised it didn't go a little higher. 221 has one of the best Adams covers and it's a really tough book above 9.0.

The seller is a boardmember, Rip, though he hasn't be around for quite some time. Looks like he sold a centered copy of HOS 88 as well. Another classic Adams cover and very tough to find with good QP.

Batman 221 only has 1 9.4 and 1 9.6. Very tough book.

The House of Secrets 88 in cgc9.0 got a nice price. I wonder if the QP had anything to do with it.

I was just thinking.

It's amazing that with the prices Neal Adams Batman and Tec books reach that more high grade copies aren't coming to market. I wonder if they are that hard to find in high grade or the owners have them raw and don't want to part with them.

I have also pondered the huge difference in census #'s between DC and Marvel's from this BA time period pre-Direct Market. Was it that DC collector's actually read/reread their books therefore much lower high grade copies survived, rather than the Marvel collector's who were more into hoarding and speculating? Also, fewer if any warehouse finds of pre-1972 DC's (no such DC's found in the Mile High 2 hoard) and the lower popularity of DC vs Marvel may have contributed to a truer scarcity of ultra high grade issues. Or as you point out, maybe high grade DC collector's have no urge to slab no matter how crazy prices may get confused-smiley-013.gif

Well I just bought a Batman 181 CGC 9.2 (White), in doing so I had to sale my Giant Size X men CGC 9.0 (off white) I know that the GSX is considered a major key but after looking at the census 2373 copies of GSX have been graded, 745 9.0 and above the 181 only 78 have been graded and 20 of them are at least 9.0 and above. To me the choice was easy I can always get another GSX, there always out there for sale. But the Bats 181 you never see and that’s why IMHO the Bats are selling so high, harder to find.

I would say that any of the Adams batbooks are hard to find in true 9.4 or better. I think that the same could be said for early Bronze age DCs (15 to early 20 cent cover price, plust the 52 pagers) as a whole. At the beginning of the month I picked up nearly 800 Gold/Silver/Bronze DC and Marvel books from an original owner collection (100 or so will be sent to CGC shortly grin.gif). There is a noticeable difference in the condition of the books from both companies even though they were all stored the same way (a handful together in old magazine sized bags, stacked in cardboard boxes). The DCs from this period tended to be half to one full grade lower than the Marvels on average - minor bends, corner dings and spine stresses seemed to show up more on the DCs. It might be just my imagination, but when you compare the coverstock quality between the two companies it seems like the Marvels are just a bit sturdier than the DCs. DC's use of dark covers for a lot of the Adams batbooks and HOM/HOS run does not help either.

Case in point, I picked up a bunch of Adams batbooks yesterday at a local show from a longtime collector who is selling his collection. He was a fellow Adams fan and had built up a nice collection over the years. It was nice to see that he had 10 copies of #227 at his table, however the best conditioned copy is only a 9.0 (still has an old Bedrock City Comics card behind the backing board in the mylar). Luckily I got to his stash first and snapped up 6 of the copies he had graded in 7.0 or better for a reasonable price (should have checked the back covers - two are just 5.0 due to scuffs and creases). He also had a bunch of other nice Adams Batmans and Detectives, plus a sweet 8.5 (possibly 9.0) copy of GL #76. Out of the 20 high grade Adams batbooks I picked up from him, only 3 or 4 are actually 9.2 or better (sweet copy of Detective #405). The rest fall into the 8.0 - 9.0 category due to minor wear. Considering that he had focused on buying multiple high grade copies of Adams books locally and from US-based dealers for the past 5 years or so, I would have expected him to have accumulated more 9.2 or better copies. While a lot of the 8.0 - 9.0 copies are great looking books, they have just enough spine stresses or other minor dings to bring them down.

Check out the price paid for this "NM- 9.2" copy of Tec #395 from the Kubert Collection. Note that the bottom staple is punched through the cover.

DETECTIVE COMICS #395 NM- 9.2 BATMAN ADAMS COVER DC NR

I was aggresively bidding on this auction but i guess i wasn't aggressive enough.

I did eventually get a nice copy of this book at about F/VF and i only paid $14. Now i'm just waiting on my 9.2 411 to show up grin.gif

Check out the price paid for this "NM- 9.2" copy of Tec #395 from the Kubert Collection. Note that the bottom staple is punched through the cover.

DETECTIVE COMICS #395 NM- 9.2 BATMAN ADAMS COVER DC NR

I was aggresively bidding on this auction but i guess i wasn't aggressive enough.

I did eventually get a nice copy of this book at about F/VF and i only paid $14. Now i'm just waiting on my 9.2 411 to show up grin.gif

I was just flipping through the CGC census last night and I stumbled upon the registry number for this particular book. A measly 25 copies have been graded in total. I found this number shocking since it makes finical sense for dealers to have this book graded for a profitable flip on eBay.

Just to put that number into prespective, there are 3,000+ Hulk 181 CGC graded copies, 407 CGC graded Batman 232's and even 113 CGC graded Detective Comics 400. So the fact that there are only 25 CGC graded Detective 395's tell me that either the 1) vast majority of dealers have yet to catch onto how hot this book is, 2) it's extremely rare to find in high grades or 3) collectors don't feel the need to have these books graded.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I personally feel that a nice high grade copy is few and far between.