• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Strange: The Oath

8 posts in this topic

Great series! Finally a Dr. Strange story that doesn't suck! Kudos to writer Brian K Vaughan and artist Marcos Martin for a job well done!

The Oath is about a quadrillion times better than the JMS Matrix rip off POS "Strange" miniseries from a few years ago.

The 5 issues are a great reminder of why I love the characters in Dr. Strange's universe, and isn't just another Lee/Ditko re-hash, but a fresh take that really works well.

It was so good that I've decided to watch LOST again next season, even if the climax this year is lame, just because Vaughan is joining the writing team!

In my opinion, this was one of the best Doc story arcs ever...

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The Oath is about a quadrillion times better than the JMS Matrix rip off POS "Strange" miniseries from a few years ago.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I am really glad you posted this because it reminded me of something I've been wanting to discuss with fellow fans for neary a year now. A brief background for context: I have NOT read OATH, but I did read the mini you refer to, which I actually enjoyed.

OK, now on to the point.

After reading JMS' mini I felt ripped off (even though enjoyed it) because the cover price of those books was rather high, considering it seemed like a retelling of Dr. Strange's origin. But, several months later, while flipping through some of JMS' earlier ASM issues I found one with Dr. Strange in it and proceeded to read it (cannot recall the #, but Spidey goes back in time thanks to the Dr. and "relives" all the key moments). At the end of this issue, in a sort of epilogue, Mordu, or whatever his name, goes back in time to alter Dr. Strange's origin, and there is an editor's note claiming this story will be told in a future unnamed mini-series.

Now, could it be that the JMS Dr. Strange mini was the mini in question? If so, did the events in that story differ from the Dr. Strange origin as told back in the Silver Age, and if so, do you think it has or will have any bearing on the character's future development??? I'm not a huge Dr. Strange fan, so it is quite possible that I am way off on this one, since I do not follow the character very closely...

The few people I told this to, seemed completely at a loss, so I am hoping someone out there is aware of this and can shed some light on the subject.

????

I like Strange too, but only when he is used sparingly. For instance, as much as I despised Avengers Disassembled, the way Bendis used Strange in the story as the go-to man who could explain all the happenings around Wanda was cool.

I'm not a big fan of him being used as a 'super-hero', or a team leader like Defenders (or New Avengers apparently). The last thing a so-called Master of the Mystic Arts would want to do is hang with Hulk, Subby, Surfer and Valkrie when he could be meditating and focusing on his vocation.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I am really glad you posted this because it reminded me of something I've been wanting to discuss with fellow fans for neary a year now. A brief background for context: I have NOT read OATH, but I did read the mini you refer to, which I actually enjoyed.

OK, now on to the point.

After reading JMS' mini I felt ripped off (even though enjoyed it) because the cover price of those books was rather high, considering it seemed like a retelling of Dr. Strange's origin. But, several months later, while flipping through some of JMS' earlier ASM issues I found one with Dr. Strange in it and proceeded to read it (cannot recall the #, but Spidey goes back in time thanks to the Dr. and "relives" all the key moments). At the end of this issue, in a sort of epilogue, Mordu, or whatever his name, goes back in time to alter Dr. Strange's origin, and there is an editor's note claiming this story will be told in a future unnamed mini-series.

Now, could it be that the JMS Dr. Strange mini was the mini in question? If so, did the events in that story differ from the Dr. Strange origin as told back in the Silver Age, and if so, do you think it has or will have any bearing on the character's future development??? I'm not a huge Dr. Strange fan, so it is quite possible that I am way off on this one, since I do not follow the character very closely...

The few people I told this to, seemed completely at a loss, so I am hoping someone out there is aware of this and can shed some light on the subject.

????

Unfortunately, Marvel probably never addressed the upcoming series. Maybe due to sales on JMS' book? They did the same thing in Marvel Team-Up by Kirkman just recently. Drives me freakin' nutz. Especially because I love those little info balloons referring to older/upcoming stories.

Pat

The Oath was not the series teased in ASM. I for one hope Marvel never gets to it if JMS is involved. I'm not a fan.

From JOE QUESADA'S NEWSARAMA COLUMN a few weeks ago:

Q: “archangel" - In Amazing Spidey #42 JMS wrote on page 4 that a Dr. Strange mini series, titled: "The Other Side of Darkness" will be written and will make sense of Dr. Strange actions in that story. Plus, on the same page was written that "No really. It will. Would we lie about a thing like that?"

So... will this mini ever see the light of day?

JQ: I’m so glad you asked that question, archangel. Why don’t we go to the source himself and see what the master, JMS has to say about this.

J. Michael Straczynski : Yo, you may be the archangel, but the friendly folks at Marvel are the ARC-angels, nothing is ever forgotten, it all lines up in the end, and when they say "Would we lie about a thing like that?" you can be absolutely certain that this would be a good time to check your wallet. So yes, absolutely and without equivocation, you will see what was happening on the other side of that door in "One More Day." Suffice to say it should be rather, well...devastating.

JQ: Man, and I thought I was good with the hype. You’ve heard it here first, folks, a Newsarama exclusive!

The Oath was not the series teased in ASM. I for one hope Marvel never gets to it if JMS is involved. I'm not a fan.

I was actually referring to the JMS Dr. Strange mini as being the series hinted at in the ASM issue,not the OATH.

I'll go back and see if it was in ASM #42 where they hinted at the mini I'm talking about, but I believe your reference to be ANOTHER hinted at story.

I'll look tonight - thanks!