• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Affect on Byrne Fantastic Fours

65 posts in this topic

I'm not saying no one was reading him, of course thats far from any truth, he was so popular. I just think that it was the older crowd reading him more & storing all the comics away. The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school.

Always loved the FF, and cared very much so who the artists were on the books I collected. I was 10 when Byrne took over FF.....and I loved his run. Well.....until Ordway started doing the inking. Ruined it for me.

I'm not saying no one was reading him, of course thats far from any truth, he was so popular. I just think that it was the older crowd reading him more & storing all the comics away. The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school.

Always loved the FF, and cared very much so who the artists were on the books I collected. I was 10 when Byrne took over FF.....and I loved his run. Well.....until Ordway started doing the inking. Ruined it for me.

Yeah Ordway SUCKED!!! It was funny when they first introduced "the Inking Wizardry" of Jerry Ordway. Ruined Byrnes artwork IMO

Yeah Ordway SUCKED!!! It was funny when they first introduced "the Inking Wizardry" of Jerry Ordway. Ruined Byrnes artwork IMO

Just terrible. The only thing worse than Ordway inking Byrne....was when Mooney inked Byrne on ASM 189 & 190. 893censored-thumb.gif

I think the movie affect may be starting. Some sellers on ebay are boosting their prices on 9.8 Byrne FFs. We may yet just make some dough from these. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-8-FANTASTIC-FO...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-8-FANTASTIC-FO...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-215-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know, because nostalgia might not be as wide spread for these. When I was growing up, it was during his FF run, and No one read FF. Just about all the kids read comics I knew, but it was ASM, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Batman, X-Men & GI Joe. I didn't even see an FF until I started collecting back issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am a bit older, and I actually gave up collecting comics at the time largely *because* of Byrne's run on FF.... confused-smiley-013.gif

WHAT????????????????

I don't know, because nostalgia might not be as wide spread for these. When I was growing up, it was during his FF run, and No one read FF. Just about all the kids read comics I knew, but it was ASM, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Batman, X-Men & GI Joe. I didn't even see an FF until I started collecting back issues. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am a bit older, and I actually gave up collecting comics at the time largely *because* of Byrne's run on FF.... confused-smiley-013.gif

WHAT????????????????

The original post brings up a point I read about a few years ago. It seems many older collectors left FF when Byrne took over the book. They were pissed off about some his changes including his tweaking of Doom's origin. I cant remember where I read that though it was a few years back. I wasnt into FF back then until I bought 249-250 and I remember being pissed when it was the Skrulls and not the X-men in 250.

27_laughing.gif

I want into FF back then until I bought 249-250 and I remember being pissed when it the Skrulls and not the X-men in 250.

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Let me clean that up a bit sometimes my thoughts move faster then my fingers.

What I meant to say was I wasnt into the FF until around 248 or so. I got pissed when I bought 250 took it home and the X-men werent in it. It was one of the many cover mis-leads I fell for in the 80s.

I want into FF back then until I bought 249-250 and I remember being pissed when it the Skrulls and not the X-men in 250.

What I meant to say was I wasnt into the FF until around 248 or so. I got pissed when I bought 250 took it home and the X-men werent in it. It was one of the many cover mis-leads I fell for in the 80s.

But it was a great story and a perfect tie in for the Gladiator, no?

But it was a great story and a perfect tie in for the Gladiator, no?

Yes it was, but I didnt buy the book back then for Gladiator I bought it because the X-men were supposed to be in it. Taught me to look past the cover on books. I did enjoy the issue just was a disappointed teenager at the time.

IMHO the books are not bad, better than some FF, but they are, in the end...FF

One of my favorate reads right now is Ultimate Fantastic Four, not trying to get off topic, just pointing out that generally the characters are weaker in FF and although the ART is good I don't think they let him go far enough. (see Ultimate FF for example).

I don't think the movie will have much of an impact. I don't think it will be all that good (compared to spiderman for example, or any of the X movies).

I left the banana dude on the end of that last post but they need to add a banana stuffing his pants with a wad of green stuff while he is in a dance like posture. We gotta have something associated with money given that we talk about it so much on the boards!