• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Affect on Byrne Fantastic Fours

65 posts in this topic

I think the movie affect may be starting. Some sellers on ebay are boosting their prices on 9.8 Byrne FFs. We may yet just make some dough from these. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-8-FANTASTIC-FO...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-8-FANTASTIC-FO...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-215-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if the 232 and 207 are too over inflated look at Pedigrees around the same number of 232 they are asking 50.00 for 9.6s 20.00 more isn't too bad for a 9.8 and the 207 there are only 8 in the census at 9.8. Plus he did say or best offer. angel.gif

I went through my Byrne FFs today and I had some good laughs. All those times they went out into space with only a glass helmet. In real life, space has zero atmospheric pressure which means that the human body would explode. How funny. Then they had all those stories about that nerdy Franklin. Those were the days!

'Childhood's End' (245 I think) was a great book. Still is IMO

OK but what do you think about them floating in space without pressure suits?

What do you think of a guy that can 'flame on'?

How about a guy that is made out of rock?

A guy that can stretch?

A woman that can turn invisible?

Does seeing them in space without pressure suits really bother you? foreheadslap.gif

You are comparing apples and oranges. We take the super powers at face value and add that to our fantasty reality. However, the other laws of nature are intact. So the earth has gravity in comics (unless a superhereo comes along who can alter it), etc. Clearly, Byrne made a big booboo. He knew that there was no oxygen to breath in space so they at least wore glass helmets. Had he known about zero atmospheric pressure, he'd a had those guys where space suits too. Actually I think it's pretty darn funny. He shoulda' watched that Sean Connery flick "Outland". 27_laughing.gif

Just terrible. The only thing worse than Ordway inking Byrne....was when Mooney inked Byrne on ASM 189 & 190. 893censored-thumb.gif

Mooney had an amazing talent for ruining anyone's pencils.

"The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school."

Hmm, well, I was 10-13 years old during the height of that Byrne run. I guess we city slickers care about other stuff, because we did talk about the artists, because Byrne seemed so cool at the time compared to the Sal Buscemas of the day.

"The actual kids i knew, who didn't really care about artists, it was about characters, and the FF were considered dorks. I am talking about the "Magic age" of Nostalgia, the 10 - 13 year old kids. I am also not speaking for everyone, just the kids that went to my grade school/middle school."

Hmm, well, I was 10-13 years old during the height of that Byrne run. I guess we city slickers care about other stuff, because we did talk about the artists, because Byrne seemed so cool at the time compared to the Sal Buscemas of the day.

I was 13 or 14 at the time and the reason I started collecting the run was because Byrne was drawing it. Although, I didn't care for him inking his own art. Spoiled by Terry Austin, I guess.

The Captain America #230 Cap/Hulk cover is by Ron Wilson and Bob Layton, not Sal Buscema. The cover to #223 may have been penciled by Sal, but he definitely did not ink it.

Sal Buscema was a pretty good artist in terms of panel layouts and storytelling, but he always used a pen to ink his work in the late 80s and 90s, so his inks never had the same variations in line density that some of the better artists had. It made even well-laid-out panels look boring to have virtually every inked line be the same weight.

Plus, he drew people in a very blocky way - no smooth, flowing lines.

I think Sal was a serviceable artist as a graphic storyteller, but his work was definitely more fun to look at when someone else inked it. By the time he was drawing Spectacular Spider-Man in the 1980s and early 1990s, I was really tired of his style.

It always puzzles me why Sal B gets so much flak on these boards. confused.gif Back then I could look at stuff like this all day long:

cloud9.gifCap230cgc98.jpg

Cap-223-98.jpg

I went through my Byrne FFs today and I had some good laughs. All those times they went out into space with only a glass helmet. In real life, space has zero atmospheric pressure which means that the human body would explode. How funny. Then they had all those stories about that nerdy Franklin. Those were the days!

In fact the human body would not explode:

Interesting reading on human body & outer space

In fact the human body would not explode:

Interesting reading on human body & outer space

I don't read the article that way. I've heard that putting a human in outer space without a pressure suit is like taking a deep sea fish and bringing them to the surface. The blow up. Either way, I'll do some searches too.