• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the point of the Overstreet Price Guide?

92 posts in this topic

The OSPG is a great resource, just not for prices. I use the overstreet all the time to refer to the issues notes as well as print runs, artist info, key notation, etc.

I buy the OSPG every year since I have 2-up, but I hardly ever look at it for pricing. I mainly use it for the non pricing information it contains.

I don't like the fact that it only goes to NM- (9.2) for ALL the books.

I buy the OSPG every year.

I don't like the fact that it only goes to NM- (9.2) for ALL the books.

If you use an older one you won't have that problem....,poke2.gif

Okay, the only reason OSPG exists is to give all collectors something to complain about. It's a well known fact that all collectors are whiny babies in search of the next teat from which to suckle from, so OSPG fulfills that need by allowing each genre something to which they can rally about as the end of all things.

End of discussion.

poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

At one time Overstreet tried to be like GPA, when they put out the Overstreet Price Review Magazine. The books that were listed were over a month old, and there was no way to check data older than that month. I guess that's why they gave up on that magazine, and GPA was coming on strong.

Sometimes we forget that there's a big wide world outside of these boards and not everybody swears by GPA/Heritage/eBay records as sole indicators of FMV.

OS remains what it says on the label...a 'guide' and when taken as a whole, it's still closer to the truth than any other vehicle.

gossip.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well that, and it's a giant pain in the *spoon* to stand at a dealer's table with your laptop trying to see whether the books are a good deal...

Plus I think you can pretty much throw out GPA data on any back issue book under $40. Because those prices are only useful if they reasonably predict what you can replace the item for. Knowing that a CGC 2.5 copy of Amazing Spider-Man #51 sells for $31 is essentially meaningless, because it's not as though you can just surf eBay for an hour and find another copy...

GPA is incredibly useful for pricing the very liquid books (like a 9.0 Hulk 181). And it's very useful at the top end of the market (in pricing a 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man 100). But it's chockfull of worthless as a measure of the market for a Fine copy of Uncle Scrooge #19.